Lazy DM: Planescape NPCs

VariSami

First Post
Hi. I just got this crazy idea. Let's see if anyone's interested in contributing.

Basically, I'm going to run a Planescape Campaign in 3.5 once I'm done converting Factions in a way that's to my liking and one I've prepared a few hooks. Since Planescape allows for almost anything to appear, I'd prefer to have a wide variety of NPCs at a moment's notice. That's what this thread is about. I do enjoy making characters but there's always not enough time. Besides, others might have really inspiring and fresh ideas.

I'm probably going to contribute with build of my own in case someone else finds this useful but mostly I'm asking for people to share (exotic) NPCs of different levels. Personally I'd prefer them not to be hyper-optimized but believable instead. Since infinity (the scale of Planescape) implies that all possible combinations have probably been realized at some point, anything is possible, however. That's one of the reasons I place no other limitations to my players than no using Dragon (Dragon Compendium is ok, though) and no using 3rd party material.

I'd like any possible contributions to be in a ready to use format. Such as the following:

[Name / Archetype] CR
Gender, Race, Classes
Alignment, Size, Creature type
Initiative Mod
Senses (Spot, Listen, Special senses)
Languages
AC (touch, flat-footed)
hp
Saves: Fort, Ref, Will
Speed, Movement Types
Attacks:
- [Attack type]: weapon, atk bonus, dmg (+effects)
Base Atk, Grapple Mod
Special Attacks
[Spells Known / Prepared]: X/d - [level] - [spell names]
Abilities:
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
Special Qualities
Feats
Skills
Possessions
(+ability explanations)

As you may note, this is the standard formatting 3.5 books use. I just kind of like it.

I'm going to post a Synad Factotum and a Dvati Spellthief later today myself. They run a pawnshop in Sigil and I kind of enjoy the idea of co-operation between a person with three minds and another with two bodies.

VariSami

First Post
Zan-See-Ovr CR 5
Male Synad Factotum5 (CoP 140, DS 15)
N medium aberration
Init +5
Senses Darkvision 60ft, Spot +9
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Infernal, Synad

AC 20 (touch 15, flat-footed 17)
hp 31 (5HD)
Fort +2 Ref +6 Will +4
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)

Attacks:
- Wand (Orb of Force) +6 ranged touch (10d6)
Base Atk +3 Grp +6
Special Attacks
-Arcane Diletantte (Alter Self, Greater Mage Hand (SC 136))
-Cunning Strike
-Opportunistic Piety

Str 10 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 12 Cha 12

Special Qualities
Racial Abilities (CoP 140):
Aberration Traits, Collective, Darkvision 60ft., Multitask, Naturally psionic (3PP), Oracle,
Threefold Mind
Class Abilities (DS 16-17):
Arcane Diletantte (2nd level), Brains over Brawn, Cunning Defense, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge,
Cunning Strike, Inspiration (5), Opportunistic Piety

Feats
Enhanced Synad Multitask (CoP 58), Font of Inspiration

Skills
Appraise +11, Autohypnosis +9, Gather Information +11, Knowledge (Arcana) +7,
Knowledge (Psionics) +9, Knowledge (Sigil local) +11, Profession (bookkeeper) +9,
Spellcraft +13, Spot +9, Use Magic Device +9

Possessions
Hat of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic (DMG 259), Monocle of Perusal (MIC 117),
Wand of Orb of Force (20 charges, CL10), +1 Glamered mithral shirt, Ring of Protection +2

Books used: Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Psionic, Dungeonscape, Magic Item Compendium,
Spell Compendium

Zan-See-Ovr are a Synod that strayed to the Astral Plane during the great emigration of their race. From there they found their way to the Outlands and finally to Sigil. They've had quite a while to adapt to the buzzing lifestyle of the Cage and have recently managed to open shop in the Lower Ward. They are also a part of the Transcendent Order.

Zan (as most call them) are well-informed about the happenings in Sigil and put this to good use. They deal in information just as much as they do in used goods.

They rarely leave the shop themselves, preferring to employ spies such as Zara and Sara. The overmind known as Zan enjoys dark humor and gorgeous headwear. Sales can be achieved with new riddles and worthy rumors.

Zara & Sara CR 4
Female Dvati Spellthief4 (DrC 15, CAd 15)
CG medium humanoid
Init +3
Senses Darkvision 60ft,
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Dvati, Infernal

AC 17 (touch 14, flat-footed 14)
hp 16 (24) (4HD)
Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +4
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)

Attacks:
- Kusari-Gama (10ft.) +7 (1d6) (Zara: Dimensional Anchor 2/d, 10 min; Sara: 1/d Paralyzed
(Will DC 17, 10 rounds, repeat save each turn)
Base Atk +3 Grp +2
Special Attacks
- Sneak Attack +1d6
- Steal Energy Resistance 10
- Steal Spell (2nd level or lower)
- Steal Spell Effect

Spellthief Spells Known (CL2):
1 (1/d) - Charm Person, Disguise Self

Str 8 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 14

Special Qualities
Racial Abilities
Darkvision 60ft., Twins, Echo Attack, Pair Link, Spell Conductor

Class Abilities
Detect Magic, Sneak Attack +1d6, Spellgrace +1, Steal Energy Resistance 10, Steal Spell (up to 2nd),
Steal Spell Effect, Trapfinding

Feats
Exotic Weapon Profiency (Kusari-Gama) (DMG 145), Weapon Finesse

Skills
Bluff +10, Concentration +10, Gather Information +12, Hide +11, Knowledge (Sigil local) +10,
Move Silently +11, Search +10, Tumble +11

Possessions
+1 Binding Kusari-Gama (Zara) (MIC 29), +1 Paralyzing Kusari-Gama (Sara) (MIC 40),
Mwk Studded Leather Armor, Healing Belt (MIC 110), Ring of Protection +1, Potion of Glibness

Books used: Complete Adventurer, Dragon Compendium, Magic Item Compendium

Zara and Sara is originally from the Prime World of Cathay. She was employed as a clan spy by the Clan of the Twins and was investigating the Clan of the Virgin when she stumbled upon a portal to Sigil. In there she happened to come across a certain Zan-See-Ovr and developed a partnership with them over time. She belongs in the Transcendent Order.

Zara and Sara works both as a shophand and as a informant for Zan-See-Ovr. Most often one of her is responsible for the shop while the other scours Sigil (especially the Bazaar) for information and goods. She can immediately inform Zan about what is happening around Sigil.

Having been formally trained as a spy, Zara and Sara can manifest multiple roles. She often seems flirty yet the truth about her is that she takes her loyalty to Zan-See-Ovr dead serious. There is no romantic friction between them but rather, strong bonds forged by common experiences in the Cage.

Mark Gallant VII CR 5
Warforged Knight3; Psychic Warrior2
LN medium construct (living construct)
Init +2
Senses Listen +1, Spot +1
Languages Common
AC 19 (touch, flat-footed)
hp 54 (5HD)
Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +4
Speed 20ft. (4 squares)

Attacks:
- +1 Banishing Silver Glaive +10 (1d10+6/x3) (3/d: banish extraplanar to home plane, Will DC 20/22)
- Mwk Armor Spikes +10 (1d6)
Base Atk +5 Grp +7
Special Attacks
- Knight's Challenge (Fighting Challenge +1) 1/d
- Stand Still (AoO, DC 10+dmg)

Powers Known (Power Points: 2)
1 - Expansion

Str 14 (18) Dex 14 Con 16 Int 8 Wis 13 Cha 10

Special Qualities
Racial Abilities
Composite Plating, Light Fortification, Living Construct Traits

Class Abilities
Bulwark of Defense, Fighting Challenge +1, Knight's Challenge (1/d), Knight's Code,
Mounted Combat, Shield Block +1 (PHBII 25-28)

Feats
Adamantine Body (MM3 192), Combat Reflexes, Improved Toughness (CW 101), Stand Still (PsHB 51)

Skills
Concentration +7

Possessions
+1 Banishing Silver Glaive (MIC 28), Belt of Giant Strength +4,
+2 Mindarmor plating (MIC 13), Masterwork Armor Spikes

Books used: Complete Warrior, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Monster Manual III, Magic Item
Compendium, Psionics Handbook

Mark Gallant VII is originally not from Eberron but rather, it is an experiment by an Eberron prime artificer who lives in the Outlands. It strayed to Sigil through a portal by accident and was forced to adapt to the Cage over decades (adaptability is not one of its strongest points). It was finally picked up by Zan-See-Ovr and was convinced that it now belonged to him. It now belonged in "Zan's team" to be precise, though Mark Gallant VII has trouble understanding the concept. It considers itself the property of Zan-See-Ovr but also takes commands from the being known as Zara and Sara.

Mark Gallant VII was originally designed as a guardian. It has proven to be capable at this when protecting Zan-See-Ovr's pawnshop. It spends most of its time as decoration, however.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. The first two characters both belong to the Transcendent Order. Mark Gallant VII is not a part of any faction but could become a Mercykiller at some point, especially if Zan-See-Ovr was to be killed.

Edit2: Added Skill synergies to skill check bonuses. Almost forgot.

Last edited:

Remove ads