Latin Help

Baron Opal

First Post
If Anno Domini is "the year of our Lord", what is "the year after the star fell"? I am timing my campaign after a major asteroid impact and would like an appropriate latinate dating system.

Thanks.

Nikodemus

First Post
There are a number of ways you could do it, but I would go with.

anno post stella correnda

That assumes that the star falling down was a shattering, cataclysmic sort of event.

mmadsen

First Post
If Anno Domini is "the year of our Lord", what is "the year after the star fell"?
How are you going to use this term? Because in Latin one "declines" a noun differently depending on whether it's the subject or object of a sentence -- in the same way that we use different pronouns for I, me, and my, even though they all reference the same person.

jinnetics

Explorer
If Anno Domini is "the year of our Lord", what is "the year after the star fell"? I am timing my campaign after a major asteroid impact and would like an appropriate latinate dating system.

Thanks.

I'm assuming you'd want to keep it short, like Anno Domini ... so you'd have to get a little creative to do that. Maybe: Anno Cometei (I think I declined that correctly... I'm a little rusty!)

:-S

Baron Opal

First Post
It is just for the date. "The current year is 392 Anno Astris, in the nearly four hundred years since the starfall..." and it gives me something to write after the year number. Two or three words would be best.

I have avoided using any kind of obvious Roman or Aristotolean - four elements parallell for a long time. Now I feel I can rob history much more openly with my current players. It has been a long time since high school when I did it last.

Last edited:

drquestion

Explorer
"Anno post casum stellae" would be "The year after the fall of the star"

"Anno post cometam" would also work - "cometa" can be used for a meteor or falling star, not just a comet.

Also, not that "anno" is dative - it means "in the year," not just "the year." The nominative form is "annus."

Nikodemus

First Post
"Anno post casum stellae" would be "The year after the fall of the star"

"Anno post cometam" would also work - "cometa" can be used for a meteor or falling star, not just a comet.

Also, not that "anno" is dative - it means "in the year," not just "the year." The nominative form is "annus."

It doesn't change the form in this particular case, but anno is an ablative of time. is it not? I like your first one best.

Remove ads