D&D 4E Lack of interst in posting since 4e announcement?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
sckeener said:
Just curious if anyone else feels a holding pattern, or waiting, or just a lack of interest in posting since the 4e announcement?

I have seen some designers posting, but nothing like before the 4e announcement.

And the designers that are posting seem to either be involved with 4e (and thus their announcements are more ads) or they want to be involved.

I agree. Since the announcement of 4E thats all that seems to be posting here these days. And as someone who isn't interested in 4E (and becoming less and less interested the more I read of it here...), I'm finding that I have less and less to comment on.

I don't want to give up on ENWorld but I can see it becoming more and more 4E and less D&D in general.

Ry

Explorer
DragonLancer said:
I agree. Since the announcement of 4E thats all that seems to be posting here these days. And as someone who isn't interested in 4E (and becoming less and less interested the more I read of it here...), I'm finding that I have less and less to comment on.

I don't want to give up on ENWorld but I can see it becoming more and more 4E and less D&D in general.

I'm doing something but I've had a hard time explaining what it is in a short enough post to get discussion off the ground.

Korgoth

First Post
Especially since the announcement of 4E, there has been a lot of (in my perception) open contempt and revilement of traditional D&D: random stat and hp generation, character mortality, traps, Western fantasy. There's a lot of rather ironic talk of "sacred cow burger", along with macho posturing.

EN World appears to be fast becoming the hang out for people who hold traditional D&D in contempt. That's a strong disincentive to spend very much time here.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Posting MUCH less frequently. There've been a couple of reasons.

1. I have no interest in 4e, and alot of the site is going that direction (even if a good number [still a minority, though] of the posters say they are not).

2. When 4e news first came out, the mods were really coming down hard on posters IMHO. I know they were just doing their job to keep the site sane because many posters were really overreacting, but the whole experience still left a bad taste in my mouth. [Note: I am in no way accusing the mods of doing anything innapropriate, fwiw. They had to do what was necessary, of course. I just hate that it was necessary because the edition war flames were so hot.]

Although the easy answer would be primarily #1, #2 is really the reason I quit posting much and became a lurker once more. I've no desire to get in the middle of an edition flame war while trying to enjoy my free time. I think the mods here are awesome and always will. But I've read too much 'love 4e or get out' stuff for me. Yep, it's official. Slap me with the grognard tag, I suppose.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Elf Witch said:
I have no plans at this time to switch my game to 4E and I guess deep down I am realizing that when 4E comes out I won't have a place to post here anymore because I won't be playing it and since my game is still going to be 3E most of the advice won't be relative to my game. So my interest has already started going.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who has no interest in 4e, and a lot of those who don't are among the heavier posters (meaning writing a lot of stuff, not the more enthusiastic eaters).

And this has always be a place for people who pretty much ignore Wizards and go with 3rd-party d20/OGL publishers, and I think Wizards has made an admirable work at alienating yet another big bunch of people with 4e and the things they'll be doing to D&D's flavour, both generally and that of its campaign settings.

So even if you won't go 4e, you'll still have enough company here.

Shade said:
Ditto here. At first, I posted rampantly about the new edition. Once I realized that a) I don't like where it's heading, and b) the 4e forum is essentially "love 4e unequivocally or get out", I've mostly fled back to my hole (the Creature Catalogue forums). I am closely monitoring the threads regarding Paizo's decision to convert or not, and check this forum for any "old school" love.

There does seem to be a growing number of people caught up in the "Are you in or out" mentallity. Kinda sucks.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Kae'Yoss said:
...I think Wizards has made an admirable work at alienating yet another big bunch of people with 4e and the things they'll be doing to D&D's flavour, both generally and that of its campaign settings.

And Gleemax....ewwww... and D&D Insider applications that don't work on my Mac...groan... etc etc.

I'd like to try 4e. I even plan to purchase the DMG, PH, and MM when they are released. But I have yet to hear anything about 4e that would make me try either playing in or running a campaign with the new rules.

An excerpt from an EN World thread regarding a lack of Sea Serpents in Monster Manuals states "I read this post and thought, Man, that is weird. I talked to James about it and he says he'll make it happen for the first MM after we have robust aquatic rules (DMG2 maybe? No promises!).", posted by WotC Logan; Logan Bonner, Mechanical Designer, Dungeons & Dragons, Wizards of the Coast.

Perhaps that's when I'll jump into 4e. But....ummm... no promises ;)

Khairn

First Post
Alzrius said:
I've certainly been feeling a general malaise in regards to posting. Partially this is because I just don't feel enthusiastic about speculating over 4E; not the way I did about 3E back in 1999. I guess I'm just older and more jaded now. Likewise, the flip side of the coin is that posting about 3E just doesn't feel very relevant anymore. :(

Absolutely true.

Korgoth said:
Especially since the announcement of 4E, there has been a lot of (in my perception) open contempt and revilement of traditional D&D: random stat and hp generation, character mortality, traps, Western fantasy. There's a lot of rather ironic talk of "sacred cow burger", along with macho posturing.

EN World appears to be fast becoming the hang out for people who hold traditional D&D in contempt. That's a strong disincentive to spend very much time here.

I'm experiencing the same perceptions about much of EN World, particularly over on th 4E forum. I'm not saying that its a "fact", just saying its a personal perception.

Last edited:

megamania said:
There does seem to be a growing number of people caught up in the "Are you in or out" mentallity. Kinda sucks.

"... caught up in the 'Are you in of out' mentality. Kinda sucks."

I don't think people are "caught up" in anything. I think they simply accept or reject the idea of a new edition, without having to see it. Choice is not an entrapmnent, it's empowering, and Wizards is about to notice that... in spades.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases