D&D General Len Lakofka passed?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
People expect old men to die,
They do not really mourn old men.
Old men are different. People look
At them with eyes that wonder when…
People watch with unshocked eyes;
But the old men know when an old man dies.
--Ogden Nash

I'm at that strange age where I'm not part of the old guard but old enough that the old guard were the guys still running things and serving as docents to TTRPGs and adjacent hobbies.

As this old guard continues to pass away, the impact is not the same for newer players who may learn about and note the passing of these pioneers. For those of us for whom these guys were a second family in our formative years, cool uncles we never had who "got" us, the impact is stronger.

It is very important to me that we continue collecting not just the written artifacts from these early pioneers of the hobby, but continue to interview them and record their stories before they've all passed away. It's why I've backed the recent Kickstarter documentaries "Secrets of Blackmoor", "The Dreams in Gary's Basement", and "Eye of the Beholder: the Art of Dungeons & Dragons".

I would love for a high-quality documentary on TTRPGs to be made that goes into overall history of the game, that highlights more of the pioneers. While Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson deserve the documentaries made about them--and more--here are so many other interesting people who were critical to the early hobby, whose stories also deserve to be preserved.

R_J_K75

Legend
It's why I've backed the recent Kickstarter documentaries "Secrets of Blackmoor", "The Dreams in Gary's Basement", and "Eye of the Beholder: the Art of Dungeons & Dragons".
Ive seen Secrets of Blackmoor, and Eye of the Beholder but I hadnt heard about "The Dreams in Gary's Basement" Just watched the trailer, looks good. The original delivery looks like it was April 2019, but its still available for pre-order on KS. Any idea when it's going to be released?
I would love for a high-quality documentary on TTRPGs to be made that goes into overall history of the game, that highlights more of the pioneers. While Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson deserve the documentaries made about them--and more--here are so many other interesting people who were critical to the early hobby, whose stories also deserve to be preserved.
Someone like Peter Jackson, Rob Howard or Ken Burns to do a comprehensive, (well as comprehensive as they could) regarding D&D and other TTRPGs would be awesome, but unfortunately I bet thats wishful thinking.

Sigh...as a backer of said Kickstarter, no. The creators don't appear to, either. They continue to make snail's progress, and are still nowhere near "done," way past their original due date.

Ive seen Secrets of Blackmoor, and Eye of the Beholder but I hadnt heard about "The Dreams in Gary's Basement" Just watched the trailer, looks good. The original delivery looks like it was April 2019, but its still available for pre-order on KS. Any idea when it's going to be released?

Remove ads