Legacy of the Silver Dragon - Day 2 (Interlude)

gambler1650

Explorer
Glasia looks at Antares, a bit nonplussed.

"We haven't really interacted with goblins before today, other than brief encounters in the woods. They were likely too intimidated by the dragon's.. Eliaesel's presence, and because of that we obviously didn't feel the need to talk to them. The newest member of your company appears to have been able to communicate just fine with them. Which... come to think of it, does seem odd. But perhaps more of them will understand our language than we think. Or.." and here she looks at Muzdim, "Perhaps a follower of the God of Secrets would know a way to communicate with them?"

[sblock=Muzdim]You don't... But it's possible perhaps that other dwarven clerics might have information on the Goblin language.[/sblock]

She shakes her head, "None of this is going to be easy of course. But, well, the lives of adventurers' rarely are. No one would blame you if you decided to take on an easier, if not as exciting profession. But in these times, I think Ascadar will need those who do the things we never thought would be needed, and therefore have never yet done."

Finally, Glasia turns her attention to Beatrix. "You may. Even should our council countermand our decision on searching out the goblin village for parley, which they should have no reason to, Ascadar will welcome a new shrine to a goddess such as yours."

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Muzdim

"Perhaps, but then again, why would he reveal such an important secret?" the dwarf says grinning.
[sblock=Gambler]
Are there any other dwarven clerics that Muzdim knows about? [/sblock]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Ah, then, as to the goblin 'translators'...?" tentatively inquires Antares when nothing else seems forthcoming. And, as things seem to be leaning away from conditions favourable to the group's (pain-free) existence on this plane of existence (in his anxious estimate at least): "More- More than mere exchangers of words on our behalf, one could, perhaps, also have hoped to first convince them of our story in... more controlled circumstances? And - You are all wiser to such subjects than I. Might the gesture itself - the freeing of prisoners two prior to negotiations - Might -ah- Might it not count in Askadar's favour? Demonstrate to all our village's magnanimous hand and overarching power, as- as it were? We would of course keep them contained until such a time as the gesture could be made to... relevant authorities?" he quickly adds, although this is really the first time he's thought of it.

How does one convince two goblins to follow you into the wilderness?

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Glasia glances over at Mikon and Rikolai as comprehension comes into her eyes. "Ah, right. Things have been so confusing the past hour, I completely forgot we had goblin prisoners. That was just mentioned to me in passing. We have... two?" Mikon nods in agreement. "Two."

Glasia rubs her chin for a moment, "I can't give a guarantee that the rest of the council would agree, but I'm guessing that we could agree to let you take one of the two back with you. I think we should hold on to the other one, in case you have problems. They're our only source of information at the moment."

[sblock=Muzdim]There's one retired cleric, now a high ranking priest, in the hierarchy. The rest are mere priests, but could potentially have some information. However, as you know, secrets that one priest or cleric has may not be revealed to the whole hierarchy, not necessarily even the High Priest. One of the key elements of the religion is knowing which secrets should be revealed, and when."[/sblock]

Goldhammer

First Post
Beatrix nods. "I agree. Keeping one goblin here will give us bargaining chip when dealing with goblin tribe. Just in case things do not go as well as planned." The large woman explains. "However Malborka willing, goblins are just as willing as us to be getting rid of dark mage. When are we setting off?"

"Goblins seem very fond of sweet things."
Beatrix thinks. "Perhaps I may be able to covert them to the holy protection of Malborka."

gambler1650

Explorer
Rikolai looks around, and then says, "Ok, I'm off to inform Elise about this conversation. If she has any concerns I'll bring them up when we present the proposed plan to the rest of the council." Without another word, he heads off. Mikon suddenly pats himself down, "Ah, right! I was supposed to give you this." He hands a pouch to Stellan, who's been hanging off to the side. The young man looks at the dwarf, a bit confused. "Off the goblins. The guards said they patted them down."

Stellan looks inside, "Coins.. Mostly gold pieces, some sterlings."

OOC: A total of 100 GP - 90 of it in various denominations of gold coins, 10 of it in various denominations of silver

Mikon gives a wink to the group, "Alright. I think we've talked long enough. Time for you young adventurers to start the process of becoming old adventurers - hopefully. You can find me at the Half and Halfling tonight if you have any more questions. I doubt we'll see Glasia there." He moves on off, and after a moment Glasia departs too. "Unless I hear otherwise, I'll assume you can head off tomorrow morning. We'll bring the goblin to the edge of town where the attack occurred. He'll be bound and gagged, unless you want to try to talk to him tonight. He's in the cells."

OOC: I'd prefer not to drag out the talking with the goblin bit... If someone wants to RP it out, we can, but let's finish it within a couple of posts. XPs for this interlude about to be posted in the Talking the Talk thread.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"We have... two?" Mikon nods in agreement. "Two."
"Four," softly corrects Antares, though so low probably only he heard himself. (The three he himself put to sleep, plus the one that later surrendered to the warriors -- though, come to think of it, he did not see that one when the guards came through just now? He blinks at Beatrix.)

"One will likely be most sufficient," he quickly agrees with some relief when his time comes to speak, though the troublesomely honest words: "if somewhat less impressive," do escape his mouth before he can quite control it. "Ah, apologies. I meant..." he begins, and then trails off...

In truth, he's begun to imagine what wrangling TWO, perhaps most unwilling, green versions of the White Things through briar and wild woods might actually entail...

Yes, in truth one will most likely be MORE than enough.

Mikon suddenly pats himself down, "Ah, right! I was supposed to give you this." He hands a pouch to Stellan, who's been hanging off to the side. The young man looks at the dwarf, a bit confused. "Off the goblins. The guards said they patted them down."

Stellan looks inside, "Coins.. Mostly gold pieces, some sterlings."
"Those are... quite affluent goblins," mentions Antares, rather surprised. "Do you think they were bribed with coin as well?"

OOC: Where were the coins struck, Gambler (assuming they ARE struck)? i.e. are they standard, current Askadar currency or something else?

"Unless I hear otherwise, I'll assume you can head off tomorrow morning. We'll bring the goblin to the edge of town where the attack occurred. He'll be bound and gagged, unless you want to try to talk to him tonight. He's in the cells."
"I was -ah- actually hoping we could set out this after noon, this being a task of some urgency?" Much as it pains him to have to forgo his session with Teacher Dysare! "Or- Or do you think we should wait, and perhaps try to prepare more fully, Lord Mikon?" Which is a bit cowardly of him - hoping to somehow get his magical afternoon back, to delay the inevitable, somewhat terrifying treck into the unknown... And yet the dwarf obviously has more experience than all of them combined (with the possible exception of sister Beatrix).

Whatever the case, Antares will eventually reroll the goblin map for easy reference while they travel and, on their way out, hesitantly whisper to Beatrix: "You- If I may, you never said what happened to your goblin... Is he...?"

OOC: Antares would ideally want speak with the three goblins, yes, to hear their side of the story and to select the one who will accompany them (obviously the one that seems the most reasonable and convinced this is the right course of action). Maybe I could write his initial speech, modified by any input from the others, and we could solve the rest in one shot with rolls and DM fiat?

Goldhammer, Voda Vosa: Let's say 25gp each for the goblin loot (including Stellan)?

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
OOC: The coins look pretty old actually. All coins used in Ascadar are minted by the Empire of Man, and these coins do have the symbols - though weathered - that you would expect to see on local coins.

If Mikon or Glasia notice Antares' comments regarding the number of goblins that are currently captured, they don't respond. Glasia has half turned to the door, and smiles slightly over her shoulder at Antares when he mentions that two would be more impressive. "One should be enough. If talks go well, we'll give back the other one too. As far as when you leave, that is of course up to you. I'm pleased with your desire to leave right away though, so let's say 1 hour from now? Enough to prepare I should think. And probably not enough time for the council to disagree with us before you depart." At that, she smiles again.

When Antares expresses an interest in talking to the goblin, she hesitates for a moment and then nods, "Of course. Mikon, could I trouble you to lead him to the goblin, while I take our decision to the council?" Mikon nods, and waits for Antares to finish his question to Beatrix, and at his distance it's unlikely he overhears Antares' question.

OOC: I will continue to move this along past this point, but Beatrix's response is still welcomed! And please note that my desire to move past the discussion with the goblin has no bearing on the earlier roleplay between Beatrix and the other goblin. It's just that I think any 'sounding out of the goblin' on details other than his behaviour could be done 'en route'.

When Antares moves towards him (and anyone else who may want to come along), Mikon listens to the young elf and says "My only advice is to make sure you're fully equipped for what you think you will encounter. But in the wilderness you will need other items than what you need underground. Now that you have a base, you can leave items that you don't think you will need. Always remember your rope. Oh... and..." here he glances at Muzdim again, with a wink when he thinks Antares isn't watching, "Being quiet is the best way to keep from being attacked by hungry animals." He probably gives away some of his actual intent on the last by his amused chuckle however.

OOC: So... Let me know what everyone is planning to do. If anyone wants to go with Antares, let me know what your intended behaviour to the goblins will be. If anyone wants to provision, feel free to ask if items you want are available and I'll let you know. Antares, create your speech if you want and have others weigh in. I'll decide the result from there and get the next part moving early next week.

Last edited:

Goldhammer

First Post
Whatever the case, Antares will eventually reroll the goblin map for easy reference while they travel and, on their way out, hesitantly whisper to Beatrix: "You- If I may, you never said what happened to your goblin... Is he...?"

OOC: Antares would ideally want speak with the three goblins, yes, to hear their side of the story and to select the one who will accompany them (obviously the one that seems the most reasonable and convinced this is the right course of action). Maybe I could write his initial speech, modified by any input from the others, and we could solve the rest in one shot with rolls and DM fiat?

Goldhammer, Voda Vosa: Let's say 25gp each for the goblin loot (including Stellan)?

"Gone." Is all Beatrix says about the goblin, feeling it best not to mention she let the goblin go in front of the council Secretly she hoped the mercy she showed that goblin who help them when they met the tribe later.

"I'll come with you." The Fat Priestess states, following Antares to where the goblins are being kept. "Goblin was very talkative, maybe I'll be of use to you when talking with these prisoners."

OOC: Beatrix's will use her physical size, the knowledge of the kidnapping she got from the goblin and word of Malborka, including the use of sweets, to help Antares question the goblin prisoners. He's free to use these traits as he wishes in his speech. She'll also try to talk the goblins into worshipping Malborka.

Before leaving Malborka will send the following letter back to her Sisterhood.

"Excellent news, the town has agreed to grant us space to build a shine-food stall to our bless goddess. Please send a party of Wall Sisters as soon as possible to build the shine and run the stall as soon as possible. The food in this town is quite watery and plain, so I believe we'll have no trouble winning over the townspeople. Malborka willing, we shall soon be able to a Temple-Inn here !"

"In meantime I am going to instigate rumours of a dark mage who's been tricking goblins into attacking the town. To accomplish this, I have teamed up with an adventuring group called the Behenian Company. Shall have news once it's been dwelt with."

"May Malborka guard our souls, feed our bellies and strengthen our hearts."

Remove ads