• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Legen Lore 7/14/2014

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Excellent news thanks the D&D team!! Increasing page count rather than cut statblocks, entries or monsters entirely was definitly the better options IMHO...

Never have too many of these and always need MOAR MONSTARZ!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Modrons make me smile. Kudos to WotC on this one. :)

Perhaps a few yugoloths in the MM? They almost made it into the 3e MM, maybe this time they will.

What would make me even happier is some actual Planescape style classic tieflings. Non-homogenous in appearance, any fiend heritage (and no, pre-4e tieflings weren't just demon blooded, I've seen this claim in the past few days and it makes me facepalm), etc.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have played/run D&D since 1985 or so, I have never once encountered in play or used as an encounter Modrons of any sort. They are boring LN joke monsters made after some person without much imagination was inspired by looking at the dice in front of him. I consider any page with these, flumphs, or other non monster monster wastes of space and page count.

Mike Mearls: We're adding more pages of the MM for free!
Paraxis: Here, lemme try and spin free additional pages as a negative!

Come on Paraxis, you gotta be able to find something positive to say about free additional pages. I mean, you cannot have wasted page count if it was free to begin with! You know odds are you're going to like SOMETHING contained in those new pages, why not focus on that?

Aloïsius

First Post
If there are modrons and flumph, but no phoenix nor sphinx nor roc nor cyclops (and so on), I would be disappointed. I guess they are OK with many old players, but for newcomers, mythological monsters (sirens, harpies, giants...) are much more evocative. Mummies or Morgh ? Wraith or Allip ? Manticore or Yrthak ?
This is why I can understand what Paraxis is saying.

Now, if those extra 32 pages allow for all the "universal" monsters to be here, I will be happy.

I would consider Dark Ones to be iconic, as they're a Fiend Folio monster that's stuck.

But I'd expect them to cut out Tojanda, Trendiculous, Phantom Fungus and Arrowhawk. I do hope they keep the large shadow undead like Nightwalkers, Nightwings and Nightcrawlers that were introduced in 3e as those things were evocative, but Morgh or Allip I could care less about.

My long-shot monster? Xill.

Specifically, I'd like to see art for the xill that's less "oh look, it's a poorly-drawn red thri-kreen" and more "did Giger do some work on this edition?" Since they're ultimately xenomorphs and all.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If there are modrons and flumph, but no phoenix nor sphinx nor roc nor cyclops (and so on), I would be disappointed. I guess they are OK with many old players, but for newcomers, mythological monsters (sirens, harpies, giants...) are much more evocative. Mummies or Morgh ? Wraith or Allip ? Manticore or Yrthak ?
This is why I can understand what Paraxis is saying.

Now, if those extra 32 pages allow for all the "universal" monsters to be here, I will be happy.

It's 32 pages you were not getting before, and now you are getting them, for free. The odds are you will find at least one thing in those 32 pages you will like. So in what way do you understand spinning that news as negative? If I sent you 32 Euros for free and twelve of them turned out to be ripped up so bad you cannot use them, would you still spin it as negative that I sent you free money some of which you could spend?

Your worst case scenario is you're back to where you were before this news.

I mean seriously, if we cannot take "here is some extra stuff for free" as good news, what is left to take as good news anymore? Can't we draw the line somewhere at spinning everything on the net as negative?

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
I would consider Dark Ones to be iconic, as they're a Fiend Folio monster that's stuck.

But I'd expect them to cut out Tojanda, Trendiculous, Phantom Fungus and Arrowhawk. I do hope they keep the large shadow undead like Nightwalkers, Nightwings and Nightcrawlers that were introduced in 3e as those things were evocative, but Morgh or Allip I could care less about.

True story: the Nightshades were from Basic (BECMI) D&D, along with chokers, althach, and aranea.

And I love Allips: ghosts of the insane that cause madness in others by sound and touch? That is freaky!

Remove ads