D&D 5E Legendary Item Creation

My view on legendary items:
Say that you are playing a modern day RPG and your players say that they want to build an Aircraft Carrier, like USS Nimitz, all by themselves. You would say that's impossible.

Err, depending on the power level, I'd say: easy, just buy the company making them. If you're level 17+ to make legendary item, you're basically at Tony Stark level... The problem with the rules over coworking over a magic item is that I assumed that every member of the team had to be that level, so it's not like one could divide the work between thousands of assistants.

Something to consider. Some high level casters can create pocket dimensions. The creator can decide how fast or slow time passes in their dimension. A fellow PC, in a campaign that reached very high levels, was a witch with high level crafting. He was essentially immortal due to a slight case of vampirism. He created a pocket dimension where a year passed for every hour in the outside world. He used it to create wondrous items in just a couple days game downtime.

Drat, ninja'ed. I wanted to add that at that level, it's quite feasible to planeshift. Getting to a place with 10x passing time relative to the prime material plane can have a team of heroes create a legendary item during a regular downtime. Or make a deal with an archfey so you can spend a century in the Feywild and discover that only a week has passed in your original plane...

aco175

Legend
I use them for plot. A PC want to build the McGuffin of Ultimate Death, then he needs to quest for XYZ which may take a few levels to get all the crap together and then find the master smith ABC who disappeared 30 years ago. There is also a part about getting the rest of the PCs to go along with you, but that is the player's deal.

Remove ads