D&D 5E Let 'em live or die?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You can have a situation with no PC deaths that results in an irreversible defeat for the PCs.
Name one (other than the DM/ table quitting that is...).

IMO there is always a story element that will allow the adventure to continue if the DM wants it to. Heck, thinking of it that way, even death doesn't need to be the end... the DM could have the PCs "adventure" in the outer planes (or wherever you have them end up...).

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Name one.
PCs fail to stop an incursion of something inimical to normal life on the world--it could be demons or star spawn or whatever. The world gets overrun with those whatevers, and cities--kingdoms or empires if you have them--are destroyed. Billions die.

But the PCs survive, because they can get to some other plane that offers at least momentary respite.

The world as the PCs knew it is gone--even if they destroy the destroyers--and it's the direct result of their failure.

That took me longer to type than to think of.

G

Guest 6801328

PCs fail to stop an incursion of something inimical to normal life on the world--it could be demons or star spawn or whatever. The world gets overrun with those whatevers, and cities--kingdoms or empires if you have them--are destroyed. Billions die.

But the PCs survive, because they can get to some other plane that offers at least momentary respite.

The world as the PCs knew it is gone--even if they destroy the destroyers--and it's the direct result of their failure.

Yes. And it's easy to think of LOTS of similar scenarios where the players simply fail to achieve the goal of the adventure, with the result that something terrible happens that cannot be undone.

I was very narrowly trying to turn a PC death into an "irreversible defeat" that didn't involve the player staying dead, as simply as possible.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

PCs eventually return, defeat the invading force, and restore balance. Perhaps the adventure even involves them finding a way to reverse time before the billions die.

Again, the adventure continues. Try again if you want.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Yes. And it's easy to think of LOTS of similar scenarios where the players simply fail to achieve the goal of the adventure, with the result that something terrible happens that cannot be undone.

I was very narrowly trying to turn a PC death into an "irreversible defeat" that didn't involve the player staying dead, as simply as possible.
I don't think we're disagreeing, even if the timing of my post/s relative to yours made it seem so.

Remove ads