[Legend of the Five Rings 4th Ed] Angels of the Phoenix

Vanifae

First Post
Session 4: Seven Devils – Part 1

6th of the Serpent, 1172 IC, Southern Sweet Plum Province

Kohaku relaxed as he walked under the bright summer sun, the road through this part of the Sweet Plum Province was well tended to if somewhat treacherous of late with rumors of bandits and the threat of war with the Dragon clan. He was a ronin, no less of noble standing but an outcast amidst the society of samurai. It had been days since he had a good meal or a strong drink worthy of the name. Thankfully he was not far from a village, a little hard work and a warm meal and s stiff drink could be his.

[Kohaku is a new character, a ronin samurai with an interesting past. I needed to find a fun way to bring him into the story. This little side plot is more of a flashback; Shiba Kani was played by Hana’s character; I only had two players this session. – DM’s note]

The sound of steel on steel, followed by steel on flesh stirred Kohaku from his revelry. He moved forward taking care to stay out of sight while he took the scene. Two green garbed bandits menaced two travelers, corpses of samurai and bandits cooled in the afternoon sun. One traveler was a Phoenix bushi, the other a young girl, no more than ten or so, armed with a blood stained katana. Kohaku furrowed his brow as he noticed a third bandit sneaking up from the bushes. His instinct kicked in and he moved quickly as the last two bandits were cut down by the traveler, his blade cutting down the final bandit with ease. Although a ronin bloodshed and combat were familiar to Kohaku.

Shiba Kani, the last remaining Phoenix bushi, addressed Kohaku, “Who are you stranger?”

The young girl held her blade high wary of the stranger, “Are you a bandit as well!”

Kani kept her blade raised as well. Kohaku smirked, “You do realize I saved your lives, right?”

“That does not mean we trust you stranger, you carry a sword so you must be samurai, who do you serve?” Kani replied never letting her guard waver.

“I serve no man,” Kohaku shrugged.

“A ronin, just as I thought,” Kani clarified, “Well we thank you for your aid ronin, now we should get going Sukime-sama.”

Sukime nodded, “A real-life ronin? Do you have name wave man? I thought all ronin were dirty and scary, but you don’t seem that dirty to me. My name is Sukime what is yours?”

Kohaku stumbled for a moment before replying, “Kohaku, and how many ronin have you actually met little one?”

“Well just one now,” the young samurai child replied, “but you don’t seem all that scary Kohaku-san; don’t you get lonely traveling by yourself? Well you don’t have to be lonely anymore you should come with us and eat, right Kani-san?”

Kani sighed reluctantly, “That is acceptable, we should hurry along then.”

The ronin shrugged and followed the two travelers to the nearest village. The village was quaint and simple; the samurai find shelter and a warm meal waiting for them. Sukime was happy to be sitting down and having some warm rice to eat. The young girl continued her interrogation of the ronin, “So where are you from, Kohaku-san?”

“Far from here, Sukime-san,” Kohaku grinned between mouthfuls of rice.

“My dad is the daimyo of this province, he is a great man and a very powerful samurai,” Sukime smiled, “I will grow up to be strong just like my father. I will be a great samurai! Have you killed many warriors, Kohaku-san?”

“No, not so many little one. I try not to kill needlessly, there is no glory in death,” the ronin replied softly.

“But don’t you want to be a strong warrior? You have to kill to be a strong warrior like my friend, Shiatari-san. That is what she says anyway. I want to be strong like her,” Sukime nodded.

“I think you are plenty brave and strong, Sukime-san,” Kohaku replied with a smile, “I think you will be quite the strong warrior one day.”

Kani just watched quietly as the conversation continued. Sukime grinned, “I like you Kohaku-san, when I am done with training I think we should get married because you seem strong and I will be strong too!”

Kani coughed, trying to stifle a surprised laugh. Kohaku ignored the older Phoenix bushi as he responded, “I would be honored, little one.”

“Great then it’s settled. Oh and I have one more request, could you deliver this letter to my sister, but you can’t look at it! Take this to Sweet Plum Castle and give it to my sister directly, Mayako!” The young girl quickly scrawled a few more words into her hastily written letter and then sealed it up for the ronin.

“I promise Sukime-san,” Kohaku agreed. The young ronin stood sensing another journey upon him. He strode for the door but was interrupted by a young woman of plain face and simple virtues.

The young woman offered him a letter, “You dropped this.”

Kohaku smiled offering her thanks and left on his newfound journey. Junko smiled as the ronin took to the road.

[It was nice to bring Junko back in this little flashback and it was fun having this little side plot to bring Kohaku into the fold. – DM’s note]

Falkus

Explorer
I just finished reading it. While I'm not familiar with the system or setting, I've enjoyed the story hour so far, and I'm looking forward to future updates! :)

Vanifae

First Post
Session 4: Seven Devils – Part 2

14th of the Serpent, 1172 IC, Southern Sweet Plum Province

Hana sighed as Nobutada hovered about her, his arm was in a sling from his injuries from the battle. The young Seppun samurai followed her about acting as her impromptu yojimbo and protecting his own self interest in the young Crane shugenja’s favor. She spent her time in the village in the shadow of South Border Fortress, it was a calm and soothing place, overly quaint by her standards but place of good people. Lot in her thoughts she barely registered that Nobutada was speaking with someone and for once it was not her.

She glanced and saw an armed man of the road, a samisen on his back and a daisho at his hip. He wore no mon or heraldry, in her summation he was probably a ronin. Not totally uncommon given the current political climate of the region. She brushed the thoughts aside as the words exchanged between Nobutada and the stranger soon turned heated.

Nobutada sneered, “Ronin scum, give me the message for my cousin and I will see to it that she gets it.”

The ronin, Kohaku, grinned, “I don’t think so. I promised her little sister I would deliver it into her hands.”

Hana interposed herself between the two bushi, “I am sure we can come to some kind of agreement, why don’t we discuss this over some warm food and sake?”

The ronin nodded, “I can agree to that, I could use some good drink.”

Nobutada shrugged as the group entered the simple sake house, the staff were quick to seat the samurai and see to their needs. Kohaku was impressed with the treatment, he was used to being recognized as a samurai but the respect was not that much greater than an armed peasant. Obviously he was in good company, well despite being in the presence of a Crane samurai. Kohaku was a bastard child of a whore and a Crane duelist, Kakita Benimaru. The very thought of his father, the One Eyed Duelist, made his blood boil thankfully he had warm sake in him to ease his mood.

[Kakita Benimaru is an enemy of Kohaku and is actually named after a rogue we had in a D&D 4E game I ran with this player. I am actually excited to bring this character into the campaign at my earliest convenience. – GM’s note]

Hana decided to break the silence, “So Kohaku-san, what is the message you have for Agasha Mayako-san?”

“It’s a letter from her younger sister,” Kohaku replied through mouthfuls of rice.

“So you met little Keiko-chan? How is she, how is my little cousin?” Nobutada asked.

“Nope, that wasn’t her name,” Kohaku replied after a draught of sake, “Sukime-san sent me on this mission and I will not betray hr trust. She is my wife to be after all.”

Nobutada blinked, “What? She is still a child!”

“Relax friend, she swore to wait till she was a true samurai after her training, and I am bound my word to not betray her trust. You can trust me,” Kohaku laughed.

“We shall see,” Nobutada brooded, “well is Sukime-chan alright? How did you meet her?”

Kohaku grinned and related his tale of the bandits and his timely intervention on the matter. Hana listened intently trying to keep the two bushi from overly indulging but her actions were far too little too late and soon the once enemies were becoming fast an drunken friends, exchanging pleasantries with threats with equal abandon. Hana had to survive the clumsy advances of Nobutada and the crude jokes of Kohaku. She was thankful when the two men decided to retire late in the evening, the ronin was surprised when the Seppun scion offered him accommodations in the fortress.

Hana approached her chamber slowly noticing someone behind her. She turned to find Nobutada, “Good night Nobutada-san.”

“You sure you don’t need me to… uh keep you company… [hic] this evening?” Nobutada slurred.

“I am fine, just go back to bed and I will see you in the morning,” Hana replied.

“You sure?” Nobutada smirked leaning lazily against the wall.

“Positive, Go. To. Bed,” Hana rolled her eyes, her patience growing short.

Nobutada retreated as Hana sighed and took some solace in a good night’s sleep. Morning came all too soon for the three young samurai, especially Nobutada and Kohaku. The ronin was not used to having such fine accommodations, it was a far cry from traveling on the road and playing music or utilizing his sword arm to earn his next meal. With Nobutada’s help Kohaku was able to deliver his letter…

But to his surprise he had two letters on his person both for Mayako. He delivered them if only to fulfill his oath. Mayako read through both letters quickly, though one brought great concern to her and her father, the daimyo of the province. Whatever was written in the letter was of grave importance to the Great Strategist. He ordered his retainers, Hana and Nobutada to hunt down the source of the second letter, Junko and bring her to the castle to face his judgment.

The Great Strategist sat alone in his chamber, a grim look across his face, “Mayako will remain here, as a provincial magistrate she has many duties to learn. As her yoriki you will head to Far Rice Village and find this Junko; bring her to me and quickly. The mayor is a loyal servant of the Empress, she may be able to help.”

Hana nodded and accepted her duty, she turned to Nobutada, “We should leave as soon as we are able and quickly.”

Nobutada nodded, “Revered uncle we will find her.”

The Great Strategist nodded, “Divine Empress’ will be done.”

Hana gathered her things and headed for the courtyard, there Kohaku was waiting entertaining the bored bushi with his music and stories. Hana turned to Nobutada, “What do we do about him?”

“He is a ronin, why not just pay him to go with us, ronin are loyal to coin at least,” Nobutada replies preparing his horse.

Hana nodded, “Kohaku-san we have a proposition for you, we have to leave the castle for a few days, we can pay you to join us and we could probably use an extra hand.”

Kohaku smirked, “I suppose I could be persuaded.”

Nobutada nodded, “It should be a simple matter and since you are partly responsible for this matter.”

“Me?” Kohaku replied.

“You did deliver the letter,” Nobutada chided getting astride his steed.

The trio continued their discussion as they prepared for their journey. Shiba Gouda approached them, the commander of the fortress and a loyal servant of the Great Strategist. His face was a wretched mess that made him unforgettable, it was as if the left side was stretched taut over his skull giving him a wretched and twisted countenance. Gouda grinned looking at the gathered samurai speaking in his unctuous tone, “You should take care on your journey to Seven Devils, milady.”

“Seven Devils?” Hana replied with a quizzical brow.

“Far Rice Village is now known as Seven Devils, last I heard, a beauty like you should take care in such a hive of villainy. There is no authority there, so you should be doubly wary,” Gouda grinned.

Hana did her best not to stare, “Thank you for the warning.”

“If you need help,” Gouda smiled as best as his wretched face could manage, “seek the aid of Kasuga Ryoko-san; she is a Tortoise clan smuggler with strong ties in Seven Devils. Though I hear her methods are a little questionable. Please take care Asahina-san, Seven Devils is a dangerous place.”

Hana smiled weakly, “Thank you.” She then urged her horse forward with Kohaku and Nobutada following. The trio entered the unaligned territories and made way for the lawless town of Seven Devils.

Gouda watched them go with a leering hideous smile.

[Shiba Gouda is an interesting character I hope to flesh out more next session he is based at least physically on the character of Gouda from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and has a similar personality. Overall this session was purely role play and I enjoyed it. – GM’s note]

Vanifae

First Post
I just finished reading it. While I'm not familiar with the system or setting, I've enjoyed the story hour so far, and I'm looking forward to future updates! :)
Thanks we play tomorrow so I am busy trying to pump out the last bits of the last session and then do some prep if you have any questions about the game or setting I don't mind answering them.

Vanifae

First Post
Session 4: Seven Devils – Part 3

18th of the Serpent, 1172 IC, Southern Sweet Plum Province

Three days of travel across rolling plains, with the hot summer sun during the days and a cold indifferent moon in the nights. Hana was not used to all this traveling and exertion it may have helped if her company was better but between the ronin and the Seppun bushi, there was little good conversation to be had. The two unlikely friends did keep each other company which made Hana all the more pleased, since that meant they didn’t bother her all that much.

Nearing the end of the third day the trio of samurai saw Seven Devils coming into view, it was a large town, perhaps a small city of ramshackle buildings surrounded by rice fields with working peasants tending their crops under the watchful eye of armed men who gave the samurai indifferent glances. It reminded Hana of Ryoko Owari, the City of Lies, perhaps it was something in the air. The samurai passed through gates paying a small “tax” to the guards and entered Seven Devils proper.

This was a den of crime and iniquity, a dead body lie in the street the victim of some recent mugging or perhaps gang retaliation Hana could not tell, she had her own reasons for coming to this village and would stay focused on her goal. She glanced at her companions glad that they were nearby, they were uncouth and violent, but both were handy with a blade and if things got out of hand it would be needed.

Kohaku broke the silence, “So where do we start looking, and who are we looking for again?”

“Junko,” Nobutada answered, “I say we speak with the mayor, they would be well connected here.”

“What about the smuggler?” Kohaku replied while navigating his horse around the mass of peasants in the streets. For their part the peasants did their best to show some proper deference for the samurai.

“What about her she can’t be trusted, Gouda-sama said as much,” Nobutada retaliated.

Hana shivered at the mention of the man’s name his wretched face popping into her mind. She turned to her companions, “We should split up and speak with the mayor and this smuggler, either could know something about Junko.”

“I’m going to speak with the smuggler,” Kohaku shrugged.

“We can go to the mayor,” Nobutada asserted moving closer to Hana. Hana reluctantly agreed and turned her mount bidding Kohaku goodbye.

Kohaku smirked and after some rather scant questions of the locals he found the smuggler’s base of operations as it were an opium den that catered to gambling and prostitution. He dismounted and approached three men burst from the entrance carrying a fourth, they tossed the fourth man down the steps.

The obvious leader of the thugs shouted, “If you show your face around here Ko you won’t live too long to regret it. Pay what you owe, the mistress is losing her patience with you!”

Kohaku, never one to stand aside when the poor were in distress, strode defiantly to the peasant’s side, “Are you okay?”

“Those… those men they swindled me that gambling house cheated me of my winnings! How will I ever feed my wife and kids, I’m ruined! Someone should stand up to her,” the poor man sobbed.

“Don’t worry friend, you just get home to your wife and stay clear of these gambling halls, if I can help you I will,” Kohaku smiled.

“Bless you great samurai, bless you!”

“Just go on home this is no place for you,” Kohaku helped the stranger to his feet and sent him on his way.

The thugs stopped him at the door, their leader grunted, “Piss off samurai, paying customers only.”

“I have money,” Kohaku replied, “why did you toss that poor man out on his ass?”

“He ain’t paid his debts, the boss don’t like that, he better come up with the money or he will have worse then that,” the thug chuckled his cronies following suit.

Kohaku strode past the trio of thugs and took a look around the opium den. There were several tables set up for gambling and a second floor where the prostitutes lounged making cat calls at the patrons. He decided to grab a game of dice and relax until he figured out his next move, besides he could use a stiff drink.

[Kohaku has a weakness for alcohol, so he drinks any chance he can get. – GM’s note]

Meanwhile…

Hana and Nobutada had found themselves a guide, a rather destitute guide, but a guide nonetheless. He was a thin scraggly fellow in his twilight years with a stubbly chin he constantly stroked as he talked, he had the manner of a backwoods yokel and his stories all focused on his good friend Fo who was the smartest man he ever knew. Although not so smart to win at gambling, poor Fo had to sell his daughter into prostitution to pay his debts. But thankfully Fo was smart enough to have a second daughter just in case his gambling got himself into trouble again!

[The guide’s stories actually made Hana’s player cringe; he was a fun one off character to play. I did a fun yokel country voice for him and stroked my chin whenever I went into character for him. – GM’s note]

Hana was grateful to leave the guide’s presence and enter the mayor’s home which was quite opulent compared to most of the structures they had seen in the town. The mon of Otomo Amaya was emblazoned on a flag in front of the home.

Nobutada smiled, “An Otomo, our luck has changed then, I did not expect one of the imperial families in such a place. This has to be a good omen.”

The two samurai were quickly brought into the home and given refreshments by the servants while the lady of the house prepared herself for the unannounced guests. Hana took a seat in the garden, it was a pleasant place, serene even. A far cry from the chaos and iniquity just outside the mayor’s doors.

Finally the lady of the house made her appearance after some long minutes, she wore a fine silk kimono of green and black, her hair was worn in the traditional style if a little dated and her face had lines of age and worry on them, a practiced smile on her lips. Otomo Amaya greeted her guests, “Greetings I am Otomo Amaya, town mayor and magistrate. It is a pleasure to receive such young magnates of the Empire, what news do you bring?”

“I am Asahina Hana and this is my… yojimbo Seppun Nobutada-san. We are actually looking for someone, a woman by the name of Junko she fled the Phoenix territories and we believe she came here, we are retainers of Agasha Kosuke-dono, Daimyo of the Sweet Plum Province,” Hana presented their travel papers and chop proving the validity of the claim.

“How prestigious, well you are both welcome in my home I am afraid to say that I am not aware of such a woman but I will put every available resource at my disposal to the task of finding this woman. What has she done?” Amaya questioned with her practiced smile.

“We believe she may be a witch who practices dark magic,” Nobutada replied bluntly, “she is dangerous and our lord will have her answer for her crimes.”

“Ah well then such an individual must be found quickly, I will have my son and his men search the city for this criminal. Is there anything else you require?” Amaya said with a sweet tone. She placed her hands in her lap, “Will you need rooms for your stay, I would be more than happy to offer my home to such prestigious samurai.”

“I… we would like that yes, you are most kind,” Hana smiled.

“Think nothing of it, we so rarely get quality visitors, a Crane scion must be well connected with the Winter Courts, perhaps we can work out a favor for a favor? It has been an age since I have visited a Winter Court worthy of the name,” Amaya replied wistfully.

“I am sure we could work something out,” Hana offered, she was not as greatly connected as even she would have liked but it was a simple favor.

“Thank you, I knew just by looking at you that we would be fast friends,” Amaya bowed demurely.

Hana returned the bow, “We shall return soon I have some business in town to attend to. I thank you for all your help.”

“More business?” the mayor replied quizzically.

“A simple matter, we shall return later this evening, until then be well Otomo-sama,” Hana left Nobutada following her.

“So why didn’t we tell her about the smuggler?” Nobutada asked he got astride his horse.

“Just being prudent, we don’t fully understand this place and the wrong name in the wrong place could be disastrous,” Hana answered. She wrinkled her nose when she noticed their guide was waiting for them. With a sigh she asked to be taken to the smuggler’s base of operations and then prepared herself for more debauched stories of failed parenting.

Meanwhile…

Kohaku smiled pulling in his winnings. He was doing quite well for himself and felt that he had gorged himself on good drink long enough. He casually mentioned the name of the smuggler, Kasuga Ryoko to the other gamblers. The room went silent and all eyes were on him.

The polite thug leader approached the ronin, “Why you asking about the boss?”

“I got business with her,” Kohaku replied tersely.

“What kind of business?”

“For her ears only,” Kohaku threw his dice once more.

“Well then we shouldn’t keep the boss waiting, get up,” the thug leader grunted.

Kohaku gathered up his winnings and followed his escort upstairs past the prostitutes. He was instructed to wait while the thug made sure everything was fine. After a few short minutes he was roughly ushered inside a simple chamber where a woman stood over a bound peasant, her kimono was scandalously open, baring her tattooed flesh to the world, he even caught sight of her bountiful cleavage and slender legs.

“Who are you?” the woman commanded while two thugs beat on the bound peasant with bamboo.

“Kohaku, and I am…” he winced at the beating, “here for information. Why are you beating this man?”

“Don’t concern yourself with him, better for you ronin. As for your information I know plenty of things but I don’t give it away for free, so what is it you could do for me that would be worth my while?” Ryoko replied softly.

Kohaku kept looking at the wailing man, “Whatever he did, does not justify this torture.”

“He owes me money, he can’t pay an example must be made of him, this is Seven Devils. This is how things work here,” she gestured to the man. She knelt down by him, “He won’t suffer for long, soon he will die and be dumped in the river.”

“You are going to kill him?” Kohaku gasped.

“What, you disapprove?”

“I can’t stand by and watch an innocent man die,” Kohaku pleaded.

Ryoko laughed, “Innocent? This isn’t the Imperial City, there are no innocents here. But since you seem so concerned for this wretch’s life, then why don’t we gamble for it. If you win this man’s life will be spared and I will consider his debt paid; but if I win your life will be forfeit for his and you die in his place. No one can say that I’m not fair.”

Kohaku grinned, “Deal.”

Ryoko tossed dice at his feet, “Then roll.”

Kohaku gulped taking the dice in his hands. He prayed to the Fortunes to grant him luck and then let the dice fly. Each roll on the ground seemed like an eternity the sound of the dice hitting the floor like the shattering boom of thunder. It all happened so slowly, yet the dice finally settled… he had lost.

[Kohaku had to spend a Void point to make the Gaming roll and still lost to Ryoko who was a superior opponent; it was a fun scene. – GM’s note]

Kohaku gulped, “I lost let this man go and take my life instead.”

“You have a stupid kind of bravery, Kohaku. I won’t kill this man and I won’t take your life either, I will take his hand as a reminder that I am a merciful woman. I think that’s fair,” Ryoko ran her fingers along the wailing man’s back.

“Fine,” Kohaku replied somewhat relieved at the outcome.

Meanwhile…

Hana was glad to bid her guide goodbye and entered the opium den. It was a smoky place of sin and vice. Gambling, prostitution, and other vices for those with money enough to pay for the services. She spotted a woman who looked surprisingly like Otomo Amaya, though far younger sitting at a table with other young women and men enjoying a rather scandalous evening of sake and mind altering substances.

She approached the woman, who glanced up at the Crane shugenja and spoke first, “Oh bring me some more sake please.”

Hana furrowed her brow, “I am no hostess, I’m looking for Kasuga Ryoko-san, have you seen her?”

“Ryoko-sama,” the woman lazily shook her head, “no I can’t say that I have, but if you see her tell her I want some more stock… I smoked just about all the rest I got last time. I’m good for the money, can you do that little girl?” Her friends laughed at the petty joke.

Hana frowned, “I am not your errand girl.”

“Well then why are you bothering me then? Don’t you like know who I am? My mother runs this town and you’re starting to piss me off, so run along little girl. If you know what is like good for you, you’ll past that message on to Ryoko-sama,” she rolled her eyes dismissively taking a sip of sake.

Hana turned and thankfully got more help from one of the hugs milling about the bottom floor of the opium den. She noticed a mewling man being lead out with bandages around the stump of an arm he cradled close to his chest. She frowned once more and then followed the thug upstairs and into Ryoko’s office.

Kohaku breathed a sigh of relief to see his two companions and then got right down to business. Ryoko was willing to part with information she had on Junko but she had a favor the samurai would need to handle first before she parted with the information. Hana was wary but relented since this was the best lead they had gotten all evening. Ryoko just needed them to pay a visit to a business partner and ‘remind’ him that he had some outstanding debts that needed to be rectified. The trio agreed and went on their way.

The man in question was a dog-fighter trainer and ran a dog-fighting operation down by the docks. It was an easy enough place to find, the old warehouse that was being used as a makeshift arena was lit up with crude lanterns and had a large crowd gathered to watch the dog-fights. The sight sickened Hana as the animals battled for the amusement and greed of the onlookers. Nobutada stayed close to Hana while Kohaku did most of the ‘negotiations’. Hana took the time to remove some of the younger animals from their cages and even kept a few for herself while Kohaku reminded the dog-fight trainer why it would be a bad idea to stiff Ryoko-sama of her cut. He informed Kohaku that he wasn’t purposefully trying to hold out on her but that one of the local gangs the Devil Tiger’s was trying to put pressure on him for a cut as well. Kohaku grinned gave the man a solid punch to his nose for good measure and the samurai returned to Ryoko-sama.

Ryoko spoke up as the samurai were brought into her more opulent offices on the second floor, “So?”

“I reminded him that he should stay on your good side, he says that the Devil Tigers are putting pressure on him though,” Kohaku answered.

“We did our part,” Nobutada added.

“Devil Tigers just never know when to quit, but you are right you did your part. I know a little something about this Junko, heard that the Kuwata Family picked up a ronin shugenja a few weeks ago. The description you gave me seems to match up, so if you are looking for her, then you are going to deal with them. Good luck with that,” Ryoko smiled.

“What can you tell us about the Kuwata Family?” Hana asked.

“One of the big gangs here, they consider themselves the oldest gang, claim they are descended from some Phoenix families that were left behind here when this town got started as Far Rice Village. They stay out of my business I stay out of theirs it’s been a good working business relationship so far,” Ryoko replied leaning back on her pillows.

“We need to get in touch with the Kuwata Family then, maybe Otomo-sama can help us?” Nobutada blurted out.

“The old bag probably could, she has connections to all the gangs in town, sure she can do something for you. But if our business is concluded, I have other pressing matters to attend to,” Ryoko smirked as she relaxed on her pillows.

The trio of samurai bowed and returned to Otomo-sama’s residence. They had the mayor arrange a meeting with the Kuwata Family in the morning and then retired to nice beds after a warm meal with the mayor’s family including the petty girl from the opium den, the mayor’s daughter, Sora, and her son Osamu. Hana was glad to rest it had been a long day of traveling and dealing with some of the worst scum she had ever had the pleasure of crossing paths with. She was looking forward to leaving as quickly as she was able.

Vanifae

First Post
Session 4: Seven Devils – Part 4

22nd of the Serpent, 1172 IC, Unaligned Territories

Hana shivered as the rain poured down, Nobutada flanked her and behind her was the ronin and their two ‘prisoners’. She glanced over her shoulder to look at Junko the tea girl that had caused so much trouble and her mountain of a bodyguard, Orochi. Orochi was a powerful looking man of Crab descent, he was a ronin but not much else was known about him. He probably spent time on the Wall, his skin was sallow and gray and there was very little emotion or life left in the man. He was as a corpse in manner, a muscle bound corpse that could destroy lesser warriors with ease. The ronin followed Junko as her bodyguard and had not spoken a word since the young Crane shugenja had met him.

Three days earlier…

The trio of samurai were up early; the accommodations at the mayor’s home were plush and opulent. The servants saw to their needs and Amaya did her best to impress the young samurai with her household and was eager to please. The trio arranged a meeting with Junko for the evening, after talking to some agents from the Kuwata Family. It was a terse affair but hopefully if all went well they would have a face to face meeting with their quarry.

Kohaku decided to track down a few people, mainly the man he saved from execution the day before and the hapless gambler who owed Ryoko-sama money. After some inquiring he found the one armed man, his daughter was taking care of him and she seemed quite grateful for his intercession on his behalf.

Kohaku smiled sitting next to the man’s bed, “You don’t need to thank me; I just couldn’t stand by and watch a man be killed over something as trivial as money. I just hope you won’t go back to that place.”

“Oh I learned my lesson great samurai,” the one armed man replied with a cough, “I will do what I can for my daughter; she deserves a better life then this.”

Kohaku nodded, “Just get well, and do right by her is all I ask.” He stood and left the residence pleased that he had made some small difference in that man’s life. He turned his thoughts to the other man and set to finding this second man.

It was not hard to find the man, he didn’t know his name but he had a good idea of what he looked like, he was across town now and it was midday. He approached the man who was sitting another group gambling on the street.

Kohaku furrowed his brow, “Still gambling?”

The man looked up, he was shock before realization filled his eyes, “Oh my friend, hey guys this is the one I told you about; the good samurai that tried to help me out yesterday!”

Kohaku nodded, “Seems like you didn’t learn much of a lesson, what would your wife or kids say about this if they knew you had a price on your head from Ryoko-sama?”

Another man chortled, “Him, a wife and kids? Oh Hito-san what kind of lies have you been feeding this samurai?”

“What does that mean?” Kohaku scowled.

“It would take a desperate kind of woman to hitch themselves up with Hito-san,” the man replied.

Kohaku punched Hito right in the face knocking him flat, his nose bleeding profusely. The other men stood, but one look at his swords and the ronin’s eyes stayed their hands. Kohaku growled, “I hope she finds you Hito, because I won’t lift a finger to save your sorry ass next time.”

Kohaku stomped away angry at himself and the broken nosed scoundrel.

The trio regrouped and went to the meeting to find Junko, Orochi, and several thugs waiting for them. The monastery was a quiet place, doubly so as the monks made themselves scarce in the presence of the Kuwata Family thugs.

Hana opened the negotiations, “Thank you for meeting us, I assume you know why we are here?”

Junko answered, “I have an idea, but I am not sure it would be in my best interest to go with you back to the Phoenix lands.”

“We have orders from Agasha Kosuke-dono to bring you back to answer for your actions in his province, I would prefer to do that with as little fuss as possible,” Hana replied staying firm.

Nobutada eyed the rather large ronin, Orochi, the man was a full head taller then he and encased in black heavy armor. He wore a daisho at his side and carried a massive tetsubo as his weapon choice. Nobutada surmised that this ronin may have even served time on the Wall, it would account for the taint hat had turned his skin gray and the coldness in his eyes.

Junko glanced at her allies and then to the trio of samurai, “And if I refuse?”

“We will be prepared to do what is needed to bring you back,” Nobutada interjected.

Hana nodded, “I don’t want any bloodshed but if you press this issue this could go badly for you and Kuwata Family, I don’t think either of us wants that.”

Junko thought long and hard for a moment before gesturing for her allies to stand back. She spoke, “Orochi-san will accompany me, I don’t wish to be difficult and if you can assure my safety I will answer your petty lord’s questions. If you cross me Orochi won’t give you much time to regret your betrayal.”

Hana glanced at the massive ronin and then nodded, “Fine, I am glad we could come to an agreement without violence.” Inwardly she sighed with great relief, the presence of the thugs did not trouble her but Orochi was both fearsome and intimidating.

Back in the present in the unaligned territories between the Dragon territories and the Phoenix territories the samurai and their ‘prisoners’ were traveling back to South Border Fortress at a much slower pace, they were unable to find a horse that could support the massive bulk of Orochi, Junko’s silent yojimbo.

In three days the group had not gotten much out of the silent warrior besides a few glances from his cold eyes. Junko was rather forthcoming with information and seemed to delight with toying with other’s thoughts and emotions. If she was remorseful they could not see it, she seemed quite calm even though she was most likely going to certain death or at the very least incarceration for an undetermined time.

[Orochi became something of a favorite for the players I was very surprised by this but it worked out well their interactions with him on the journey would play a huge role in how issues are resolved in the next session. He was a fun character to portray and seemed to go over well with my players! – GM’s note]

Hana was determined to try and get Orochi to open up. After the camp site was set for the day she sat next to him and asked him a few questions. But those were met with silence. Finally she noticed she still had a single puppy from when she freed the dogs back in Seven Devils and offered Orochi a puppy. Surprisingly the massive ronin took it and petted the animal with great care.

Junko was amused and spoke, “Orochi only speaks when he needs to, but I think he likes your gift.”

Hana replied, “What happened to him?”

“He was once a Crab bushi serving on the Wall, from what I have gathered he killed his commander and was denied seppuku. He was banished and made ronin. I only met him in the Phoenix lands, he protects me and I look out for him,” Junko answered while making tea. Once finished she turned to her traveling companions, “Would anyone like some tea?”

Hana refused still not trusting the witch but Nobutada and Kohaku both drank the tea; it was quite delicious. Hana was still curious about why Junko was willing to return with them to the Phoenix lands but she was not overly eager to press the issue.

“So what are you thinking?” Junko asked the Crane shugenja.

“I am not really thinking about anything, actually,” Hana glanced away.

“Why so distant, is something bothering you?” Junko quipped.

“No, I am fine. Why do you have so many questions?” Hana asked.

“I figured I should get to know my executioners,” Junko joked.

“What?” Hana gasped, “I am not your executioner, I am just doing my duty, and you have committed dark sadistic crimes against the Phoenix and the Empire. Don’t play the innocent with me witch!”

“So am I guilty of giving someone knowledge?” Junko questioned, “It’s not like I forced that poor boy to read the scrolls or even act on his dark impulses. I don’t consider myself innocent but I hardly see my actions as damning.”

“Don’t play coy, you knew what would happen,” Hana focused her anger at the tea girl.

“I must be quite the oracle to see what will happen before it comes to pass,” Junko laughed.

Hana rolled over and ignored the laughter. This tea girl, no this witch really knew how to get under her skin. She would be overjoyed when this task was over and she could do something else with hopefully less manipulative company.

The morning came all too soon for the travelers and with it came the heavy rains of a summer storm. The group trudged along in the rain with little shelter or respite from the downpour, the weather slowed down their progress even more. By evening time the trio of samurai were feeling absolutely miserable, Orochi seemed indifferent and Junko reveled in the primal power of the storm.

Hana decided to speak with Orochi once more, “Orochi-san, do you have any family back in the Crab lands? Anyone you were close to?”

Orochi sat for a long moment, his eyes distant before he replied with a single word to Hana, “Daughter.”

Hana furrowed her brow and looked at Kohaku, “Do you think that that means he has a daughter?” Orochi did not offer any more explanation for his answer.

Kohaku shrugged, “Good enough guess I suppose.”

Junko smiled, “What about your family, Hana-san, I assume you have one.”

“Yes,” Hana replied slightly annoyed, “and they are doing quite fine.”

“Why so defensive? You don’t like me do you?” Junko replied smoothly.

“I don’t like how you toy with people,” Hana sniped.

“I toy with those people that allow themselves to be toyed with. Maybe if you were not so weak willed then you wouldn’t feel that way; perhaps if you were more a lion and not so much a mouse?” Junko laughed with a sly grin.

“You don’t know anything about me, witch,” Hana narrowed her eyes.

“I know enough,” Junko shrugged. She poured tea for the others, “But I am glad your family is doing well, losing one’s parents is a terrible thing. I never knew my father and my mother she was a good woman she taught me everything she knew before she died. I have been on my own ever since.”

Hana softened, “I am sorry to hear that, I… I had no idea, what was your mother like?”

“She was gifted like you, she taught me magic and how to speak with the spirits. She taught me many facets of magic and was not afraid to delve into the more misunderstood arts. I was an eager student and I loved my mother deeply. She made me the woman I am today. I took all her lessons to heart, then I killed her learning my final lesson,” Junko smiled a deadly gleam in her eyes.

Hana gasped, “You what?”

“I murdered my mother,” Junko replied casually.

“I thought you said you loved her?” Hana spoke the words harshly unsure of what to make of this woman.

“I did.”

Hana groaned and went to bed her mood even fouler than the weather. Another day of misery followed as the samurai trudged through the rain and bad weather. Junko’s words repeated in Hana’s mind all day, the sweet smile on the tea girl’s lips belied the evil that must have lurked just beneath the smile.

Hana sat down next to Orochi hoping to continue the ‘conversation’ she started on the day before. She smiled and gestured at the puppy the Crab ronin was gently stroking, “So does the puppy have a name yet?”

Orochi turned to her and gave her a long stare before replying in his deep gravelly voice, “Etsuko.”

Hana tried to draw more out of the ronin but he was done speaking for the day. She glanced at Junko and decided to spare herself any more torment and just went to bed. Hopefully the next day would being something better to brighten her mood.

The weather had relented and the rain became sporadic showers throughout the day. It was a relief for the travelers even if only a minor respite. By Kohaku’s reckoning they should reach the fortress by morning, he was glad to be nearly done with this task. He was not as personally vested in the actions of this woman and was just glad he was earning a decent wage for the first time in a long while. It was a better day but not by much, Orochi was still tight lipped but seemed to be more open to the samurai then we had begun this journey. By morning the fortress was in sight and soon this adventure would be over.

Junko smiled the real fun was soon about to begin.

[The next session takes place over a single day and night, and is pretty intense and much of this session is laying the ground work for what happens in that session. Overall this was a fun if meandering session that was sort of off the cuff since I had less players then I expected. – GM’s note]

Vanifae

First Post
Couple of Letters for Session 4 & Session 5

Letter to Mayako from Sukime, delivered by Kohaku:

Dear Mayoko-chan,

Hey it’s Sukime and I am having a great and scary adventure! I got to see a bunch of the country side and we got attacked by bandits and I met my future husband! Okay first I miss you, it’s kind of lonely out here but the nice guards daddy sent with me have been very nice, they give me treats and tell me nice stories. But now most of them are dead, that makes me sad. Kani-chan says we will get new guards soon, but it makes me sad.

We got attacked by bandits and I killed two of them like a real samurai! I was really scared but Kani-chan and I won and then we met this ronin, his name is Kohaku-kun. He is really nice and plays music and drinks lots of sake. I told him to deliver this letter so he better not be peeking at it, he promised!

Bad Kohaku if you are reading this!

Anyway Kohaku was kind of smelly I guess he travels around a bunch because he is a ronin. But he seemed very nice and strong, so I decided he will be my husband when I am done training and we will be the strongest samurai together! He better keep his promise or I am going to hit him so hard! Also I saw a bear and a deer once. I like bears they are big.

Oh tell daddy I miss him and tell mommy I miss her too. I will see you soon I have to go now, I’m going to send this with Kohaku-kun and he will deliver it to you! Oh and tell Shiatari-chan that I am going to be strong like her!

Your little awesome sister,

Sukime

PS – I love my big sister.

Letter from Junko to Mayako, also deleivered by Kohaku:

I know you are looking for me.

You really shouldn’t, Mayako.

It will not end well for you.

If you find me, death will follow.

- Junko

Vanifae

First Post
Session 5: Waking Nightmares – Part 1

25th of the Serpent, South Border Fortress

Mayako was busier than usual; her recent promotion to the position of Provincial Magistrate brought a great deal of responsibility and paperwork. Her father had been helpful in the appointment but it still meant late night pouring through boring scrolls on proper court behavior, proper adjudication of law, and all the minutiae that comes with running and overseeing a province. It did not help that she was distracted by a great many other personal issues on her mind; the recent arrival of the new Unicorn samurai, her allies who were off tracking down Junko, and Takeshi. Mayako smiled at the last thought which caused her to lose her place in the scroll she was trying to read about the proper tax retrieval procedures for the province.

“It is only right and proper that you focus on your studies,” the spectral voice chided her.

“Not now,” she waved off the ghostly entity, “I am going to take a break. I have been at this for hours; it can wait a little longer.”

The phantom of her ancestor sighed and faded from sight as the young Phoenix shugenja walked the halls of South Border Fortress. A far cry from the palatial estate of her youth, but still retained a slight sense of home. She paused on a second floor balcony to look at the courtyard, below Phoenix soldiers trained and did drills and went about their daily duties. She noticed the Unicorn samurai tending to her magnificent Utaku steed; it was a majestic beast far larger than the ponies that the Phoenix cavalry could field. The bushi was surely an Utaku battle maiden, fierce and beautiful though the name escaped her for the moment. She was sure the chamberlain had given her the name but she could not remember it for the life of her.

[This is Utaku Haruka, newest player in the group. A long standing joke is that no one can remember her name. So I decided to bring that into this. – GM’s note]

Haruka gently combed the mane of her long time friend and companion. It was her only friend in this strange place. But at least she was far away from her husband, but she was also separated from her true love. The memory brought a pang of guilt and anger but she would do her duty for the clan, the Unicorn sought to strengthen ties with the Phoenix and Daimyo Agasha Kosuke was a powerful figure within the Phoenix. She had not actually met him in person but only seen him in passing, he seemed a gentle man but whose presence was overpowering. He held great esteem and respect from these men.

There was a cry from the main gates, riders were approaching. Haruka was intrigued and effortlessly mounted her companion. The riders rode through the gate four strong with one large man on foot, they were an odd mix. The lead horse bore a woman of Crane descent, Haruka thought and she didn’t carry herself like a warrior. The second two riders were both warriors, one carried the Seppun mon the other looked to be a ronin by his lack of identification. The final rider was another woman but who lacked the regal and refined air that personified the Crane samurai. She was perhaps a peasant or this witch she had heard rumors about. The final traveler was a cold looking giant garbed in black armor and armed with many deadly weapons. This man had the look of blood and battle, Haruka reflexively rested her hand on her blade, just in case.

Haruka watched as the imposing bushi and the peasant woman were taken to custody. Neither seemed to resist which made her raise a brow. A shiver went down her spine, it seemed like the peasant girl was smiling.

Mayako rushed down and greeted her friends, “I am glad you made it back safely, did you have any trouble?”

Hana smiled, “It was nothing we could not handle. Junko did not resist which worries me. You should be careful while you are questioning her.”

“Trust me that witch will get everything she deserves,” Mayako hissed.

“If you don’t need me I am going to put my things away,” Kohaku addressed Hana.

Hana nodded, and then turned to Mayako, “What will happen to Orochi-san, the bushi, I… I am just wondering?”

“If he is involved with whatever she has done he will share the same fate, why?” Mayako asked.

“Of course, nothing, I was just wondering,” Hana replied. She bowed, “I am going to get some rest I am exhausted. When you speak with Junko I would like to be there.”

“Of course,” the Phoenix shugenja returned the bow. She watched her allies and cousin go and then glanced after where the soldiers took Junko. She sighed; interrogating the witch could wait, at least for a moment. She returned to walking but was interrupted by the one person she had been trying to avoid, well not out right but his presence was not a comforting one.

Gouda smiled and bowed, the stretched and marred skin on his face making the smile all the more disconcerting, “Greetings, Lady Mayako-sama, congratulations on your promotion. A well earned distinction to be sure, I am sure you will do your father proud.”

Mayako gasped audibly, “Gouda-san, I… thank you.”

“I hope I have not disturbed you, I had been meaning to speak with you,” Gouda continued with a disconcerting smile.

Haruka lingered at the end of the hall hearing the conversation and stayed hidden for the moment.

“About?” Mayako replied nervously.

“Well I am sure you are aware that I have served your father since you were young and you have blossomed into quite the woman. I daresay you have your father’s determination and the beauty of your mother. Your promotion as well comes with great delight to many, none more so than myself. I wish to make my intentions known to your father that I seek your hand, you would make a most beautiful Phoenix bride,” Gouda gestured, his eyes admiring her form.

Mayako gulped, “I… what… you… what?”

Haruka seeing the conversation take a turn for the worse, makes her presence known. She gently interrupts with a bow, “Agasha-san, oh here you are, I had been meaning to speak with you.”

Mayako glanced at the Unicorn bushi, “I… oh… Hakura-san?”

“Haruka, Utaku Haruka,” Haruka gently corrected the magistrate.

“I hope I have not shocked you,” Gouda continued glancing at Haruka.

“No, well yes, I am flattered. It’s just that…” Mayako searched for an excuse.

“Well she already has a betrothed, young Suzume Takeshi-dono already made his intentions known, did he not milady?” Haruka added.

“Oh? I had not heard anything about that,” Gouda replied his smile vanishing.

“Oh it’s all happened so fast that we have yet to make a formal announcement, but yes what Haruka-san said is true, I am already betrothed to my beloved… Takeshi-san,” Mayako smiled weakly.

“Well then blessings be to both of you, I can only hope that such an auspicious event will not be marred by any unsightly surprises, I shall speak with your father you should have the wedding here,” Gouda replied with a coy grin.

“No need Gouda-san, I still have to make all the details I would be greatly appreciative if we could keep this a secret for now, until we can make the official announcement,” Mayako bowed, her mind racing at the turn of events.

Gouda bowed, “Of course as is your will. Takeshi-dono is a lucky man may he live in interesting times.” Gouda turned on his heels and left.

Mayako glanced to Haruka, “Thank you… though now… well just thank you.”

Haruka grinned, “I am just glad I could help.”

[And that is how Mayako and Takeshi became engaged, of course poor Takeshi does not know he is engaged just a minor small detail. – GM’s note]

Remove ads