• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
Rathmore the Scribe

"Excellent, though I hope that the 'clink' you hear will be gold instead of silver. I have heard some rumors around the gin mill lately, if you men are ready to get started? This actually concerns the little farming community about ten miles southwest of Briarwood. Seems they've been seeing some very large footprints around their barnyards, and they've been losing some cattle, too. These folk can't afford to lose cattle that are their source of livelihood. They have no inn there, but their hospitality is remarkable, and they would surely be grateful if you could see fit to grease their palms with a few silver."

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"10 miles is a decent trek and the sun does not wait for any mortal. [OOC: What is it, about noon time by now?/OOC] Shall we, gentlemen?" Shiyana says as she rises from the table. "Our thanks, Master Rathmore. We shall return to you with news and tales of our efforts as soon as we are able and, hopefully, after lending whatever aid we may to the villagers.

"Large footprints you say? Camlin, what do you think?"
the druidess asks the ranger.

OOC: I know AD&D doesn't have "skills" per se, but is there some kind of local knowledge/intelligence check (or, I suppose, 10 miles is a bit further than "local" for Greyhawk?) or something that might lead us to believe if there are/should be ogres or giants in the environs Rathmore described?

Leif

Adventurer
Talking to Rathmore the Scribe

OOC: The approximation in AD&D is an intelligence check, either rolled with a d20, or (as I have just learned) rolled with 3d6, and in either case seeking to roll equal to or less than the character's intelligence score. But in this case, no check is necessary -- I'm ruling that Camlin, Shiyana, and Turthain have all heard of these events through their respective grapevines, they just hadn't heard exactly where it was happening. (Poor Odo!)

Imperialus

Explorer
"Probably ogres. Sounds like their behavior, the foul brutes."

Cam seems to perk up at the description of the job Rathmore has in mind. In fact he starts talking so fast his sentences begin to run together. That'd be my guess too. Giants tend to be too aggressive, they'd have just flattened the town and taken what they want before moving on. Ogres have a bit more cunning about them, lay low during the day, bash around at night, especially if it's a small group. I wonder how many there are? Of course I'd have to see the tracks to be sure... I wonder what they're doing so close to civilization? I mean don't get me wrong they're nasty brutes at the best of times who smash things up for kicks but they're cowards at heart and banditry this close to a big city is almost sure to get some sort of a reply and even something dumb as an ogre knows that. I wonder if there are orcs or gobbos among them? Often are, but that usually means some sort of orc chieftain who's tough enough to intimidate an ogre. Or the other way around, I suppose but ogres tend to be too dumb to do much once they get a position of power, just sit in a cave and make their servants bring em food and stuff.

As he continues rambling about the ecology and habits of ogres Cam stands up and begins walking towards the door. His hand is on the doorknob when he realizes he forgot something.

Oh, and thank you for giving us an excuse to leave the city sir... No offense but... well... it kinda smells here.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Taking your Leave of Rathmore the Scribe

Oh, and thank you for giving us an excuse to leave the city sir... No offense but... well... it kinda smells here.
Rathmore just shrugs and says, "Ahh. You get used to it."

And a rustic town covered in manure is better? Odo states with a half-cocked smile. Shall we leave on the morrow or would it be better to head out there tonight?
OOC: Precisely what I was wondering!

Leif

Adventurer
Leaving Briarwood

OOC: I'm not for waiting while we have a vote wbout whether to go now or not. So..... Cam heads out, and until told otherwise, I'll assume the rest follow.

IC: The band of adventurers heads to the southwest of Briarwood. After just over ten miles you see a wooden sign that reads, 'Redding Flat Pop. 28.' Dusk is settling over the countryside as you approach the outskirts of the village.

OOC: I should probably warn you about how I'm going to figure experience points for the coming action against the ogres -- your award will shrink for each civilian who falls victim to the ogres. Similarly, you will receive a bonus for each civilian who survives, with a significant boost if there is 100% survival. Good fortune to all!

Last edited:

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
IC: The band of adventurers heads to the southwest of Briarwood. After just over ten miles you see a wooden sign that reads, 'Redding Flat Pop. 28.' Dusk is settling over the countryside as you approach the outskirts of the village.

How quaint!

OOC: I should probably warn you about how I'm going to figure experience points for the coming action against the ogres -- your award will shrink for each civilian who falls victime to the ogres. Similarly, you will receive a bonus for each civilian who survives, with a significant boost if there is 100% survival. Good fortune to all!

OOC: Oddly enough, I have done something similar while running an ogre encounter in a 3rd Edition game I DMed! I am cool with that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads