• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LEADERSHIP FEAT: Need advice on revising it

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I can't see that form of Leadership working IMC. There are no Commoners or Adepts, and Experts and Aristocrats have been beefed up to be playable PC classes. (It's a dangerous world out there.)

Maybe I'll house rule it that Followers have at least one level of Expert each, or are "warrior" classes (Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian) for their first level.

-- Nifft

Datt

First Post
According to the DMG anyone with the Leadership feat can have as many cohorts as the DM will allow them to.

DMG pg 147
There are no limitations to the class, race, or gender of a character's cohorts, nor are there limits to the number of cohorts who can be emplyed by a character.

So unless you just feel that is way too powerful I don't see any reason for making someone give up followers for extra cohorts. Extra cohorts just means that thier share of treasure gets smaller. Because don't forget people cohorts want a share of the treasure too or else they become angry and leave. Then again how great a storyline would it be to have an old cohort of a PC turn out to be the BBEM one time.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Datt said:
According to the DMG anyone with the Leadership feat can have as many cohorts as the DM will allow them to.

er, my impression was that that refered to taking leadership multiple times. though you can still get extra cohorts and extra followers with one feat, I would be baffeled by any dm that gave multiple top ranked cohorts to a PC for a single leadership feat...

Kahuna Burger

Iron_Chef

First Post
Drat, I just figured out that my Leadership score ain't high enough to qualify (per Epic variant Leadership rules) to get me even a loudy adept, LOL. Fortunately, Swashbuckling Adventures features several NPC classes like Guard that fit nicely.

Fenes 2

First Post
Then you can be baffled by me - I give classed, high-leveled cohorts to PCs without the leadership feat. Of course, I consider everybody, from familiars to monsters, as NPCs, so the PC can order them around, but the player cannot directly control them...

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Fenes 2 said:
Then you can be baffled by me - I give classed, high-leveled cohorts to PCs without the leadership feat. Of course, I consider everybody, from familiars to monsters, as NPCs, so the PC can order them around, but the player cannot directly control them...

nope, not the same thing as requiring the feat, but allowing an army of cohorts with it. I'd hope you're dealing with a small party, or cohorts who don't come along on every adventure, but stripping the leadership feat entirely doesn't baffle me the slightest. Keeping it, then massivly overpowering it is another issue...

Kahuna Burger

Fenes 2

First Post
It is a small party (2-3 PCs), and the cohorts do not come on every adventure. I just prefer gaining cohorts etc. through actions rather than a feat.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
To be honest, I've always allowed the followers to be PC classes right off the bat - people who want to join the heros bardic college/arcane school/fighting dojo etc.

The followers are a bit more of a flavour thing or an "off camera" benefit in most cases anyway... take them with you on an adventure and the're toast!

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads