Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game, Recruiting Thread

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, I thought you had told me before that it was about right. (Or did I say 160-180 before?) What, then, would be closer to my stated goal? 200? 220?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everybody hold fast on the 150 character points whilst I consult with our Resident Expert!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leif

Adventurer
I have very little to offer in the way of input for character backgrounds. Shayuri, Insight, and any other more Taveller-experienced players that we have are asked to please assist any of the others who may need a nudge or three. I'd be first in line for a good nudging if I wasn't GM! :p

Shayuri

First Post
Given that we're going lite-to-no disads, 210 is good. Reasoning follows:

Standard "novice" starting character is 100pts.

An advanced non-super character is 300-350pts. This buys a highly skilled character who is elite at whatever they do. In the military, you're Spec-Ops. If you're a merchant, you live in Rekjavik, selling freezers and making a mint.

So it seems reasonable to say that 200ish points represents a midway point between those.

As for nudges, I'm always happy to help. With the caveat that everyone's take on the Traveller universe is somewhat unique to them, I consider myself knowledgeable in the core concepts of the game setting.

For example, our good doctor. I expect he is probably an expatriate of either the Imperium, or the Consulate...either works fine. He now works aboard a ship in the Vargr Extents, because there's basically no interstellar law in force there, giving him a free hand to experiment how he pleases, and develop what he wants.

Insight

Adventurer
How are we going to handle disads and quirks, then? I'm taking some no matter what, even if I don't any points at all.

Leif

Adventurer
Given that we're going lite-to-no disads, 210 is good. As for nudges, I'm always happy to help. With the caveat that everyone's take on the Traveller universe is somewhat unique to them, I consider myself knowledgeable in the core concepts of the game setting.

[sblock=Our Doctor]For example, our good doctor. I expect he is probably an expatriate of either the Imperium, or the Consulate...either works fine. He now works aboard a ship in the Vargr Extents, because there's basically no interstellar law in force there, giving him a free hand to experiment how he pleases, and develop what he wants.[/sblock]
That's EXCELLENT, thanks! I may not need as much nudging as I fear that I might. It's gradually coming back to me, Traveller, that is. I've never done GURPS before, but I've been reading some and it doesn't seem all that tough. Now I gotta take on the ship-to-ship combat section!
He'll be human who knows "alien" physiology. Is that OK?
Hey, if you like it, then it just tickles the pi** out of me! I only said what I did because you were talking about being in Zho space, or something. I gotcha now, though -- our good Dr. Frankenstein uh Strangelove hmmm, in Vargr territory, so Dr. Saw-wolf?? Anyway, I get the feeling he might be a wee bit on the lam from the Imperium? Or for whatever reason he's left to pursue his science in ummm a less restrictive environment? Am I sorta pretty close yet?
How are we going to handle disads and quirks, then? I'm taking some no matter what, even if I don't any points at all.
Take all the quirks you want. Please try to hold yourself to disads with a value of 5-10 cp? I'm really not looking to have a Captain Pike here.

Insight

Adventurer
Hey, if you like it, then it just tickles the pi** out of me! I only said what I did because you were talking about being in Zho space, or something. I gotcha now, though -- our good Dr. Frankenstein uh Strangelove hmmm, in Vargr territory, so Dr. Saw-wolf?? Anyway, I get the feeling he might be a wee bit on the lam from the Imperium? Or for whatever reason he's left to pursue his science in ummm a less restrictive environment? Am I sorta pretty close yet?

Yes. They just don't understand!

[sblock]My concept is that Doc is some sort of genius/lunatic when it comes to medicine, cybernetics, and biotech and went way off the deep end while in the Imperium. His experiments and surgeries got the attention of the wrong sort of people and he was basically told to leave and not come back. Some people still consider him a misunderstood genius, but he doesn't run into those people too often anymore.[/sblock]

Take all the quirks you want. Please try to hold yourself to disads with a value of 5-10 cp? I'm really not looking to have a Captain Pike here.

I'll take 10pts of disads and some quirks and maybe some more disads for no points. I have a good character concept in mind and I don't really care about the points. Kinda wierd LOL

Remove ads