lesser-known archfiends

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hi. :) this is a future project for the creature catalog. i know that people have been itching to have me get to these... and i want to give them what they want. ;)

the BoVD and ToH have already covered all of the better-known archfiends, from the 1E MM and MM2. i'm looking to hit up the lesser known ones that have thus far been dealt with little or at all.

so, have a look at all your 1E & 2E notes for all the unique demon(tanar'ri) and devil(baatezu) lords you can find. (i'll cover the lords of other races at a later time.) i don't mean "this specific pitfiend" (unless, of course, it has special powers and such that others of its kind don't have) but rather guys of orcus or dispater's stature, or lesser lords.

here is a list of what i have so far; see what you can add to it.

Already in the Creature Catalog (in 3.0), we have:
Demon (Miska the Wolf-Spider)
Demon (Queen of Chaos)
Demon Lord (Zuggtmoy)
Devil (Duke Alastor)
Devil (Duke Baalberith)
Devil (Duke Baalzephon)
Devil (Duke Caarcrinolaas)
Devil (Duke Focalor)
Devil (Duke Melchon)
Devil (Duke Zimmimar)
Devil (Princess of Hell- Baalphegor)
Devil (Princess of Hell- Glasya)
Devil: Selm (Prince of the Possessors)

Besides that there are, for starters:
Bitru (a Gygax devil lord from Dragon 75 that never made it into the MM2)
Amduscias, Malphas, Nergal, Bist, Caim, Lilis, Arioch, Biffant, Merodach, Alocer, Naome, Chamo, Balan, Bathym, Gaziel, Cozbi, Gorson, Herodias, Agares, Machalas, (from Dragon 75, by Ed Greenwood)
Lilith, Tartach, Bileth, Baftis, Neabaz, Barbatos, Abigor, Zepar, Bele, Adonides, Barbas, Bifrons, Bensozia, Adramalech, Phongor, Buer, Bune, Morax, Rimmon, Zagum (from Dragon 76, by Ed Greenwood)
Armaros, Azazel, Cahor, Dagon, Duskur, Kochibel, Malarea, Nisroch, Rumjal, Gargoth (From Dragon 91, by Ed Greenwood – although Gargoth appeared in the 2nd edition as Gargauth, a demigod)

Eltab (Spellbound boxed set)

i remember a couple of other lords from Forgotten Realms products, but not sure where... Camazotz, i think, and i could swear there was a spider an/or snake one...

Garnfellow

Explorer
Hey, Boz!

This sounds pretty cool. I think I may have forgotten to post a notice over on the Creature Catalog forums, but I've done my own conversions on Dispater's minions and posted the results in my Rogues Gallery Thread:

I'll be glad to share my conversion notes.

I also have some notes on some super-obscure demon princes from Gygax's Gord novels, like Mandrillagon, brother to Demogorgon, or Marduk the Fire Demon. I always wanted to flesh those guys out but have never got around to it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Amon the Wolf, who serves Geryon, was given 1E stats somewhere...I don't recall where, but his 2E conversion was in A Paladin in Hell, along with Cozbinaer (Cozbi's full name).

Also, Sfena, the daughter of Glasya, is given abbreviated 2E stats on page 122 of Cloak & Dagger.

Last edited:

Azul

First Post
A WotC 3.0e version of Glasya is in the BoVD on page 168. Martinet is on the same page. I'm not sure how many more of these lesser arch-fiends are floating around as simple stat blocks (rather than full monster entries).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i also seem to remember a demon lord of yuan-ti from a Dragon mag... circa before issue #200? more details than that escape me, though.

Sunderstone

First Post
Isnt the city, Eltabbar, in Thay named after the Demon Eltab who assisted in the Thayvian independance split from Mulhorand? Does "The Unapproachable East" have a write up on him? I never really looked and the book is buried right now. :)

Remove ads