Latest ICv2 Stats Sees Free League's 'Alien' RPG Sneak Into Top 5!

ICv2's top hobby channel roleplaying games chart is in (this reflects Fall 2019). The top spots are the same as usual, while the bottom as always features the flavor of the day -- in this case, it's Free League's awesome Alien RPG, knocking Vampire 5E off the list.

alien.jpg

I'm not totally clear on the dates covered here, as Alien didn't come out until December or so. It had a pre-launch at Dragonmeet in London, followed up by a full launch a week or two later.

They also report that 2019 was the 11th consecutive year of hobby game growth, up 5% from 2018.

The chart is as follows:
  1. Dungeons & Dragons (WotC)
  2. Pathfinder (Paizo)
  3. Shadowrun 6E (Catalyst Game Labs)
  4. Star Wars (FFG)
  5. Alien (Free League)
Free League, of course, also announced they'd picked up the Middle Earth license today.

See the top charts going back to 2004 here.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not sure how long Alien will last
There's a lot more they can do with the line. Maybe it doesn't have the legs of a LotR or Star Wars (present difficulties aside), but off the top of my head:

1) Sourcebooks on various aspects of the Aliens universe (some of these are already in the works, I understand)
2) A fleshed out atlas, or series of atlases, on worlds throughout the universe, using material from non-movie material that will be new to a lot of fans
3) A bestiary that contains more threats than just the xenomorphs, which will help extend the line's life
4) A sourcebook for Earth and the Solar System which would dramatically expand the play possibilities -- I can imagine running the equivalent of Blade Runner adventures inside the Solar System
5) One or more lines of campaign adventures
6) And, of course, lots of terrifying standalone one-shot adventures (releasing these each October seems like a fun way to create an annual tradition)

Aliens is easily one of the biggest licenses ever adapted to RPGs -- I love Goodman Games' works, but all of their licenses combined aren't as popular as Aliens. That's a huge audience to potentially appeal to, at a time when the RPG audience is bigger than it's ever been.

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
There's a lot more they can do with the line. Maybe it doesn't have the legs of a LotR or Star Wars (present difficulties aside), but off the top of my head:

1) Sourcebooks on various aspects of the Aliens universe (some of these are already in the works, I understand)
2) A fleshed out atlas, or series of atlases, on worlds throughout the universe, using material from non-movie material that will be new to a lot of fans
3) A bestiary that contains more threats than just the xenomorphs, which will help expand the line's life
4) A sourcebook for Earth and the Solar System which would dramatically expand the play possibilities -- I can imagine running the equivalent of Blade Runner adventures inside the Solar System
5) One or more lines of campaign adventures
6) And, of course, lots of terrifying standalone one-shot adventures (releasing these each October seems like a fun way to create an annual tradition)

Aliens is easily one of the biggest licenses ever adapted to RPGs -- I love Goodman Games' works, but all of their licenses combined aren't as popular as Aliens. That's a huge audience to potentially appeal to, at a time when the RPG audience is bigger than it's ever been.
There are all great ideas. Really hope the publisher will read this and get inspired.
The "Stress Dice" of the Alien RPG are some of the best game mechanics I have experienced.

GreyLord

Legend
I don't understand how Shadowrun succeeded in building such a following.

Not sure myself, but I got interested in Shadowrun due to videogames that they released with Shadowrun as the background (or the newer ones with it as a ruleset such as Shadowrun Dragonfall or Hong Kong).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases