• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Let us stat up Conan the *insert sub-title here*

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Would you say he was frothing at the mouth?

Hard to say. Conan is describing it to his shipmates after it occurred. Here is the text:

"But I choked my ire and held my peace, and the judge squalled that I had shown contempt for the court, and that I should be hurled into a dungeon to rot until I betrayed my friend. So then, seeing they were all mad, I drew my sword and cleft the judge's skull; then I cut my way out of the court, and seeing the high constable's stallion tied near by, I rode for the wharfs, where I thought to find a ship bound for foreign parts."

What do you think?

Slit518

Adventurer
Hard to say. Conan is describing it to his shipmates after it occurred. Here is the text:

"But I choked my ire and held my peace, and the judge squalled that I had shown contempt for the court, and that I should be hurled into a dungeon to rot until I betrayed my friend. So then, seeing they were all mad, I drew my sword and cleft the judge's skull; then I cut my way out of the court, and seeing the high constable's stallion tied near by, I rode for the wharfs, where I thought to find a ship bound for foreign parts."

What do you think?

In this instance, I would say not. He was probably just a quick 1-2, and then out.

Read Conan and you find that rage is a very uncommon item for him. Most of the time when faced with heavy odds Conan doe what is best tactically. He will put his back to a wall if he can and if he cannot he dives among them to cause chaos and in the hopes that they will interfere with each other. Once either of these happens the fights are described as Conan grimly fighting on his main goal being to take down as many of his foes as he can before he falls. The end result almost always being him outlasting his foes or something interceding and giving Conan a chance to survive.
It almost sounds like you're referring to a passage from "The Phoenix on the Sword". But when you actually read the passage, it gives a... slightly different impression of the Cimmerian:

With his back to the wall he faced the closing ring for a flashing instant, then leaped into the thick of them. He was no defensive fighter; even in the teeth of overwhelming odds he always carried the war to the enemy. Any other man would have already died there, and Conan himself did not hope to survive, but he did ferociously wish to inflict as much damage as he could before he fell. His barbaric soul was ablaze, and the chants of old heroes were singing in his ears.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It almost sounds like you're referring to a passage from "The Phoenix on the Sword". But when you actually read the passage, it gives a... slightly different impression of the Cimmerian:

With his back to the wall he faced the closing ring for a flashing instant, then leaped into the thick of them. He was no defensive fighter; even in the teeth of overwhelming odds he always carried the war to the enemy. Any other man would have already died there, and Conan himself did not hope to survive, but he did ferociously wish to inflict as much damage as he could before he fell. His barbaric soul was ablaze, and the chants of old heroes were singing in his ears.

I could see this as a very reasonable justification for Reckless Attack and/or Rage on a Conan type character.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Here is how I would stat Conan.

Race: Human Variant (Cimmerian)
Class/Level: Barbarian 2 Fighter 11 (Battlemaster)

Str 18 (16 base +1 Racial +1 feat: tavern Brawler)
Dex 16 (15 Base +1 ASI)
Con 20 (18 Base +1 Racial +1 ASI)
Int 13
Wis 16 (15 Base +1 Feat: Resilient)
Cha 14

Save Proficiencies: Str, Con, Wis

Feats: Lvl 1 Tavern Brawler, Ftr Lvl 4 Resilient, Ftr Lvl 6 Mobile, Ftr Lvl 8 ASI

Battlemaster Maneuvers: Menacing Attack, Sweeping Attack, Riposte ( Riposte not being a fancy move but an almost animalistic lunge under an oponents missed attack that makes them look rigid by comparison.)

I lean away from giving a twenty strength. His endurance and durability were constant. One thing I see many builds overlook was his Will. He had an iron will and it would take wisdom to rule. I would say if anything should change it would be strength.

I would not give him proficiency in social skills. If he intimidates someone I would assume they are not impressed with his words but rational in their fear of disembowelment. Being in the same room with Conan would be like being in the same room as a lion. You can be part of the pride or you can be lunch.

G

Guest 6801328

Looks like Mearls answered this one for us: Conan is a Samurai.

Who knew?

G

Guest 6801328

You have a link for that? I'd be interested in seeing it, please.

I was being a tiny bit facetious. He describes the concept behind the new Samurai sub-class, which could be paraphrased "somebody who unleashes a sudden burst of efficient destruction when in a tight spot".

Sounds like Conan to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads