• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Learning to do DM type things

SarahHeacock

First Post
Particularly small plot lines.

In a game I am currently in, I have a character that could be removed from play for sessions here and there -- and it makes sense for her.

My big problem with the storyteller is that he only seems to be able to do big, grand, world-spanning plotlines. So I've decided that I want to help pick up the slack and create smaller "Drop in" plots that advance characters backgrounds, etc.

However, I have never successfully done any storytelling at all before. So. How does one go about learning these skills, etc? How do you involve characters. How do you recover when the players go off 145 degrees from anything you had planned for?

anglachel

First Post
As a starting point use the resources on the Internet. There are numerous free download modules that are nice short little drop in type stories. The Wizards of the Coast site has several of these that you could use to get some ideas from.

Zerovoid

First Post
Yeah, I would say that running a few pregenerated adventure modules is a good way to start off. I know that's how I learned to DM, because in the first game I played in 10 years ago, nobody had DMed before. After you get some experience running the mechanical aspects of combat, and resolving actions the PC's do outside of combat, you're probably ready to make up adventures of your own. If you already have experience as a player, then that probably makes things alot easier.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Do you mean small, self-contained adventures, or sub-plots that you insert into the larger ones?

Personally, I like sub-plots that weave through larger plots.

Romotre

First Post
This might seem a little odd to people but I did (and do) everything in the reverse order. I learned storytelling first, rules later. When we'd get new rules, we'd get the basics and jump right in, and I didn't mind asking for the first bit if drinking a potion would incur an AoO. I don't think dnd is about scoring critical hits or getting the powerup and winning the game but a story. so therefore i beleive that comes first and foremost. its like learning to program, if you learn the language first, you can then go and do a little something but if a bump in the road comes or you switch languages, you are screwed. but if you first learn the concept and ideas behind it, your set and you just need to learn the syntax to do whatever (easier i think) ok maybe that was a bad example but you get the point. The only way to learn to deal with PC's that go off course is to have it happen and make something up. maybe it doesn't work the first time, but soon you won't be shaken by things like that and you will be able to deal with anything, and it become MUCH less linear. if you plan for only a few things, only if the PC's do those things will the daventure be any good. but if you leave the entire thing into their hands, they feel like they have choice and like they are affecting the world in the way they want to, not just follow the intrustions already set up. maybe this is why i don't like pre-made adventures usually, but make everything up on your own is hard but rewarding. you will truely become the master of the dungeon and not just a device for which the PC's can beat the pulp out of monsters with.

PS I'm not critisizing any of you, its just another opinion.

eXodus

Explorer
one thing i find that helps me is to get a list of various groups, factions, guilds, etc that the characters interact with via friends, or foes.

then cross reference them on who works for who, who fights against who, and other relationships.

figure out in a round about way what you want the major plotline to be. then weave the elements into it, blocking things off into smaller quests, adventures, and plots, making note of how each above group will fit in.

it is a good idea to foreshadow future events, have repeat npc appearances. also little bits of text, predictions from sages, and other divinations to add some more direction to things.

i hope my ramblings help a little.

der_kluge

Adventurer
You know, I was just thinking about this the other day.

I consider myself a decent DM. I'm not currently DM'ing, but I've mainly been a DM for the last 12 years or so. Sure, I played off and on when others wanted to DM, but I probably enjoy DM'ing more than playing, I think.

That said, I thought I did a fairly decent job, until I met my current DM. My current DM is doing a phenomenal job. He has this whole campaign planned out. Without going into detail, it's a very Tolkien-esque "save the world" kind of thing, which has taken us from 3rd to now 11th, and we're going to end it running the Rod of the Seven Parts module (great module, btw), so we'll end up around 15th or so. It's given me a new perspective on DM'ing. He's worked hard at integrating our own PC histories into the plot, and made it personal for each character, while at the same time maintaing a grandiose scheme.

There seems to be two main ways to DM - each has their own disadvantages and advantages.

Method one is the huge grandiose campaign style game. The main problem with this style is that it tends to railroad the PCs slightly. Like Frodo in LoTR, he doesn't really have any choice in what he does - he's got the ring, he knows what must be done. The good thing about this style of game is that it gives the entire game a cohesive feel and purpose.

The second style is the off-the-cuff style game. This is the style that I typically ran, and judging by his posts, probably the style that Angelsboi prefers. Basically, the players make PCs, the DM has a game in mind, runs it, and then comes up with something new next week. This style provides the most flexibility, and can literally have the DM asking the players "where do you want to go?" which I used to do a lot. Players are in complete control at the extreme in this style, and it can be challenging for a DM to come up with new modules, but the bonus thing is that they don't really have to tie into each other.

The *best* style is likely a mix between the two. An over-arching campaign that has a long-term goal, but allows for the PCs to get their at their own pace.

To specifically respond to your post, removing and subtracting players randomly doesn't work in *either* scenario if the party moves around all the time, unless the PC in question is some sort of high-level magic with teleport and discern location spells - probably not, I'm guessing. If the entire duration of the campaign is confined to a relatively small geographic area, then it would be more feasible, but that rarely happens.

Being able to anticipate what players do is impossible. Being able to wing it is a necessity. If you are wanting to run one-shot games involving the PCs, the best thing to do is work with the DM and the other PCs. Find out what their PC's goals and interests are, come up with ideas, and figure out how to work those into the DMs game. It won't do you any good to have an idea set in the ocean, and the DM moves the party into the desert. Understand where the DM is going so that you can anticipate your ideas.

Hope this helps; but it's probably just some more of my ramblings. :)

Good luck!

LostSoul

Adventurer
If you want to work subplots into your games, it means that the Players have to be interested in thier characters and what is going on. A player who likes hack-and-slash might not care if the princess of the next country over wants to leave her high-born life and live on the edge.

So start the sub-plots off of ideas that the players have.

If the players can't think of anything, then it's up to the DM. Drop some strange, mysterious hints at something strange going on in the background. Leave it mysterious. Listen to the player's ideas on what is going on, and build from there.

Remove ads