• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Last Issue of Dungeon

Razz

Banned
Banned
Ok, I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Dungeon's last issue, but it's hard since I'm like a 45 minute drive from anywhere that might sell it in their magazine racks.

Can someone with the issue answer me a question about the klurichir's stats in the issue?

Here's the problem, I want to know how the editors handled the mess the Klurichir Demon's attack routine is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to its write-up in Fiend Folio:

ATTACK ROUTINE: It has 4 claws, but no where in the stat block does it give its claw damage. It only gives the attacks it makes with one battleaxe. Legally, it should be able to make 4 attacks with the battleaxe and 3 claw attacks as a full attack action. Does the issue give it a damage rating for the claws?

It then states OR two pincer attacks. But it should be allowed to make 2 pincer attacks along with its full attack, according to the rules for secondary attacks. However, according to the wording, it's saying it can either make an attack with its axe and claws OR its pincers, not both. Can it do battle axe/claws/pincer attacks as a full attack or can it only do them separately?

It then says it can also make a bite attack if it has you grappled by its pincers, but it doesn't give the damage for the bite attack nor does it give an attack bonus for the bite attack. Is the bite attack an extra secondary natural weapon it can use, or can it only attack with a bite if you've been grappled by its pincers? Does it deal automatic bite damage or does it make an attack roll?

It says it can make a spine attack as a ranged attack, but it doesn't say what action it takes to make a spine attack. Is it a free action or standard action? Can it use its spines as part of a full attack? It also doesn't say the range of the spine attack anywhere.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is, is any of this fixed or addressed in the issue with the creature? Thanks to whomever can answer this for me. I'm curious. This is my favorite demon and I'd like to know how the problems with it were handled, if they were handled at all.

Lancelot

Adventurer
Razz said:
My question is, is any of this fixed or addressed in the issue with the creature? Thanks to whomever can answer this for me. I'm curious. This is my favorite demon and I'd like to know how the problems with it were handled, if they were handled at all.

Bearing in mind the klurichir in issue #150 has a template applied to it (so I'm not sure if that affects the stat block)...

4 battleaxe attacks + 2 pincers...
OR ...1 slam + 2 pincers
OR ...1 ranged attack (spines)

No bite attack.

Additionally, it has Improved Grab (if one pincer hits), Rend (if both hit), and Vorpal Pincers (if held by at least one pincer). The latter allows it to make additional pincer attacks on the held opponent, with a critical hit resulting in the predictable mess... :cool:

Razz

Banned
Banned
Lancelot said:
Bearing in mind the klurichir in issue #150 has a template applied to it (so I'm not sure if that affects the stat block)...

4 battleaxe attacks + 2 pincers...
OR ...1 slam + 2 pincers
OR ...1 ranged attack (spines)

No bite attack.

Additionally, it has Improved Grab (if one pincer hits), Rend (if both hit), and Vorpal Pincers (if held by at least one pincer). The latter allows it to make additional pincer attacks on the held opponent, with a critical hit resulting in the predictable mess... :cool:

Strange.

It has no claw attacks yet it has 4 claws/arms in its description? Four arms but only uses one? Weird. I was hoping they'd fix that goof in this issue, but the Klurichir in #150 seems to just be halfway patched. What about the range on its spine attack?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Razz said:
Strange.

It has no claw attacks yet it has 4 claws/arms in its description? Four arms but only uses one? Weird. I was hoping they'd fix that goof in this issue, but the Klurichir in #150 seems to just be halfway patched. What about the range on its spine attack?

Well... he's using one of those claws/hands to hold a magic item.

And to be honest... patching the klurichir was pretty low on the to-do list for that issue, which was 32 pages longer than normal and was worked on simultaneously to the creation of Pathfinder #1. The index alone almost made me regress into a flesh-eating caveman.

Nlogue

First Post
James Jacobs said:
Well... he's using one of those claws/hands to hold a magic item.

And to be honest... patching the klurichir was pretty low on the to-do list for that issue, which was 32 pages longer than normal and was worked on simultaneously to the creation of Pathfinder #1. The index alone almost made me regress into a flesh-eating caveman.

Regress!

chaotix42

First Post
The klurichir is wielding a two-handed axe as well as a rod of rulership, so that's three limbs occupied, one remaining for a slam. Just toss the extra slam in there after his axe attacks and before the pincers. He should get four slams with all hands free, IMO.

This bad boy has Leadership, too. I just might have to stat up his companion...

wedgeski

Adventurer
I was going to post a whole thread on the full-page 'THANK YOU' ad that Wizards put in there for Paizo, but I'll drop it here instead. I thought it was a nice gesture.

Razz

Banned
Banned
chaotix42 said:
The klurichir is wielding a two-handed axe as well as a rod of rulership, so that's three limbs occupied, one remaining for a slam. Just toss the extra slam in there after his axe attacks and before the pincers. He should get four slams with all hands free, IMO.

This bad boy has Leadership, too. I just might have to stat up his companion...

Well he only has a slam because he has the drowned one template. Otherwise...it just has 4 useless arms, with claws apparently, that don't deal damage...? :confused:

I guess I'll reverse engineer the klurichir, rate the damage for the claws at 2d6 damage, place the spines at the same range as a manticore's (180 ft., no range increment) and call it a final fix to the klurichir and then I'll finally have a working, satisfiable klurichir demon.

I'm a huge fan of this demon (it's different and more fun than a balor...because balors are just overrated now) and I was quite peeved at the jumbled wording it received in Fiend Folio and even more peeved at the lack of errata for the damn thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads