Lazybones's Keep on the Shadowfell/Thunderspire Labyrinth

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Lovin' it! Can't wait for the next chapter.

Is Beetle a Rogue or a Fighter? He could go either way, with the info we have on him.

Lazybones, I've noticed that sometimes you use character classes and PrCs hand in hand with character development. With the Paragon classes in 4e, will you be doing that as well?

Lazybones

Adventurer
Is Beetle a Rogue or a Fighter? He could go either way, with the info we have on him.

Lazybones, I've noticed that sometimes you use character classes and PrCs hand in hand with character development. With the Paragon classes in 4e, will you be doing that as well?
He's a rogue. I know that makes him rather similar to Jayse (the pregen), but I'm going to try to take his character in some different directions.

Regarding the Paragon paths, I'm not sure yet. I don't have the 4e books yet and my understanding of how the paths works in the new edition is a bit sketchy, just from reading ENWorld. That assumes that this story continues for long enough to make it an issue, of course.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Thanks, carborundum! I appreciate the interest that everyone has shown in this new story.

My set of books arrived yesterday, though I haven't had much chance to do more than skim them. I'll create a character stats thread once I have a chance to review the rules in more depth.

I only have a few more chapters drafted, and I want to focus on finishing up my Rappan Athuk story before I dedicate my full attention to this one. But I'll continue to post periodic updates as I have them ready.

Today, we meet two more characters.

Chapter 3

Callen’s whip cracked in the air over his draft horse, which plodded along methodically down the King’s Road. The whip was theater both for the trader and for the horse alike; Jaron guessed that Callen would have accepted a whipping himself before letting a crop actually touch the skin of his animal. The old halfling trader had spent twenty years riding his cart between the isolated communities of the west, and he was set in his ways. The only concession he made to the increased danger on the road these days was a battered crossbow, which looked as old as he was, strapped to the edge of the cart’s seat along with a quiver of bolts.

Thus far, however, there had been no sign of bandits or other trouble. If there were kobolds molesting travelers, they were staying close to Winterhaven. Jaron glanced back into the back of the cart. Nestled amidst the casks and bales crowded into the bed, Beetle was sleeping improbably against the constant jolts and jars of the road. Thus far his cousin had presented no troubles on the road, and he’d even turned up a brace of rabbits for the stewpot one night. He got along well with Callen, who said little and judged even less. But Jaron was more worried about what would happen when they reached Winterhaven, with its population of nearly a thousand people, mostly humans, living in and around its walls.

Callen kept his cart in good shape, and they’d made decent time despite the poor condition of the road. Once the King’s Road had been a smooth artery of travel, maintained by engineers who would sometimes stay at the inn in Fairhollow. Jaron could not remember now the last time he’d seen road workers passing through the village. Everyone seemed to have forgotten the west, and the populations in the scattered villages across the region had drifted inside themselves, tending their walls and keeping a sharp eye out for threats. The villages were too scattered to provide much in the way of mutual assistance, so it fell to men like Callen to maintain the links between them, risking the roads to make a living in trade and commerce.

“We’ll make it by nightfall,” Callen ventured, cracking his whip in the air again. The horse tossed its head, as if appreciating the joke.

Jaron scratched his side. His simple farmer’s garb had been replaced by a broad vest of thick leather worn over a tunic of double-stitched wool, with leather bracers at his wrists. He’d still had the armor he’d worn as a soldier, crafted of boiled leather reinforced with metal studs, gear fashioned specifically for war. But he’d ultimately chosen this suit instead. While it was durable enough to offer protection against the dangers they might find on the road, it was also decorated with neatly stitched designs in swirls of blue and gold thread, forming images of waves and fishes, trees and animals. It had been crafted by his mother, and while the garment showed signs of wear, the seams were as stout as they’d been when she first made them.

The halfling had likewise armed himself, with a long dirk in a leather scabbard stuck through his belt, and a quiver full of broadpoints slung across his back. His bow was tucked against the wagon board behind him, within easy reach. Two full packs were nestled among the supplies in the wagon.

After four days on the road, he was looking forward to a bath, and a nice bed in an inn. But then he remembered the purpose for this trip, and even that expectation soured. And there was the problem in the back of the cart. He didn’t really expect Beetle to do anything bad out of malice, but the fact remained that his cousin had an odd perception of traditional things like morals and social boundaries. He hoped that Yarine would be able to smooth things over with Dale before he returned. For all of her talk about finding a place for Belden outside of Fairhollow, he could not really conceive of his cousin settling outside of the village where he’d spent his entire life. If the people of his home could not accept the damaged halfling, how could anyone expect the denizens of the harsher world of the Big Folk to do the same?

The noise of the cart and his private musings distracted Jaron, so that he did not notice the disturbance until they were almost atop it. As the cart rounded a bend, they could see that the road passed between several clusters of boulders ahead, which rose up out of the ground like a giant’s knuckles.

Two travelers had been backed up against one of those knobs, fighting for their lives against a pack of bandits. Jaron recognized the little creatures at once: kobolds. One of the small reptilian humanoids was lying in the road in a slowly spreading pool of blood, while a second had fallen between the road and the nearby boulders. That left four more pressing the pair of travelers. Two of the kobolds, clad in ragged tunics of dirty leather, poked warily with short spears from the flanks, wary of getting too close to their enemies, but the two in the center wore heavy armor and shields, and fought side-by-side with small swords that darted in and out like snakes.

Dragonshields, Jaron thought, recognizing the type.

The travelers were as mismatched a pair as Jaron had ever seen. The one in the front was a human woman, fighting with a pair of narrow-bladed swords that she wove into a blur before her, forcing the kobolds to keep a respectful distance back. Jaron had spent enough time with humans to know something of them, but the woman seemed barely old enough to be considered an adult. She was clad in a long wool surcoat, unadorned with any sigil or other marking, that had been torn in several places to reveal the familiar glint of metal armor underneath.

Her companion was an elf—or so it seemed at first glance; as he stared Jaron realized that he was taller than the human woman. He was clad in a light-colored suit of flowing linens, covered by a long vest of bleached leather that came down almost to his knees. His skin seemed almost to sparkle in the early afternoon sunlight, and his hair was a pale gold, trailing out behind him as he moved. His only weapon was a slender staff that he was using to try to keep the kobold spearmen at bay. He was injured, Jaron realized, with wisps of smoke still trailing from a smear of ugly black char that ran down his left arm from the shoulder to his elbow. None of the kobolds appeared to have torches, so Jaron made a mental note to keep an eye out for an enemy wizard.

Callen had spotted the danger as soon as he had, and the old trader was already yanking on his horse’s reins. As the wagon clattered to a stop, he reflexively set the brake and reached for his crossbow.

Jaron turned and grabbed his own bow. “Beetle, stay...” But he never finished his command, for his cousin was no longer lying in the bed of the wagon. Jaron felt a thrill of fear— gods, not now!—as he scanned the ground along the road behind them. The ground here was irregular, with numerous twists and bends in the terrain; Beetle could have fallen out of the wagon, or jumped, in any of a hundred places back along their path.

A cry of pain drew his attention back around. Another of the kobolds, one of the spearmen, had gotten too close to the human woman’s blades. It staggered back and fell to the ground, trembling as blood spurted from the deep puncture in its chest. But she paid for it a moment later as one of the dragonshields stabbed her in the side. By the look of it her armor had kept the thrust from penetrating deep, but Jaron could see that the strike had hurt her by the way that she favored that side as she pivoted back to face the kobold warriors. Jaron’s initial suspicions about the elf were confirmed as he lifted a hand and pointed at the kobold that had injured his companion. There was a white flash from the elf’s eyes, a flare of magic that was echoed by sudden bursts of searing fire that erupted from the kobold warrior’s eyes, mouth, and hands. The kobold shrieked and fell back a step, but Jaron had fought dragonshields before, and knew how tough the bastards were. And the kobold, while bloodied, clearly had a lot more fight left in it, as it shook its head and recovered its position next to its companion, still dazed from the searing flames.

Jaron’s hands moved of their own volition, unwinding the string wrapped around the shaft of his bow, and fitting it into the notches at the ends of the weapon with a speed that was obviously born of long practice. But even as he reached for an arrow, he saw that a fifth kobold had appeared, clambering up onto the rocks behind the beleaguered travelers. The two travelers seemed oblivious to the danger as the little creature lifted its spear, and crept forward to where it could stab the distracted elf mage in the back.

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Lovin' it more and more with every new chapter :D

Can't wait for the encounter with the now famous toothy baddie; if it's Lazybones writing it, it's gotta be uber-deadly :]

Lazybones

Adventurer
Sorry for the long delay between posts; the Rappan Athuk story is taking a bit longer than I'd initially planned to finish.

I'm almost finished statting up the main characters (at least the initial group), and will try to get a Rogues' Gallery thread up soon.

Chapter 4

Jaron did not hesitate. He drew an arrow from the quiver across his back and fitted it to the taut string. Perched precariously on the end of the wagon seat, the halfling lifted his bow, drew, and fired in a single smooth motion.

The shaft flew true, and caught the kobold solidly in the chest even as it lunged forward to strike. The reptilian warrior let out a small screech and toppled over, vanishing out of sight behind the mound of boulders. Its spear clattered harmlessly away.

Both sides in the melee suddenly realized that they were not alone. The elf lifted his staff and pointed, saying something to his companion, who did not respond, instead slashing at a kobold who tried to get inside her guard. The kobolds, other than glancing back at the new arrivals, kept their focus on their current prey. If they were distressed by the sudden change in odds against them, they did not show it.

Jaron thought that strange, and paused in reaching for a second arrow, scanning the cluster of rocks and brush on the far side of the road, ahead to the right. That allowed him to spot the danger a moment before it became too late.

“Take cover!” he yelled, grabbing Callen by the arm and dragging him off the wagon. The trader cursed and dropped his crossbow, throwing his arms out to stop his fall as he toppled over into the packed dirt of the road. Jaron landed more smoothly, keeping his feet, and spun just in time to see the blazing arc of fire that fell down out of the sky, right into the bed of their wagon.

The firepot exploded in a crackle of roaring flames, sending out eager tongues over the packed casks and crates. Callen yelled in protest, and ran back, not toward his goods, but toward his horse, which had already started to panic as the fire spread quickly behind it. The horse pulled against its harness, but with the wagon brake set, it only succeeded in dragging the wagon half off the road. Behind it the straps of its harness were tangled well before the trader could start to work them free; instead Callen drew his belt knife and started hacking at them, trying to stay clear of the wild kicks of his panicked horse.

Jaron ran forward, trying to see where the kobold sniper had taken cover. The far side of the road offered numerous places for concealment, and he was all too aware that the protection on his own side was scant by comparison. He could have remained behind the wagon, but knew that Callen would have then become an excellent target, distracted as he was by the threat to his horse. He had to make himself the more dangerous prey.

He fired again, and scored another hit that crumpled the last of the kobold spearmen. The dragonshields were now left alone, but if anything they pressed their attack with greater vigor, lunging forward and stabbing at the human woman with their small swords. She parried the first thrust but the second stabbed its blade into her gut, knocking the wind out of her. She fell to one knee, and the kobold stepped forward to finish her. Jaron tried to grab another arrow, but knew he would be too late even as the sunlight flashed upon the descending sword in the kobold’s hand.

But the blow never landed. The elf loomed over the human woman as he stepped forward to support her from behind, his stare fixed upon the kobold warrior. Jaron felt a sudden chill, and for a moment, it was as if a black cloud had fallen around the pair. Then he blinked, and all was as it had been. Except that the kobold warrior was staggering backwards, clutching at its head, a terrible keening coming from its jaws. It fell to its knees, still moaning, and then pitched forward onto its face.

The other kobold tried to stab the elf, but the human woman recovered quickly, thrusting her longer blade up through its guard, driving half of the length of the steel through its armor and into its chest. The kobold died in a flutter of its limbs, its sword clattering on the ground beside it as it slid off her sword.

Even as the last kobold warrior died, Jaron was looking again for the sniper. The elf helped the human woman to her feet; she looked somewhat pale, but she’d gotten her second wind, and evidently the kobold warrior’s last thrust hadn’t penetrated too deeply, for she was able to stand unassisted. They too were obviously aware of the sniper, for their attention was also on the far side of the road, as they warily swept around to the left.

“Show yourself, creature!” the woman shouted. “Surrender, and you may yet live!” She gestured to her companion, who continued to circle around to the left. She caught Jaron’s eye, and he nodded in acknowledgement as she started forward, toward the cover on the far side of the road.

Jaron caught a hint of movement within the brush. He lifted his bow, at the same time that the elf raised a hand, flashes of energy flickering between his fingers. He nearly loosed when a head popped into view, but with a cry he caught himself, sending the arrow flying harmlessly away to the right.

“Wait!” he yelled, hoping that the wizard had equally fast reflexes. Jaron ran forward, passing the human woman, who lowered her swords warily.

“All done, Jayse?” Beetle said as he stepped out of the undergrowth, a broad grin on his face.

“Are you all right, Beetle?” Jaron asked, quickly checking to see if his cousin bore any wounds. The other halfling merely shrugged; he was looking at the travelers, and seemed particularly interested in the elven wizard.

The woman walked past the halflings and peered down into the brush. “Got the bastard,” she said. Jaron left Beetle and ran over to her, to find the kobold slinger lying on the ground, blood still oozing from the deep puncture wound in the side of its neck.

Jaron looked up, his eyes wide, and looked at Beetle, who was chattering at the elf, as though they’d just met by accident on a casual stroll.

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Just like with any other Lazybones update, I approve, it's awesome :D

One thing that bugs me, but that's just me and my immersion-need: in 4e we've got a new healing mechanic, second wind, which works well mechanically, but it can be tough to explain in-game.

My humble recommendation to you, Lazybones, would be to describe second wind's without actually saying its name, but rather by describing solely how the character "pulls him/herself together and keeps fighting" :cool:

Lazybones

Adventurer
My humble recommendation to you, Lazybones, would be to describe second wind's without actually saying its name, but rather by describing solely how the character "pulls him/herself together and keeps fighting" :cool:
I'll probably mix it up as I use the term in future encounters. I'm definitely not going to use it the way that I typically use "power" terms (i.e. set off with italics). In fact, since 4e uses powers in a decidedly different way than 3.xe, I may have to rethink how I refer to powers in general in this story.
Leinart said:
So any chance of some sort of dragonborn melee character?
I didn't want to venture a dragonborn until I had a chance to learn more about their default culture in the game. Maybe at some point, but there won't be one in the initial set of characters.

We do have one major character left to meet, however.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Almost done with the RA story, so I'll soon be able to shift my full attention to this one. I am going to be away from my computer for most of next week, so it may be a while until my usual daily updates start.

I did finally start a Rogues Gal--ah, "Plots and Places" thread, located here. Comments on my builds are welcome.

Chapter 5

The sun had vanished below the western horizon, and night had nearly fallen by the time they reached Winterhaven. Both groups of travelers were grateful for the shelter of the town’s sturdy walls. They had not encountered any more dangers on the road, but the kobold ambush had made them keenly aware that this region was wild and dangerous.

The two groups parted ways once inside the walls, with Mara and Elevaren heading toward Wrafton’s Inn, not far from the gate. The human fighter and the eladrin warlock—not an elf at all, Jaron had been surprised to learn—had been friendly enough once the last of the kobolds had fallen, but they had their own urgent business in Winterhaven that could not brook delay. Apparently a friend of theirs, a man named Douven Staul, had gone missing somewhere in the vicinity. From what Elevaren had said, this Staul sounded like something of a scholar, and he’d been in the area looking for a dragon’s lost horde that was reputed to be somewhere in the vicinity. Jaron had heard enough rumors and legends about lost treasure to think the search somewhat foolish at best, but he kept his own feelings to himself to avoid offending the eladrin.

Jaron and Beetle parted with Callen shortly thereafter. The trader led his tired horse to the stables adjoining the inn. He was despondent at the loss of his livelihood, but it could have been a good deal worse for him, as Beetle had thoughtlessly interjected. The wagon had been a total loss, and Jaron and Beetle had been confronted with the loss of their packs, with all of the supplies, clean clothes, and other gear that they’d carried. At least the attack had come near the end of their journey, where they could hopefully acquire new possessions in the human town.

Jaron kept a close eye on his cousin as the two halflings made their way into the town, to the temple of Avandra. Beetle seemed to be entranced with the place, and he drew a few askance looks from the few human townsfolk who were out and about in the street. Jaron noted a pair of guards, outfitted similarly to those who’d kept watch at the gate. The men had been alert, and their weapons were kept in good condition, both signs of solid leadership. Winterhaven was even deeper in the wilds than Fairhollow, and Jaron recognized the signs of a town where the inhabitants had to deal with the constant threats of the frontier.

Jaron was quiet, and did not respond even when his cousin called him by his brother’s name. He was concerned, and not just about how they would get Jayse’s body back to Fairhollow, with Callen’s wagon no longer available. Even since he’d seen the dead kobold slinger, slain without apparent difficulty by his cousin, he wondered just how much he really knew about Beetle. The other halfling had always seemed to have a gift for getting into trouble. Jaron knew that his cousin’s mind was not like that of other halflings; Beetle seemed to lack the sense of self-restraint that guided most folks. He’d long thought that his cousin was simply feeble-minded, but as they’d grown older, he’d realized that the truth was more complicated than that. But they were blood, he thought, as he glanced back to see Beetle talking with an elven woman selling flowers along the edge of the town’s central square. And he’d made a promise to his aunt, a promise that he could not break. He’d broken too many promises already, in his life.

Jaron had only been to Winterhaven once before, many years ago, but the temple of Avandra was just as he’d remembered it. The place had the look of an old keep, squat and solid, permanent in a way that none of the buildings in Fairhollow could ever have managed.

Beetle came up beside him. It seemed that some of the gravity of the situation had gotten into the younger halfling; at least he was quiet and still as he accompanied Jaron toward the human-sized front door of the building. Thus united, they went to pay their respects to the dead.

Remove ads