D&D 5E Large and Tiny Races

Kristiano Tiago

First Post
I have just uploaded Large and Tiny Races to the downloads area.

Trolls and sprites as player races.

Note that these race options are intended to modern d20 adventures that rely most on firearms combat than close quarters combat, where the greater reach of the troll race is not more dangerous than a gnome firing a full magazine from a safe distance, and trolls are indeed easier to hit.
Likewise, sprites can easily find cover and are harder to hit, but will have trouble handling firearms made for Medium humanoids, so they have more movement and are specially gifted with magic.
Please let me know what do you think about it: Are they balanced? What's needed to improve?

You can find the file here in the downloads section. Please use this thread for comments.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
May I make a few suggestions?

I like how you've written the sprite so far, but players are going to ask why it doesn't have the same powers as the MM version. I would drop Trance, Hidden Step, and Sprite Magic and instead add in the Heart Sight and Invisibility options from the MM. Also, give it a racial weapon proficiency with longswords and shortbows. Also, Sprites should get Sylvan as a racial language.

Maybe, also, include an option related to having house cats as a racial enemy? But then you'd have to include a weakness to being bribed with pizza... Nevermind, ignore this option for now. I'll save it for my homebrew setting.

On trolls... Before I suggest, I'm going to ask. Is there a reason you didn't include their keen senses, natural armor, or natural weapons?

Last edited:

Kristiano Tiago

First Post
Thank you for your reply!

Suggestions are always welcome.

I want to hear both positive and negative feedback to my content because I want to transform it in a modern setting to be released in pdf form.

First, I failed to state that my version of sprite is a variant one. I'm currently working on a modern setting using the SRD5, so they will not be based on the Monster Manual sprite or any other official content (same as for the Troll race). I'm planning to release a quickstart in the next few months to present the material decently, for now I'm just showing the rules.

In my world, sprites and elves are very close to each other, they form a kind of secret fairy court centered on Beara Peninsula, at the southwestern coast of Ireland. So sharing the same language makes some sense (I left Sylvan for the ancient fey inhabiting the Otherworld). But, if the people ask me for a more traditional sprite (with Sylvan language, heartsight, etc…), I will be happy to change them to adapt to the audience.

Remove ads