LEB Discussion Thread '10 Pt 2

BloodPrincess

First Post
that did make me laugh.

I really havent been focusing too much on the idea of sneak attack. I have been focusing a bit on my powers, which include a lot of moving targets.

How easy is it to have combat advantage in 4e? Would we be saying almost every turn, or once every 4 or 5 turns? Can sneak attack be used in conjunction with a power?

Thankyou very much as well, all 3 of you are being quite helpful.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
How easy is it to have combat advantage in 4e? Would we be saying almost every turn, or once every 4 or 5 turns? Can sneak attack be used in conjunction with a power?
A melee rogue w/ a buddy should be getting it every round or 2/3 rounds via flanking if nothing else. A rogue is a striker, so if they aren't sneak attacking as often as possible, they are not being effective in their combat role.

Its a bit more tricky to gain CA via range (mostly through stealth), maybe 1/2 rounds.

Sneak attack can apply to any attack (including powers) that hit 1/turn: Its a free bump in damage.

twilsemail

First Post
A melee rogue w/ a buddy should be getting it every round or 2/3 rounds via flanking if nothing else. A rogue is a striker, so if they aren't sneak attacking as often as possible, they are not being effective in their combat role.

Seconded, as a Changeling, you should be picking it up slightly more than acerage due to changeling trick. Feats like Cunning Stalker can help close the gap to 100% as well.

BloodPrincess

First Post
I suppose I should ask some final questions before I rush off an finish the character, though the background might take a little while. I wrote a simple one the other day for a different board and it was nearly 3000 words long. Gotta restrain myself.

For you though, the basic premise:

She is acting like a detective on the hunt for her changeling assassin father, who through his misdeeds and lack of compassion for his family caused her mother to take her own life.

Now to the questions:

How long after finishing is a character likely to be picked up by a GM?

Whats the chances of party vs solo adventuring? Not asking for it, just considering based on what was said before.

How much of (in general/on average) an adventure is fighting vs roleplay?

The answers muight determine what feat I chose for the one I have left.

Edit: also, are there any glammered armours still? As in, can change its appearance to anything without changing its stats?

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Now to the questions:

"How long after finishing is a character likely to be picked up by a GM?? It varies, it can be soon, or it can take months depending on if a DM is planning a new adventure. I've heard rumblings of a few, but nothing right now, meaning we're likely at least a week away best case.

"Whats the chances of party vs solo adventuring? Not asking for it, just considering based on what was said before." In 4e, solo adventures are very difficult as it's much more team focused than prior editions, however nothing specifically disallows it.

"How much of (in general/on average) an adventure is fighting vs roleplay?" Hmmm, well combat does take a while to resolve in PbP (sometimes a month or so for longer combats). So as a % of time, combat might be a bit longer.

The answers muight determine what feat I chose for the one I have left.

"Edit: also, are there any glammered armours still? As in, can change its appearance to anything without changing its stats" There is Summoned armor available at level 6 (+2 Summoned X). Also, there's Imposter's armor (it's restricted to Chain, Scale, or Plate though).

BloodPrincess

First Post
That last is reallt a pain. Whats the point of changing your face if your armour and clothes dont change. There should be at least clothing that changes how it looks, and light armours make more sense for changing appearance as its more of a rogue/bard kind of thing. BAH!

Oh, I know how long it takes, I have played in a few PbPs before, but that was a while ago.

Considering more whether you just get thrown into combat after combat or whether there is enough option to be able to roleplay properly between them.

After reading through character creation and so on for this I feel 4e is leaning on a lot more on combat than on the actual roleplay side of things which I found 3.5e allowed you to do a lot more easily. But that might just be because I havent played it yet.

twilsemail

First Post
"Edit: also, are there any glammered armours still? As in, can change its appearance to anything without changing its stats" There is Summoned armor available at level 6 (+2 Summoned X). Also, there's Imposter's armor (it's restricted to Chain, Scale, or Plate though).

I really wish I had, way back when creating Din or when I rewrote the sheet, put in a proposal to expand Imposter's armor to all armor types. The stuff is made for rogues and assassins... who cannot actually use it.

Stupid Imposter's Armor... *grumble*

Playing off of what Stonegod was saying earlier. You'll often have CA if you've got a flanking buddy. Changelings get it a bit more often due to their racial encounter power. Learn to love your bluff score.

twilsemail

First Post
After reading through character creation and so on for this I feel 4e is leaning on a lot more on combat than on the actual roleplay side of things which I found 3.5e allowed you to do a lot more easily. But that might just be because I havent played it yet.

Apologies for the double post... I hate doing that.

I've found that 4e just regulates RP less with rules. You're free to play your character how you want to play the character. You want to have been a fisherman? You were a fisherman. You don't need to dedicate 8 points into Knot Tying and 6 points into Chumming and 6 points into Rowing.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Apologies for the double post... I hate doing that.

I've found that 4e just regulates RP less with rules. You're free to play your character how you want to play the character. You want to have been a fisherman? You were a fisherman. You don't need to dedicate 8 points into Knot Tying and 6 points into Chumming and 6 points into Rowing.
Agreed. Skills can help define background, as can Background Traits, but they are not required for defining non-mechanical aspects of background. Good DMs will take note of this: Tondrek gets a lot of arcane info just from being an magical savant, and my DMs have played to this.

Some folks like the heavy point buy into background (3.x, GURPS); but 4e takes a different approach.

twilsemail

First Post
[MENTION=6670011]BloodPrincess[/MENTION]

Just a quick FYI, bonuses of the same type don't stack. An Item bonus to Intimidate checks from a Hideous Weapon doesn't stack with the Item bonus from Bonegrim Armor. Likewise, the Feat bonus to initiative from your Quickdraw feat doesn't stack with your Improved Initiative feat bonus.

Remove ads