• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lamest Creature You've used to good effect in your campaign

lukelightning

First Post
I said uniorns counted as lame in D&D because they fall into the category of "monsters you will probably never fight" since they are good.

I like my unicorns to be more like the original myths... they weren't sweetness and light but beasts that killed people and only the truly innocent (i.e. maidens) were safe. And there are some stories that imply that a unicorn's interest in maidens isn't, shall we say, out of any sort of noble character.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Huw said:
They used to be lame, when they just had bit parts in Isle of Dread and Castle Amber. Then Red Steel gave them a terrific back story. These guys invented powerful spells which would work on anything except another aranea (for donating to other races), and bred parasitic insects which hunted dragons.

So we have cunning dragon-hating spell researchers. And what do they become in 3e - sorcerors! Now they're back to lame.
A bottle of Wite-Out and a ballpoint pen can fix that to what it should be: A wizard with Eschew Material Components. ;)

Barak

First Post
While the do not qualify as lame, I never expected a Vrock to ruin my campaign. Turns out that a Mass Charm Person can be very, very deadly.

Tarangil

First Post
I have used your simple kobold to good effect. Since their intelligence is not that bad you can have fun frigging around the PC's even with a few of them.

I think my best was shortly after Two players (in second edition) One a Barbarian of 8th level, and a Cleric mage 7/7 had been overcocky after killing thier first dragon besides surviving other nasty problems. It was then when lost in the steppes of the Far eastern forgotten realms, a group of only 6 kobolds had nearly taken their lives. To make a long story short, they learned not to underestimate things that only have 1-4 hp's.

Cyberhawk

Community Supporter
I had a party that was going through a forest and an evil Grig had been hired to slow them down. I decided to play up the mischevious angle of the Fey as he gathered his monsters.

The party soon ran into the vicious army of the Grig:

1 Flail Snail
2 Dire Skunks
2 Rust Monsters.

It wasn't a tough battle but it was an awful lot of fun. :)

Herzog

Adventurer
Pixie paladin

Herobizkit said:
I've always wanted to play a pixie paladin. Consider this uber-yoinked... with authority. :p

In our party, our paladin got Polymorphed into a pixy.......

I'm still waiting to see if she wants to change back....

Herzog

Remove ads