D&D General Leaning into the tropes

Reynard

Legend
One thing about D&D in all its forms is that it has a lot of "D&Disms" -- tropes that the game possesses that aren't really part of other forms of fantasy. Sometimes we fight against these tropes, trying to make D&D look like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings or The Wheel or Avatar or whatever. But what happens when we really lean into the tropes? What happens when we let the game rules and those D&Disms say something about the world in which the game takes place?

I am not necessarily talking about going full meta or playing it like a LitRPG -- although you could do that and I think it could be fun. Rather, I am saying things like:

Alignment is real and an understood part of the philosophy of the world.
Magic works in the world like it says it works in the books -- precise, specific generally inflexible and largely focused on combat.
The world is populated by at least some superhuman adventurer types that vastly outperform regular folks and are the only ones that can stop horrible monsters and dastardly villains and angry gods.
The world is full of horrible monsters, dastardly villains and angry gods, many of whom dwell in deep underground fortresses full of traps and minions.
The most powerful magical items in the world are beyond even those superhuman heroes. In fact, the world is full of the ruins and detritus of an age of immense power and apparent malevolence.

Do you embrace D&Disms in your D&D games? If so, how does it change (if at all) between editions? Are there D&Disms you just can't abide, or love and bring to other games?

Voadam

Legend
I can't stand parties of adventurers as a general common trope beyond the party or context specific situations. It takes me out of immersion to have adventurer's guilds and too much built around the party of adventurers as a big regular part of society.

I love having dungeons, vast arrays of monsters, and lots of the quirks of D&D magic.

aco175

Legend
Most of these isms are part of the local group that I have been part of for a while and we have certain thoughts on how to play. Some of the stuff on races and classes or monsters are PCs are more group by group and my fun may not be your fun.

It is hard to shake LotR feel and FR since it has been part of my group from the 80s. We tried other settings like Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, and Maztica. These are not what we felt was the 'right way' to be playing so we tend to stick with what we think.

Reynard

Legend
I can't stand parties of adventurers as a general common trope beyond the party or context specific situations. It takes me out of immersion to have adventurer's guilds and too much built around the party of adventurers as a big regular part of society.
I like the adventurers trope because it means I can use rival adventuring parties as foils or enemies. Plus it gives good excuses for the PCs finding adventures that aren't part of some vast quest to Save The World, which I generally don't like as a framing story.

Stormonu

Legend
The ones I use
— Alignment is a tangible force that can items, magics and beings can be pinned on.
  • There was a more ancient time when magic was more powerful and there is a plentiful amount of magic items from this time, as well as artifacts.
  • Everything has a little bit of magic in it; even “martials” can tap into this to perform feats that are superhuman in nature.

tommybahama

Adventurer
The 13th Trope of D&D

No matter what the cultural inspiration or level of technology, there must always be a bewildering array of trivially different Polearms.

If only it were true. We have not one bludgeoning or finesse polearm with 10 foot reach despite numerous historical or fantasy examples.

Reynard

Legend
Those differences wouldn't be trivial!
Only because 5E combat is very abstracted, even for D&D. It's action movie combat, which is admittedly fun and cool but hardly the only way to do it. Myself, I prefer to present the options and then let people pull back. It's easier than asking people to invent new material.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases