Legacy of the Silver Dragon: Chapter 1 (Chickens, Demons, and a Missing Girl)

Goldhammer

First Post
OOC: One young woman, part of a nature goddess's faith gets offended if beef is brought up, saying that cows destroy the intended beauty and wholeness of nature.

"Foolish tiny girl." Beatrix thinks to herself. "How can forest compare to the beauty of great city, the awe of mighty castle wall, the wonders of double wide door or chair that doesn't break when you sit on it? Maybe if this girl ate more meat, she'd have more sense. But if she is member of nature goddess' faith, then maybe she has accuses to druid magic. Druid magic good for breeding bigger, meatier, more delicious livestock. Best to to stay on her good side for now."

"Forgive me, I did not mean any offense. I am Sister Wall-Sentry Beatrix Merriburg, a servant of the Goddess, Malborka."
Beatrix says, bowing politely to the young woman.

"But there is bigger problem." Beatrix continues to think. "Town with no farmlands and limited food runs risk of famine. This place in need of the blessing of Malborka, big time. I must send a message to the Citadel. If we started sending caravans of preserved beef down here, then we surely gain the faith of the people. Then it would be easy to convince town council to let us build temple to Malborka. Also make much gold through beef sales."

"By chance, would you have something to write with?" Beatrix asks the girl. "Wish to tell friends back home about beauty and wholeness of nature here."

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
The young woman looks suspiciously at Beatrix, and wrinkles her nose a bit at the mention of Malborka. Obviously she's heard of the goddess, and equally obviously she's not a big fan. However, when asked whether she has something to write with, she automatically fumbles through a pouch at her belt, and comes up with a piece of good quality, black chalk. "Umm, I'll be over there whenever you're done with your letter..." she says, and moves off across the room.

gambler1650

Explorer
OOC: Ok guys.. So, what I gather is that Antares wishes to speak with Dysare, not sure what Muzdim's plan is... if he wants to have the gem looked at more closely or not? And Beatrix will probably meet up at the militia's 'HQ' around the time the original group does. Does Bosco have any plans? And the new thief, Wil... As mentioned in the OOC thread, he could easily have heard that Gregof is meeting with some people later the next day regarding the well and what was found down there.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
OOC: So I take it we're going to bed for the night and doing all that tomorrow? If so:

Binder Fred said:
And one should really inform brother Myst of their doings, 'tis true... (A bit of a guilty pang there, for they did not exactly part on the best of terms, the two of them -- quite unusually so...)
Oh, and he must really find time to read that ledger, and send letter to his Sire, most dreaded of forthcoming tasks, and move his things from abode borrowed... Though this last perhaps not tonight after all? Antares looks from face to face. Reading the emotions there, he can't help smiling an amused, if tired, smile: "So tomorrow then?"

"Have you eaten, Master Stonehand? Stellan and myself did sample some of the barreled meats after exiting those dread tunnels - the taste was... most satisfying." Surprising how much spice hunger can add to even the simplest of fares! "Yet in truth I would not mind some additional helpings?"

OOC: If Muzdin (and Stellan) agrees, Antares will pay for all their meals, in modest celebration and thanks for their help today. (Let me know the total please, Gambler).

Should we start another thread for tomorrow?

[Later that night]
OOC: Whizbang = I think we'd settled that Antares was staying at your family's place after being kicked out of his own, right? If so, please feel encouraged/free to change the scene below to what it *should* be. If not, maybe this could be relatives of yours who had a free spot?
Antares tip-toes into the cluttered kitchen of his host family, carefully closing the wooden door behind him as quietly as he can. It's fully dark out in the quiet night, just past bed time for the younger children, and though the embers still glow in the squat cooking heart to his left, even Garrett and Lavina had apparently already retired to-

Just then the floor above creaked, and looking up he saw a small Halfling woman, small lines around her blue-grey eyes but her hair still dark, looking down from the top of the abrupt stairs leading to the upstairs loft: she'd obviously heard the noise of his entrance and come to investigate.

"Greetings, goodwife Lavina," softly, and with a respectful bow of the head. "I have returned into your care once more."

"I have come into some funds today," and many things besides, most of a more worrying nature -- but still, funds. "I might be able to move out as early as tomorrow, should appropriate lodgings be found; if not, then perhaps the day after?" He does pay a small stipend for his stay, yet he could not help but feel a burden to his friend's family, burdened as they already were with so many younger copies of themselves.

<Response Lavina?>

[A bit later still :)]
Alone again in the quiet kitchen, Antares considered the blessing of a bath, with warm water and fresh soap. They had cleaned themselves quickly back in the barracks, and yet he still stank of ashes and earth, he was quite sure... but at this hour he would have to pull water from the well himself, and heat it over the fire, dragging the huge family tub from out of the house's side-shed, and he is tired, with things yet to do... No doubt the powers that be would forgive him this small surrender to sloth?

So instead he rummaged in his appointed kitchen cupboard, where lay piled tight all that he had appropriated from his own family tower, and extracted a half-candle of fine beeswax, still set in its simple clay holder (a loan from the Bracegirdles). Lighting it on the embers - nearly burning his delicate fingers in the protracted process - he sat down at the low kitchen table, overhung with shiningly clean pots and black-bottomed pans, opened up the ledger from the burnt house on the thick, single plank table top and started to read the words written there in the flickering candlelight...

OOC: While reading, he keeps in mind and looks for 1) any further mention of the mysterious ML, who might or might not be Lady Mirelle, 2) the well, or things coming from underground/the cellar (noises, etc), and 3) the two gems they found with the two bodies. Also, but to a lesser extent, general finances (trying to see how rich they were compared to say, the purse they found on the gelatinous cube victim) and/or even just the occupant's name, which they still don't know... Anything?

Goldhammer

First Post
Beatrix gladly takes the chalk from the young girl and begins to write her letter. After writing a brief message explaining the situation of the town and requesting a caravan of beef be sent as soon as possible, Beatrix stuffs the letter into her pocket and walks over to young woman. "Can not be thanking you enough for use of chalk." The vast priestess says, handing the young woman her chalk back. "Please, let me be repaying you by buying you something to eat." Without even waiting for an answer, Beatrix takes a set by the young lady and order two large servings of whatever passes for food around here. "Give us chance to talk about our goddesses, ja? Am very interested in knowing more about Ehlonna."

Last edited:

Goldhammer

First Post
OOC: feel free to start the next chapter whenever your ready. Beatrix is just going to keep asking about the town tonight and bugging the Ehlonna worshipper.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"If yer paying, I'm eating." The dwarf nods. He will have the gem looked after, despite he knows all of its secrets... Or does he?

Binder Fred

Antares silently agrees: he was planning to pay anyways. "In modest celebration and thanks for your help today," he announces, in which sentiment he of course includes Stellan as well, and any meal he might wish for. When the time comes he himself orders the meal of the day - which happens to be chicken stew - with an extra fried egg on top: it seems adventuring (and fear) are a great boon to the appetites!

gambler1650

Explorer
The rest of the evening passes uneventfully. Beatrix finds that giving the young woman, Siarla by name, a meal causes her to open up remarkably quickly. Every so often she seems to remember who she's speaking to and her expression hardens, but another bite or two quickly changes that. She does show very little interest in Malborka, and seems happy to extol the virtues of Ehlonna as long as she's being fed. By her expression, she thinks she's making progress in converting the cleric to a new goddess.

The halfling woman accepts Antares' money happily enough and says "No worries Master elf! We were happy to have you here. I wish you well on your future endeavors, and with your family. Family is, after all, the most important thing in life. Everything else changes, but those who bore you and you bore yourself, well.. that relationship will always be there."

Antares doesn't find a name in the ledger - it would be unlikely for folks here to do such, as they have very little worry over people stealing such items. He does get the sense that the family did quite well with its trading, as that seems to be what primarily they did. Trading wood that they bought from the loggers to caravans that come by every so often. There is a note from a few days ago, "I hope that the unsettled nature of the town these days doesn't keep the caravans from coming. We would lose everything." Antares does remember that there wasn't any wood in the basement, but a caravan recently came through and based on the last entry, they may have sold all of it to the caravan master.

Muzdim discovers that the gem is simply a well crafted item with no likely magical properties. And can narrow the overall value to about 100 GP.

OOC: Creating new thread... Antares, please choose your spells for the night and mark them down.

New thread is here: www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?337111-Legacy-of-the-Silver-Dragon-Day-2-(Interlude)&p=6136567

Binder Fred

As they wait to be served, the young elf takes a reasonable pull from his ale (not usually his chosen drink, but in good company..), "So where would your own leanings take you on the morrow, friend Stellan? I am sure Teacher Dysare would be most glad to see you again?" Or, perhaps more to Steallan's liking: "She will no doubt have tales of her recent travels as well, to lands strange and distant?" She having just returned from parts unknown and all.

<Response Stellan?>

[A bit later, Bracegirdle residence]
"No worries Master elf! We were happy to have you here. I wish you well on your future endeavors, and with your family. Family is, after all, the most important thing in life. Everything else changes, but those who bore you and you bore yourself, well.. that relationship will always be there."
"In truth... Though often no simpler to manage for all its certainties, I fear. Though in truth there has been some progress there as well this day, at least in my way of thinking?" He shrugs, looking a bit embarrassed: "I -ah- might possibly write a letter later tonight?"

Antares doesn't find a name in the ledger - it would be unlikely for folks here to do such, as they have very little worry over people stealing such items. He does get the sense that the family did quite well with its trading, as that seems to be what primarily they did. Trading wood that they bought from the loggers to caravans that come by every so often. There is a note from a few days ago, "I hope that the unsettled nature of the town these days doesn't keep the caravans from coming. We would lose everything." Antares does remember that there wasn't any wood in the basement, but a caravan recently came through and based on the last entry, they may have sold all of it to the caravan master.

That might explain the coinage the two unfortunates carried, celebrating their continued fortune when pale darkness broke through from below?

Whatever the case, no other mention of the mysterious LM they were to meet to discuss "sponsorship", and no words even hinting at mysterious noises or scrappings from below -- just the passage he found earlier on 'replacing the collapsed well cover' just a day prior to the attack...

"Disappointing?" he murmurs to himself in the quiet of the night, not sure himself what he was expecting if not this? He lightly flips the ledger closed, contemplating the simple binding, the unadorned cover as it rests on the unassuming solidity of the tabletop... A name would have been nice, that at least this much might live on of former-Anna and her departed husband... Perhaps he should take the time to visit her neighbors sometimes tomorrow, perhaps between meeting with Teacher Dysare and their rendez-vous at the barracks around noon?

Enough delays for now: he has a letter to write, and there is no longer any putting it off!

* * *​

The half-candle is but a stub and the night-silence deep indeed by the time he puts quill to his - a look at the scattered, scrunched hempen bodies of his former attempts - he's lost count. This under his quill is an actual peice of parchment though: this will be the final version, whatever he ends up writing here, he will send to his sire!

Keep it simple, Antares: It has come to my attention in recent days that- (A portion? Some?) - some of the wisdoms you sought to impart might have- (merit? Practical applications perhaps?) - deep relevance to - (...activities I am called upon to- No good... Newly acquired responsibilities? His sire did love this particular word... He can't help feeling an unfortunately familiar tightening of deep down reluctance, built layer upon irregularly corded layer over all the years of his young adolescence..) - the tasks whose burden I have now chosen to gladly carry. (In previous versions he'd always insert something like: 'In addition and as you may have heard, your only son is now a founding member of the Behenian Adventuring Company' after this introductory. But then the core message became muddled as he went into a morass of - he feels - self-justification and the need to show he was indeed not 'wasting his life'! A tap with the quill's feathery end at his lower lip: best to keep it simple indeed, most likely.) If possible I would wish to discuss this and other matters of some import with you at your earliest convenience. Your - (Loving? Faithful?) - growing son, signed in wisdom on this 137th day of the Dawning Year: (And he signed with the graceful curves and ornate decorations of the high elven version of his name: ) Mialucee (Lord of the Seeds, as his people traditionally referred to his name-star. His sire and dam had had such hopes...).

He re-read this version - It has come to my attention in recent days that some of the wisdoms you sought to impart might have deep relevance to tasks whose burden I have now chosen to gladly carry. If possible, I would wish to discuss this and other matters of some import with you at your earliest convenience. Your growing son - etc, etc. He added a comma after possible and then almost crossed out 'gladly', but finally left it as is, only regretting that the Company did not yet have a seal, or even symbol to call its own. He should speak on this with the others tomorrow -- Stellan, in particular, had a love of things heraldic, and some talent with pen and brush as well, when he could be convinced to do more than dream...

He added: P.S. The messenger will carry reply should you wish to make one in the short term. Else send word to the abode of Garrett Bracegirdle and I will hear. He would send one of the older children out on the morrow -- with adequate compensation, of course. All in town knew where stood his family's tower.

Remove ads