D&D 4E Lack of interst in posting since 4e announcement?

sckeener

First Post
Just curious if anyone else feels a holding pattern, or waiting, or just a lack of interest in posting since the 4e announcement?

I have seen some designers posting, but nothing like before the 4e announcement.

And the designers that are posting seem to either be involved with 4e (and thus their announcements are more ads) or they want to be involved.

Edit: Just thought I'd add Garnfellow's quote to the original post since it was so much fun....enjoy the link.
Garnfellow said:
It's because every thread lately seems to boil down to this: Link

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
I'm less posting, especially about d20 stuff, but there's a few confounds:

* I have a 2-week old baby girl
* My new project is starting and it's a doozy, and it's also not system-specific so not much d20 posting, although I need to find a better way to "sell" it to potential contributors (like you, fair reader).
* People are talking to me on back channels (e-mail) a bit more

bento

Explorer
Yes.

My posting has been off from what it was this summer, with 4E playing a major part.

I participate on ENWorld to get tips on running my games, help others with their games, and finding out what's new (or old) and neat. Debating rule minutia about a game that won't be published for another seven months just doesn't thrill me. Nothing I say or do over on those threads will make a bit of difference, and only gets buried under with all the other comments after time. It's like arguing whether Iron Man's costume is cool or not by looking at still shots from a movie that doesn't come out until next summer.

As for rubbing elbows with WoTC/Paizo/Green Ronin/etc. writers on this board, I certainly enjoy asking them questions and getting their responses. It seems that many of them are now either on the inside of 4E creation and can't say much besides what their Marketing department approves of, or are on the outside looking in like the rest of us.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I can't say it's changed my posting habits much; if anything, I probably post more due to ramping up my own releases and the heightened debates about regular D&D issues.

tensen

First Post
sckeener said:
Just curious if anyone else feels a holding pattern, or waiting, or just a lack of interest in posting since the 4e announcement?

Just sick of going into threads that tend to wind up in arguments between the pro or con groups, without anything new.

jolt

Adventurer
As you can see from my info, I'm generally a lurker. However, except for a few initial posts, I now avoid the 4E section entirely. And even with my lurking, I'm concentrating less on D&D and more on general discussion, non-system/setting specific threads, etc. I'll often respond to poll threads for the curiosity factor.

Otherwise, it's like Bento said, my opinion doesn't matter and gets buried in any case or worse, starts an arguement.

Solid intellectual discussion when you have few facts but lots of conjecture is rare, especially on the Internet. In such cases, arguing is more common by a very large margin.

Arguing over the Internet has to rank among the least productive of all human endeavors.

jolt

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I've certainly been feeling a general malaise in regards to posting. Partially this is because I just don't feel enthusiastic about speculating over 4E; not the way I did about 3E back in 1999. I guess I'm just older and more jaded now. Likewise, the flip side of the coin is that posting about 3E just doesn't feel very relevant anymore. :(

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Yeah, I certainly post a lot less here since some of the info about 4e came out. There seems more 4e discussion than anything else, and I have no interest in 4e. So why post here ?

Andre

First Post
bento said:
I participate on ENWorld to get tips on running my games, help others with their games, and finding out what's new (or old) and neat. Debating rule minutia about a game that won't be published for another seven months just doesn't thrill me.

Gotta agree. I have no interest in threads where people are just arguing about 4E (especially when such arguements tend to 99% passion, 1% actual knowledge). In the past, I've bookmarked literally dozens of threads that I use for ideas and tips, but almost none in the past several months - currently there's just not much of use being posted.

C'mon people! Keep posting good stuff...I promise it'll get noticed despite the 4E background noise. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases