• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lesser Globe of Invulnerability Question

Jhulae

First Post
I'd really like someone who has a good grasp of the rules (Hyp, I'm glancing in your direction :cool: ) help with a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability (LGoI) question.

According to the RAW, LGoI 'suppresses magical effects' inside of it.

So, lets say I decide to cast Stinking Cloud with it's center at the center of the LGoI. Does it

1) Go off, ignoring everyone inside the LGoI (10' radius) and effect everything else between 10' and 20' radius, or

2) Not go off at all.

According to the RAW, it seems 1 is the likely answer, as LGoI acts like a globe of 'super spell resistence', not like an Antimagic zone. (Also supporting this is the fact spells can be cast through or out of it).

Anyway, help would be appreciated.

Felix

Explorer
SRD said:
An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 3rd level or lower. The area or effect of any such spells does not include the area of the lesser globe of invulnerability. Such spells fail to affect any target located within the globe.

Note that spell effects are not disrupted unless their effects enter the globe, and even then they are merely suppressed, not dispelled.
These, I think, are the two relevant selections from the whole text.

1. Assume: caster is outside of the Globe.

The Stinking Cloud has not been dispelled, it is merely the case that its area of effect does not include those within the Globe. In which case you have:

"1) Go off, ignoring everyone inside the LGoI (10' radius) and effect everything else between 10' and 20' radius​

So you'd have a Stinking Ring, which is a disgusting thought. ;)
2. Assume: caster is within the Globe at casting.

It is arguable that because the spell does not pass from without of to within the area of the globe, but rather was cast inside, the spell never enters the Globe. In which case:

"spell effects are not disrupted unless their effects enter the globe"​

So you'd have a fully-functioning Stinking Cloud.​

The Globe never does make a spell fizzle; spells are always successfully cast, though they fail to affect those inside.

Remove ads