• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LEB Discussion Thread '10 Pt 2

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Oh! Awesome! For some reason I thought the Last War was still going on during 3e. This is apparently what I get for skipping an edition. I'll go digging through what I've got at home.
There was no Realms-Shattering-Event (TM) 3e->4e. The Last War and the Day of Mourning are all core elements of the Eberron setting. The transitions actually didn't even advance the timeline (an earlier idea that had significant backlash against it).

Chief thing to remember about the Day of Mourning: Officially, there is no explanation. While home DMs are allowed to provide the One-True-Reason (TM), WotC has promised (for now) that there will not be one from them. As for Living Eberron, I believe we should keep this policy. While there may be many theories, I don't believe we should canonically establish One-True-Reason.

stonegod

FYI: We're going have 2-3 games ending soon, so now is the time for folks to think up adventures. DM points await!

renau1g

First Post
It's lots of fun, when else do you get a chance to kill one of the judges... I mean one of their PC's :devil:. stonegod and I each have 1 kill on each other right now...

twilsemail

First Post
What's the general outlook on reflavoring things like race around these parts? I feel like, from what I've seen, it would fly without a hitch, but I'd like some input from the community.

Ex. Mechanically a character is a Goliath, but the PC is introduced as a large hobgoblin.

Alternately: Mechanically, a character is a halfling, but the PC herself is a gnome.

The PC would still be limited, mechanically, to the original race. i.e. the "gnome" could only take halfling feats and such.

Has this happened here in the past? How was it received?

renau1g

First Post
It's happened in L4W (Kane is a half-orc mechanically, bugbear fluff-wise), but off the top of my head in LEB not yet. I think it may be a case-by-case thing. i.e. if you play a re-skinned bladeling as a hobgoblin, how are you explaining the racial ability? or if you play a reskinned goliath as a gnome, would we allow you to use the Maul combined with Goliath Greatweapon Prowess as gnome's can't use 2H weapons...

Most of the re-skinning I've seen has been for races not statted out (i.e. Lizardman). I did it for Kane as a I felt that the bugbear was OP'd with Oversized weapons. TBH I'm not super crazy about not going with an established race.

Is there a reason twilsemail? I'd like to know why the gnome racial features don't work for the PC, but you'd still like the gnome fluff (as an example)

Last edited:

stonegod

Ex. Mechanically a character is a Goliath, but the PC is introduced as a large hobgoblin.

Alternately: Mechanically, a character is a halfling, but the PC herself is a gnome.
Its been done in L4W. We have an "elemental thing" that's really a warforged.

The goliath->hob I'd have no problem with, as goblinoid support is weak right now (and likely will be forever). The halfling->gnome one is a little bit more iffy to me as there is already a gnome and it raises the question of why, but mechanically it won't be unbalanced (because the "gnome" wouldn't qualify for any gnomish goodies).

twilsemail

First Post
It's happened in L4W (Kane is a half-orc mechanically, bugbear fluff-wise), but off the top of my head in LEB not yet. I think it may be a case-by-case thing. i.e. if you play a re-skinned bladeling as a hobgoblin, how are you explaining the racial ability? or if you play a reskinned goliath as a gnome, would we allow you to use the Maul combined with Goliath Greatweapon Prowess as gnome's can't use 2H weapons...

Nah. Nothing that extreme. I'll discuss it with the judges when it becomes relevant. For now I'll go work on hashing out that vignette of an adventure.

Remove ads