Ladies of Golarion: 1st ed vs 2nd ed art comparisons

ikos

Explorer
PF1E is on the left; PF2 is on the right. It shows a smattering of NPCs central to the setting, or tagential memorable NPCs found in adevenure paths. The art seems slightly more cartoonish than previous iterations, which was already very anime. I don't dislike it per se, but, would have enjoyed seeing a facelift in the opposite direction.

JeffB

Legend
I don't follow the AP's or the setting at all, so don't recognize any of these folks. I would say neither column does a thing for me and stylistically I would never be able to discern from 1/2 E. It's not drastic like say 3.5 to 4E, or 4E to 5E D&D. It all looks like typical Paizo.

Kaodi

Hero
Sorshen got done dirty in the new artwork. The second picture would be a fine illustration of other characters, but the first just has an amazing presence as would befit a Runelord.

I figured out that the pirate is Tessa Fairwind from Skulls & Shackles, and I would say her cover art is cooler by far than her chubby faced illustration.

The elf woman however got a major major upgrade. I skimmed through all of the AP covers and I cannot figure out who that is though.

dave2008

Legend
The elf woman however got a major major upgrade. I skimmed through all of the AP covers and I cannot figure out who that is though.
I disagree, I much prefer the look/design of the PF1e elf (I don't know who she is either) to the PF2e version. Now, the art of the PF2e version is "better," but that could just be the context (i.e. the first image may be an image of her from far away while the new one is a close up. That is what it looks like to me, but I don't know the reference images).

S'mon

Legend
Sorshen got done dirty in the new artwork. The second picture would be a fine illustration of other characters, but the first just has an amazing presence as would befit a Runelord.

Well per Return of the Runelords New Sorshen is an enlightened Non-Evil Strong Confident Woman who realises that unlike Lustful Evil Old Sorshen she doesn't need to use sex to get her way.

I suspect the players in my own Runelords campaign won't be quite as ready to accept Heel-Face'd New Sorshen as the Paizo writers seem to expect. I think some of them would prefer Alaznist!

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Well per Return of the Runelords New Sorshen is an enlightened Non-Evil Strong Confident Woman who realises that unlike Lustful Evil Old Sorshen she doesn't need to use sex to get her way.

I suspect the players in my own Runelords campaign won't be quite as ready to accept Heel-Face'd New Sorshen as the Paizo writers seem to expect. I think some of them would prefer Alaznist!

I'm fully expecting a Heel-Face-Heel turn eventually. I might be wrong, but if she goes evil again I will so not be surprised.

Kaodi

Hero
A world where at least one of the legendary Runelords was not so stupid as to die almost immediately after being reawakened works for me. Let Sorshen live at least until the last AP of PF3. I mean surviving is kinda her thing. Or just let her live effectively forever, like a normal mythical mage-ruler. The world is big enough for New Thassilon to be a permanent setting feature.

S'mon

Legend
A world where at least one of the legendary Runelords was not so stupid as to die almost immediately after being reawakened works for me.

Definitely agree with that - IMC Zutha & Krune are alive and active, Karzoug is active but still trapped in the Eye of Avarice, others are not known to be active yet. Krune holds Kaer Maga, recently had a fun vignette with his emissary's goodwill visit to Magnimmar, didn't go so well. :)

Re Sorshen, I can't see the peoples of Varisisa willingly giving up independence to her. They don't care what her alignment is. IMC Magnimar recently reformed the Sihedron, at considerable cost, precisely to stop Runelords conquering them.

Last edited:

Remove ads