D&D 1E Leif's AD&D 1E Recruiting Thread

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Bonus XP
Don't forget to add 10% to your XP, if you qualify for the bonus for having a prime requisite over 15.

Oh shoot. I only figured in the 10% once and then divided by 2...but qualify for 10% as a Fighter and as Cleric...should I have added it in twice? Or split the initial amount and then added in 10% separately? Does it matter, either way? [Mathematically impaired, remember? ;) ]

Leif

Adventurer
And by the way, i just get my hands in the 1983 Greyhawk boxed set. a shame that there is so little information in the 180 page book describing the scenario. i can't decide where my character grew up this way. :( any ideas where a MU could have been trained in the Flanaess?
A Magic-User could have been trained virtually anywhere in the Flaeness that you wish. Elvish MUs are probably most often schooled in Highfolk. Human urban MUs are most likely schooled in Greyhawk or one of the larger cities of Nyrond or Furyondy. But competent MUs are doubtless to be found in any and every corner of the Flaeness -- a mage seeminly could be luking behind almost every bush in every principality, county, and duchy.

Leif

Adventurer
Oh shoot. I only figured in the 10% once and then divided by 2...but qualify for 10% as a Fighter and as Cleric...should I have added it in twice? Or split the initial amount and then added in 10% separately? Does it matter, either way? [Mathematically impaired, remember? ;) ]
If you get the bonus for both classes, then adding 10% to the total and dividing by two gives the same result ans dividing by 2 and adding 10% to each half. But to be safe, it's probably a good idea to get in the habit of dividing by 2 first and then adding 10% for the classes that qualify for the bonus. ;)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
And I don't like entrusting the characters' magic equipment to the vagaries of the dice. That can and probably will result in a very uneven distribution across the party, which is not a good thing. So, I'll be passing out magic items at a later time, after I see how the party shapes up.
That's cool. There is not much use for Appendix P though, if you go that route. Maybe you could suggest a larger equipment list and a roll or set amount for GP then? I'm fine with the standard starting amounts, but it's up to you.

Also, I've always thought of treasure distribution as a part of game play - a diplomacy engagement between players. There is advice for that stuff to players in some books and modules, but I see it more as strategic advice than rules on how to play or anything to do with balance. IOW, sometimes an uneven distribution is exactly what the group of players wants for the situation at hand.

Mallus

Legend
Oban v.2.0

Oban Isla, of the Mountain Fastness of Iron Isla
Ftr 3rd/Thf 4th
XP: 7,535/7,535
Mountain Dwarf, male
True Neutral w/Good tendencies.

STR: 18/77 + 2 to hit, +4 to damage, weight +1500gp, Open Doors: 1-4, Bend Bars: %25
INT: 11 +2 possible add. languages
WIS: 9
DEX: 17 +2 reaction/missile, -3 AC
CON: 16 +2 HP, System Shock: 95%, Resurrection Survival: 96%
CHR: 9 (8) 3 henchmen max, -5% loyalty base (only if non-Dwarven)

HP: 26
1d10=2, 1d10=10
1d6=2, 1d6=5, 1d6=1

AC: 4 (shieldless 5, rear 8)
Move: 12'

Armor: leather and light buckler
Weapons: hand axe, spear, hammer, light crossbow.

Saving Throws
Paralyzation/Posion/Death Magic: 13
Petrification/Polymorph: 12
Rod/Wand/Staff: 14
Breath Weapon: 16
Spells: 15
+4 to saves vs. poison, rod/wand/staff, spells

Thief Skills
Pick Pockets: 50%
Open Locks: 57%
Find/Remove Traps: 50%
Move Silently: 38%
Hide in Shadows: 30%
Hear Noise: 15%
Climb Walls: 78%
Read Languages: 15%

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
That's cool. There is not much use for Appendix P though, if you go that route. Maybe you could suggest a larger equipment list and a roll or set amount for GP then? I'm fine with the standard starting amounts, but it's up to you.

Also, I've always thought of treasure distribution as a part of game play - a diplomacy engagement between players. There is advice for that stuff to players in some books and modules, but I see it more as strategic advice than rules on how to play or anything to do with balance. IOW, sometimes an uneven distribution is exactly what the group of players wants for the situation at hand.
There is no money for Appendix P characters -- it is assumed that they have whatever mundane equipment that they wish. Magic items are the domain of the DM [me]. Your characters will have probably less than 25 gp in addition to that. You need some motivation to go adventuring again, after all.

wolfattack

First Post
Bonus XP
Don't forget to add 10% to your XP, if you qualify for the bonus for having a prime requisite over 15.

Spells
You roll starting spells according to the chart on p 39 of the DM Guide, starting with Read Magic as the first spell in his book. Then you roll one additional spell of the highest level your PC can cast for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th levels, rolling 1-40 on the First Level spell list in the Players Handbook (1D10 AND 1D4), and 1-24 for his two second level spells at 3rd and 4th level (1d12, 1d6). So all together you will have Read Magic plus one offensive, one defensive, and one miscellaneous first level spells at the start, plus one more 1st level spell for 2nd character level, one 2nd level spell for 3rd character level, and one final 2nd level spell for 4th character level. That gives your character a total of 5 first and 2 second level spells. This could give you a pretty random and useless selection of spells, but do it this way and see what you get. It could also give you a fantastic selection of spells. I'll make any adjustments that need to be made, so don't worry too much if you get sorry rolls. You can also try to start out with some scrolls, following the probabilities given in Appendix P of the DM Guide. Any scrolls that you have at the start can be used to copy the spell into your spellbook, but if you do that you will use up the scroll, of course.

Hit Points
Max at first level + Con bonus, if any, then roll for levels 2, 3, and 4, again adding any Con bonus that you are entitled to receive.

I Already rolled my know spells for a first level character before you decided to make us a 4th level party. what i need to know is how i roll spells for the subsequent levels. Can i choose a spell from the appropriate level list and roll my % chance to know that spell?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin Ludoliv, Prestidigitator
Magic-User – Level 4
Human

STR 10 ( 1-2 Open Doors, 2% Bend Bars/Lift Gates)
INT 17 (6 Additional languages, 75% Chance to know listed spell, 8/14 Minimum/Maximum Spells per level )
WIS 15 (+1 Magical attack adjustment)
DEX 14
CON 15 (+1 HP, 91% System Shock Survival, 94% Resurrection Survival)
CHA 12 (5 Henchmen max)

Hit Points: 14
Armor Class: 10
Move:

Saving Throws
14 Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic
13 Petrification or Polymorph
11 Rod, Staff, or Wand
15 Breath Weapon
12 Spell

Spellbook: Lvl 1 - Read Magic, Enlarge, Affect Normal Fires, Mending
Lvl 2 - Mirror Image

Languages: Common, Elvish, Goblin, Hafling, Orcish
Secondary Skill:
Gold Pieces: 27
Silver Pieces: 15

Equipment:
2 g.p – Dagger
2 g.p - Leather Backpack
5 s.p - Candle Wax x5
1 g.p - Flask of Oil
7 g.p - Hooded Lantern

XP:15.070

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HD rolls:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3917738

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Spells for Levels Above First

I may have said previously that you should roll for them, but this is incorrect. When a magic-user attains a level above First, he is entitled to choose one spell to add to his spellbook of any level that he can cast at his new level. The new spell is not randomly determined but chosen by the PC, and no "% to know spell" roll is required for a spell gained due to level advancement.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Spells for Level Advancement

Just to be crystal clear, wolfattack, you would have rolled for your spells at 1st level and then done the following: chosen another first level spell when you advanced to second character level, chosen a second level spell when you advanced to third character level, and chosen another second level spell when you advanced to fourth character level.

Remove ads