• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Legen Lore 7/14/2014

fanboy2000

Adventurer
There is one thing about the 3.x MMIs that I liked, but suspect won't be included. (Though I'd live them) And that is the Animal section (just various animal stats, nothing magical or special) and the vermin section (monsters bugs and rodents). I got a lot of milage out of those sections, they're great for dangerous encounters that don't need to be bogged down in politics or mystery. They can show how untamed and uncivilized the world is.

Agamon

Adventurer
How dare they put anything in any of the books that I wouldn't personally use! Disgraceful!

I also think modrons are joke monsters, but do not judge those that would use them, nor worry that they will appear in the MM, especially with the news that we're getting an extra 10% of book at no cost.

Wolfskin

Explorer
There is one thing about the 3.x MMIs that I liked, but suspect won't be included. (Though I'd live them) And that is the Animal section (just various animal stats, nothing magical or special) and the vermin section (monsters bugs and rodents). I got a lot of milage out of those sections, they're great for dangerous encounters that don't need to be bogged down in politics or mystery. They can show how untamed and uncivilized the world is.
FWIW, there are wolves in the Starter Set monsters section (they are 1/4 CR), so I can definitely see more animals in the MM. Not a lot, perhaps, but a few dangerous ones.

ccooke

Adventurer

Stats for animals is a guarantee... because of the way Druid wildshape works.

JC99

Explorer
FWIW, there are wolves in the Starter Set monsters section (they are 1/4 CR), so I can definitely see more animals in the MM. Not a lot, perhaps, but a few dangerous ones.
They could probably get away with a few generic listings by size category as well. "Tiny Animal", "Small Animal", "Huge Animal", etc.

... really, don't need to say anything but: "Yay!"

Also, Modrons!
I have played/run D&D since 1985 or so, I have never once encountered in play or used as an encounter Modrons of any sort. They are boring LN joke monsters made after some person without much imagination was inspired by looking at the dice in front of him. I consider any page with these, flumphs, or other non monster monster wastes of space and page count.
Although I certainly don't feel as vehement, I had to google what a Modron was, and (still) have no interest in it's stats either. Or flumphs. Or, in fact, good aligned dragons till MM2. But, heck, unless they make the MM similar to 2E but with PoD individual monster sheets it is never going to be my collection of monsters. Glad there is love for some of these creatures, even if I will never use them or even know what they are! As long as someone will kill them and take their stuff, it's good :D

None at all, I bet. It has a lot more to do with the outrage of iconic monsters being left out of the MM in 4E.

Cheers!

True, I think too

D&D has so many iconic monsters that I just don't think one Monster Manual can possibly be enough.
There is a PDF floating on the interwebs, which I saw on Dragonsfoot (IIRC) that someone had printed out. It is a collection of every individual page of the 2E MC alphabetized and put into one PDF. It came in at over 3,100 pages, that is 3,100+ monsters produced for 2E!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
There is a PDF floating on the interwebs, which I saw on Dragonsfoot (IIRC) that someone had printed out. It is a collection of every individual page of the 2E MC alphabetized and put into one PDF. It came in at over 3,100 pages, that is 3,100+ monsters produced for 2E!

Thankfully, they're not all iconic. Far from it, in fact! :)

However, there are a surprising number of monsters that have become iconic during the run of the game...

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads