• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

L4W Discussion Thread V

Luinnar

First Post
The essentials product seems to be rushed a bit rules wise. There are powers in the red box that were changed in the Heroes of the Fallen Lands. We don't have official confirmation on swapping powers outside the book or using different paragon paths or epic destinies (though they probably are allowed), we have no idea how to multiclass or how to hyrbid into the new classes... etc. Hopefully they will clear everything up soon.

evilbob

Explorer
So just found another perhaps either unforeseen change, or stealth nerf, from the recent change to Healing Word. It has lost its Divine keyword in Essentials. Now, what's the big deal you ask? Why let's look at the Pacifist Healer Feat. Well, it states that you must use a DIVINE power that allows the target to use a healing surge to benefit from this power, effectively rendering it much less effective as it doesn't now stretch to cover Healing Word for the cleric. Ironically, now the melee cleric has more powers that would trigger this feat (at least at lower levels)
I'm guessing they'll probably update the Pacifist Healer feat in some future publishing.

I think with essentials we're basically getting a "4.2".

Velmont

First Post
Cross-posted from LEB

So just found another perhaps either unforeseen change, or stealth nerf, from the recent change to Healing Word. It has lost its Divine keyword in Essentials. Now, what's the big deal you ask? Why let's look at the Pacifist Healer Feat. Well, it states that you must use a DIVINE power that allows the target to use a healing surge to benefit from this power, effectively rendering it much less effective as it doesn't now stretch to cover Healing Word for the cleric. Ironically, now the melee cleric has more powers that would trigger this feat (at least at lower levels)

[sblock=Compendium Entry]"Healing Word

You whisper a brief prayer as divine light washes over your target, helping to mend its wounds.

Encounter (Special) Healing
Minor Action Close burst 5 (10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)

Target: You or one ally in the burst

Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain 1d6 additional hit points.
Level 6: 2d6 additional hit points.
Level 11: 3d6 additional hit points.
Level 16: 4d6 additional hit points.
Level 21: 5d6 additional hit points.
Level 26: 6d6 additional hit points.

Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three times per encounter.

Update (8/2/2010)
Power updated to match Essentials data.[/sblock]

[sblock=Compendium entry for Pacifist Healer]
Pacifist Healer

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Cleric
Benefit: When you use a divine power that allows a target to spend a healing surge, the target regains additional hit points equal to 1d6 + your Charisma modifier. The additional hit points increase to 2d6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 3d6 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.
Also, whenever you hit or miss a bloodied enemy and deal damage to it, you are stunned until the end of your next turn.[/sblock]

Come on! Seriously! What the hell! Now I'm just angry! :rant: What the use of the feat now? Except Healinf Word, there is really not a lot of power giving healing surge that doesn't do damage. The weakness of teh feat is now counter productive.

Can't they give a break to the Pacifist Healer. If they didn't like the idea, they shouldn't have introduced it at first!!!!!

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

renau1g

First Post
Yeah I saw that and was like..damn that sucks for River, first the sucker punch to Healer's Lore and now this.

Ok, so a quick compendium check reveals this for Cleric powers up to 10th:

1) Healer's Mercy - Encounter
2) Healing Strike - Melee Weapon - Encounter
3) Return from Death's Door - Daily and requires ally to fail death save (need this in Chef's Request)
4) Resurgent Strength - Daily
5) Resurgent Sun - Melee Weapon - Encounter
6) Hallowed Advance - Melee - Daily
7) Bastion of Health - Encounter
8) Divine Favor - Daily
9) Zealous Sanction - Encounter
10) Forgemaster's Flame - Melee - Encounter
11) Strengthen the Faithful - Melee - Encounter
12) Crucial Resurgence - Melee - Daily
13) Word of Vigor - Encounter
14) Astral Refuge - Daily

So, for a pacifist PC there's about 55% of the available powers are ones they can use. The big one though was always Healing Word(s).

Velmont

First Post
What render me sick, it is that the Pacifist healer have been debuff since the start.

Life Transference => Now daily (more in Line with Cure Light Wounds)
Hymn of Resurgence => Now Close Blast (That was a typo I think)
Healer's Implement => Affect only healing surge power
Healer's Armor = > Affect only healing surge power
Healer's Lore = > Affect only healing surge power
Healing Word => No more Divine power (That make no sense in my opinion. Healing Infusion is still Arcane and Inspiring Word is still Martial)

The Pacifist Healer was too strong at first, but with MM3 monster out, the suggested correction to MM1 and MM2 damage, with all those change... and what make me sick, it is they come one at a time.

I'm sick of it. River will be no more pacifist. I love the character, but I hate the mechanic now, I'm sick of it and I want to have a different (and more stable) mechanic. I'm thinking of what are my option at the moment, but WotC got reason of River before you, r1.

evilbob

Explorer
I'm sick of it. River will be no more pacifist. I love the character, but I hate the mechanic now, I'm sick of it and I want to have a different (and more stable) mechanic. I'm thinking of what are my option at the moment, but WotC got reason of River before you, r1.
While this is a completely reasonable reaction to the continued beatings your character has received from WotC, I'd still urge you not to give up on a character concept you like just because the rules are screwing you over. Maybe make a new proposal or something or see if there's some way to rebuild your character, but just because the rules are stupid you shouldn't have to change playing a character you like!

CaBaNa

First Post
If I know Velmont, he'll keep the concept, and drop the feat. River is awesome, with or without Pacifist Healer, and always will be. He's been struggling with his pacifist beliefs for a while, and just came to terms with the natural need for death in the cycle of life, nature and everything in the universe.

Sorry to drop off the face of the earth there for a couple days without notice... RL does that to me every once in a while...

Anyway, I'm updating everything now, see you in game.

CaBaNa

Last edited:

Remove ads