D&D 4E Late to the 4E party

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
@Bob_in_DC , it really is great to see someone giving my favourite version of D&D a go so I really hope you and your players enjoy the experience.

(snip) 1) I subscribed to D&D Insider and poked around for a while.
(A) I found it hard to get a good sense of what's in the books I don't have (for example, the Essentials books) since, as far as I can tell, you can't just read them straight through. I used the filter to check out a lot of the rules from the various books, so I think I have a vague idea, but it's not as clear to me as just reading it straight through.

(B) I downloaded all the issues of Dragon and Dungeon, except for the various issues in the middle where they don't let you download whole issues (for those, I looked through and downloaded a handful of individual articles that seemed particularly noteworthy, but there weren't many of them). (snip)

A. Really, the rules are the same (with a few exceptions) from the time of 4E's release until the end so you're not missing anything by not reading the books.

The exceptions are: monster maths (the most important), solo monster design, and possibly the stealth rules. As the DM, you really don't need to have a grasp on class, feat, and/or race changes because they don't impact your job.

Also, the truly unique (and I mean "unique" in its proper sense, not in the internet sense) thing about 4E is that it is the only edition of D&D where the designers got better in their mastery of the rules and creation of new content over the course of the life of the edition.

TL; DR: Don't worry about anything other than the new monster creation rules.

B. I spent a few afternoons putting all of the Dungeon and Dragon articles together into their own compiled PDFs. I must admit, I had the same belief that you did - there were only a few worthwhile articles - but, since having the compiled issues on my tablet and reading through the compilations whenever I was filling in time, I found there was a lot of good material there that I simply hadn't noticed.

TL;DR: There's more good stuff there than is first apparent but it probably won't impact this game.

(snip) 2) My players and I agreed that we didn't want to deal with the complexity of working through the Essentials and other later books and figuring out which rules to use. We're just going to stick with the original PHB. To the extent that I have access to errata, I'll do my best to incorporate that, but I'll try not to worry about that too much. We plan to use Character Builder, so any character-specific errata should be included automatically. (snip)

Work through the books? Other than the Monster Vaults, I agree: don't do that. But you have the character builder: play with everything. I have a new group about to start so I started doing pregen characters to make it easier for them. I have more than 60 to choose from now because I get playing with various combinations. I didn't have the patience to read through class descriptions in the books but I love mucking around on the character builder.

TL;DR: You can't separate out PHB content on the character builder. Don't worry about it. It all works.

(snip) 3) While my players are normally fairly big on characterization and story, they're not interested in that for now. They both want to do pure hack and slash just to assess and gain experience with the 4E combat mechanics. My thought, therefore, is to pick up the Dungeon Delve, have them create first level characters, and run through the first level dungeon in Dungeon Delve. If my players are interested in continuing, we'll level up to level 2, run through the second level dungeon in Dungeon Delve, and repeat until we get tired of it, decide to create new characters and start a legitimate adventure, or reach level 30, whichever comes first. I understand that each level of Dungeon Delve only has three encounters; my players see that as an advantage, since it'll give them a good sense of what each level is like without taking forever for them to advance. (snip)

That's an interesting idea but, IME and YMMV, players need more than combat to keep their interest. There has to be some sort of emotional connection which typically comes from NPC interactions. May I suggest that you add a bit of story around the encounters in Dungeon Delve so that there can also be some meaningful NPC interaction. Otherwise, once the combat grind starts - and that can happen in 4E - you might find your players just lose interest.

On the subject of combat grind, I would update the stat blocks in Dungeon Delve to match the post-MMIII/DSCS monster maths. It's easy enough to do with the monster builder or you can just start a thread here and I am sure 4E fans will help.

(snip) 4) My players agreed to play two characters each for a total of four characters. Given our interest in starting with the basics, they'll collectively play a fighter, cleric, rogue, and wizard (they also decided that whoever plays the wizard will not also play the cleric, so each one will get a spellcaster and a non-spellcaster to see what kind of differences there are, if any). They'll also each play one human and one demi-human. (snip)

Frankly, two players each with two characters has been my favourite way to run D&D for about 15 years. It has huge scheduling advantages - and for a time-consuming activity like D&D, the importance of scheduling cannot be underestimated - and there is another benefit: you only have to shine the spotlight on two characters every session.

Players naturally want their characters to have some spotlight time, especially in a game with more story/NPC interaction. When you have two players, you only have to shine the spotlight on one of each of their characters in order to keep the player engaged. That's much easier for the DM to manage.

As for class choice, you have the character builder so I would recommend letting your players also choose from the variant cleric (warpriest), fighter (knight, slayer), rogue (thief), and wizard (mage) classes that appeared in the later material. They're generally simpler classes with fewer choices but they're balanced in play and, frankly, a lot of fun. (I am a huge fan of the half-orc slayer, in particular. :) )

(snip) So, I think that's about it. Does that all sound reasonable to you? Is there anything I'm missing?

I understand that Dungeon Delve is designed to work with specific dungeon tiles. I'm happy to get some of those; does anyone know which ones I need to get? I plan to get everything in one big order.

Someone on Amazon said that Dungeon Delve is designed for five characters. I'd hate to ask my players to add another character to their load; how difficult will it be for me to adjust the difficulty down to account for the fact that the party will only have four characters?

I think that's it. Thanks again.

Honestly, dungeon tiles are a pain in the neck (literally, even, because you have to crane your neck as you search through the pile for the one you want). While they look great, there is no easy way to manage your collection or to use them with any degree of alacrity unless, of course, you game in your house and can build the maps before your players arrive (and that takes time).

Wet or dry erase maps really are the way to go in terms of utility. IME. IME. YMMV. (Dungeon Delve mentions which tiles are required at the beginning of each delve. If I have some time I will transcribe them for you.)

As for adjusting encounters, just remove one-fifth of the encounter's strength according to XP value. That's close enough. Otherwise, don't. 4E PCs are tough; they will probably handle the encounters with aplomb. (I still use encounters designed for five PCs with my four PC group. Granted, I use a slightly higher point buy so they're a lit bit tougher but clever play, especially, if the leader is played well [and the controller to a lesser extent], means they can punch above their weight.)

Good luck with your game and I hope you will post your experiences here!:)

Last edited:

Bob_in_DC

First Post
Thanks, Scrivener. I appreciate your thoughts and will see what I can do with them.

I did just want to respond to your point about adding a story: my players and I discussed it, and they're firmly in the pure combat/Dungeon Delve camp. They're good at creating interesting characters with rich backstories, and I have a lot of ideas for a campaign setting, but for our current purposes they just want to try the system and see what they think. No one has phrased it this way, but the bottom line is that they don't want to spend the time developing character backstories and personalities, and don't want me to spend the time coming up with a campaign world and story, if we're going to play twice and decide to go back to other systems.

If they like it, I'm sure we'll be more than happy to create new, richly-described characters set in a well-developed campaign world with an ongoing narrative. In which case I'll be back here looking for help with that, but one step at a time.

Thanks again!

Dungeoneer

First Post
I did just want to respond to your point about adding a story: my players and I discussed it, and they're firmly in the pure combat/Dungeon Delve camp. They're good at creating interesting characters with rich backstories, and I have a lot of ideas for a campaign setting, but for our current purposes they just want to try the system and see what they think. No one has phrased it this way, but the bottom line is that they don't want to spend the time developing character backstories and personalities, and don't want me to spend the time coming up with a campaign world and story, if we're going to play twice and decide to go back to other systems.

If they like it, I'm sure we'll be more than happy to create new, richly-described characters set in a well-developed campaign world with an ongoing narrative. In which case I'll be back here looking for help with that, but one step at a time.

Thanks again!
I would just add that pure combat can be a lot of fun in 4e, done right. The combat system is deep and will reward tactical thinking. As a DM you can make it work by coming up with encounters that challenge your players: a diversity of monsters, interesting terrain and good positioning are key. As your group gains experience don't be afraid to ramp up the difficulty. The best fights are the ones they barely win!

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Thanks, Scrivener. I appreciate your thoughts and will see what I can do with them.

Thanks again!

You're most welcome!

Oh yeah, I can understand what you are saying. And hopefully you will have them itching for a real campaign before level 30 rolls around! :)

I would just add that pure combat can be a lot of fun in 4e, done right. The combat system is deep and will reward tactical thinking. As a DM you can make it work by coming up with encounters that challenge your players: a diversity of monsters, interesting terrain and good positioning are key. As your group gains experience don't be afraid to ramp up the difficulty. The best fights are the ones they barely win!

That's a really good point. It's very much a game-within-a-game.

And now I really need to crank out a few delves for new players.... :)

I agree, combat can be the centerpiece of a campaign in 4e and carry it. I'd also point back to what D'Karr said on page one, and emphasize it more:

4e's real shtick, its amazing strength, is 'Indiana Jones' style play. The PCs are TOUGH, and resourceful and can pull through, but they also get knocked down close to death reasonably easily, so the game creates a lot of tension and a lot of opportunity for the players to do crazy stuff.

I haven't actually read through the delve book, its one I don't have and frankly probably don't want. I'm going to guess, based in its vintage and the brief glimpses I had in the store, that it is pretty much static setpiece encounters. I'm sure they incorporate some tactical interest, but my guess is they could use a LOT more. You want boiling lava pits with rope bridges that end up breaking, out of control mine cars racing down tracks towards switches that send you off a cliff into a raging underground river unless you switch them (and some kobolds ready to undo your work if you aren't clever). That sort of thing. My best adventures were things like a big sawmill where the BBG was about saw the maiden in half and corny stuff like that (complete with swinging hooks and etc).

So, think about working in some of that or just writing up some encounters of your own that are a bit wilder than what WotC seems willing to do. Its actually pretty easy once you have an idea the nuts and bolts fall into place easily.

MarkB

Legend
The Stealth rules are worth mentioning, because the ones published initially in the Player's Handbook, pre-errata, just plain don't make sense.

They went through a couple of revisions, and the version they ended up with is very pragmatic, sensible and easy to run, so if you grab anything from DDI, that would be it.

I believe the flying rules went through some revision also, so it's worth seeking out the latest version of them - assuming it comes up in your game.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
To adapt an encounter designed for 5 players to 4 PCs, you could always just remove a level from every monster. The math should be about right. This approach is particularly useful for combats involving solos or elites, where you can't just remove one standard monsters.

I'll second the nomination of Living Forgotten Realms as a valuable resource for delves. These adventures are also nice in that they specify how to adjust every encounter for 4 PCs.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=6778397]Bob_in_DC[/MENTION]

I don't know the Dungeon Delve book except by reputation. My gut feel is that 4 PCs doing encounters meant for 5 will be fine, and will add to the "edge" that you are looking for in a pure-combat game.

MarkB

Legend
[MENTION=6778397]Bob_in_DC[/MENTION]

I don't know the Dungeon Delve book except by reputation. My gut feel is that 4 PCs doing encounters meant for 5 will be fine, and will add to the "edge" that you are looking for in a pure-combat game.

Maybe go easy on them in the beginning, but if they can start to synergise well as a team, they'll be able to take on a lot more.

Our current group is just finishing a run through the first round of adventures released for 4e, and we went down from a 5-character group to 4 characters around mid-Paragon tier. At first our DM started adjusting encounters accordingly, but after a few sessions he stopped bothering, as we were quite comfortably taking on the full-scale encounters without serious trouble.

The Stealth rules are worth mentioning, because the ones published initially in the Player's Handbook, pre-errata, just plain don't make sense.

They went through a couple of revisions, and the version they ended up with is very pragmatic, sensible and easy to run, so if you grab anything from DDI, that would be it.

I believe the flying rules went through some revision also, so it's worth seeking out the latest version of them - assuming it comes up in your game.

Which is why it is worth having a Rules Compendium. Interestingly that book is one of the few that has actually gone UP in value. New they are now up to around $35 (right this minute on Amazon, it does vary a lot). You can get used ones cheap though. Its probably worth the $10 to snag one. A LOT of the errata is in there already and you don't have to think about it.

Remove ads