Land Prices in Waterdeep

Xaltar

First Post
Okay, I've asked about charaters running shops, now for my somewhat related question:

What would land prices be for Waterdeep?

Renting and/or buying by District, Building Size and Type.

If you have any ideas, or know where I could find existing information then post on!

fusangite

First Post
I too have had some difficulty dealing with real estate prices in D&D. Any general information about land prices in the high fantasy universe would be great.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
I to was always wondering but land differs a lot from place to place. I guess you could go to a real estate site and see how much it costs. You could say 1gp=$1. I guess that would make a plot of land for you house outside of town approx 25000gp if you buy it outright. Probably 100,000gp inside the city. Those are just rough guesses.

Arnwyn

First Post
Steven Schend posting land prices for Waterdeep on the FR Mailing List some years back.

I know that doesn't help much, but it's there in the archives, somewhere (I'd help out more, but I'm at the office right now...) :(

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Just like in the real world, land prices would vary. In a city they would be quite steep, but much cheaper the farther you got from town. I would think that fertile land would be more expensive than rocky waste too.

How about this rule of thumb: real estate in the most desirable city areas would be 10gp per square foot, in the least desirable city areas it would be 4gp per square foot, and outside of town the cost would range from 5gp- 5cp per square foot.

What am I basing this on? Why, nothing at all! It just sounded reasonable, given what I know about the middle ages, D&D and real estate. In other words, I pulled it out of the air.:p

GAH! just when you think you've thought of everything..... now i gotta hit the books and figure an average out for this?! Ok people, you have got to stop having good questions i feel the need to spend days on trying to figure out....

joe b.

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
I'd go with the building prices in the DMG, maybe increased by 10-100% for being in the waterdeep. Renting a building would be around 20-30% of it's price per year, since interest rates tended to be quite high in those times. (Or I don't know, because with the wealth levels in DMG anyone of mediocre level could be a serious moneylender. ;))

The land price is a bit trickier. Some medieval towns didn't sell land, but rented it on a (very long) lease. IIRC London does it to this day. Land is leased on 100 year contracts... If you want WD to sell land, maybe consider around 1-5% of the price of the building to be constructed.

Of course these figures are mostly guesswork, that I came up with when my players started an office for their adventuring company.

Tiberius

Explorer
I'm pretty sure that the Stronghold Builder's Guide has charts and such for just this purpose. It doesn't have the prices for Waterdeep, but you could adapt what they say about metropoloi to suit your vision.

-Tiberius

MEG Hal

First Post
When I sold my Waterdeep 2BR, 1 outhouse home I went through Century 11, my sales person was Trom Dinkerdomes a fine young gnome.

Remember "Dinkerdomes sells Homes!"

Ok, what I am trying to say is I do not know.:p

Neo

Explorer
I seem to recall one of the old Dragon Magazines had the building prices for properties in waterdeep in the Sage Advice section, though I am unsure on the issue number i'm afraid.

Remove ads