Legal Eagle has entered the chat, about OGL 1.1

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
This story is exploding all over my news feed today.

Forbes:

Electronic Frontier Foundation:

Dexerto:

ComicBook.com:

Hackaday:

Inverse:

Ars Technica:

TechCrunch:

There's more, this is jut the first page!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This story is exploding all over my news feed today.

Forbes:

Electronic Frontier Foundation:

Dexerto:

ComicBook.com:

Hackaday:

Inverse:

Ars Technica:

TechCrunch:

There's more, this is jut the first page!
The "mainstream coverage of D&D" thread is going to be taking a serious turn.

Hex08

Hero
I just watched his video on Nebula. Pretty interesting, his take is basically that the OGL is unnecessary because you can't copyright rules. Obviously nothing is certain in the law until it ends up in front of a judge but this really sheds new light on what's going on.

Hex08

Hero
Well he doesn't talk about the main thing that concerns us - purported revocation of OGL 1.0. He does give a reasonable presentation on the limits of copyright, making pretty clear that while you can potentially publish D&D adventures without a licence, you can't do something like Pathfinder 1e without a licence.
I'm not sure he even says you can't do Pathfinder 1E. Since rules can't be copyrighted and Pathfinder doesn't use copyrighted material (like a Beholder) it would be ok. Of course, I'm not a lawyer so I may be talking out my butt.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I think one thing he mentioned is worth repeating endlessly.

Words with Friends can exist because you cannot copyright the rules to Scrabble.

A VTT does not reproduce the copyrighted expression of the rules of a game. It uses non-copyrightable rules and processes. VTTs are safe. WotC can sue, because anyone can sue for any reason. But they'll likely lose. I am not a lawyer.

For an example using Hasbro IP. The board game Diplomacy. There are at least two websites that host games of Diplomacy with no connection or license by Hasbro to do so. Because they don't need one. PlayDiplomacyOnline and Backstabbr. These sites are VTTs for Diplomacy.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases