• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Let Your Geek Flag Fly?

Samloyal23

Explorer
Geeks need an actual flag, let's design one. I think we need logos for different types of geeks and nerds to put on a flag. Any ideas?

Dannyalcatraz

Staff member
How many different kinds of geek ARE there? How many can be symbolized with a smallish icon?

I mean, gamers could be represented by a d20, but what about tech geeks? Fans of sci if? CosPlayers? Furries?

Eltab

Villager
A good flag can be recognized from a distance, has a symbol that somehow evokes something about the place, and uses contrasting colors.

Covering the flag in small print - words or symbols - is contra-indicated.

Zardnaar

Adventurer
A good flag can be recognized from a distance, has a symbol that somehow evokes something about the place, and uses contrasting colors.

Covering the flag in small print - words or symbols - is contra-indicated.
There are websites that rate them. Japan usually scores highly, distinctive, a child could draw it, not found to be mistaken for another flag at a distance, 2 colours, basic geometric shape.

Negatives in flags.
Writing
Black flags (a bar is ok)
To many stars (more than 4)
To many colours (4+)
Complicated geometric shapes
Weapons
Another countries flag on it (Example union hack on numerous countries)

Zardnaar

Adventurer
What's wrong with the Jolly Roger??

Hey now! Over here in the USA we have 50 states atm. If we were to leave somebody off there'd be a lot of bitching & crying....
Black has negative associations in a lot of cultures. Notice not many countries have black flags. I'm not sure if any do.

USA isn't a great flag IMHO neither is mine.

Government here spent 20 something million here for a new flag idea. The final 4 were arguably worse so we kept the current one.

Last edited:

cbwjm

I can add a custom title.
Black has negative associations in a lot of cultures. Notice not many countries have black flags. I'm not sure if any do.

Government here spent 20 something million here for a new flag idea. The final 4 were arguably worse so we kept the current one.
The silver fern does not make for a good national flag. It also didn't help that 3 of the 4 chosen were essentially the same flag, they were trying for a brand not a national flag. A 5th option was shoe-horned in at the end as well but we still chose to keep the current flag.

ccs

39th lv DM
Yours? Eh, maybe not. ;)

Mine? Love us, hate us, something in-between, or just don't care. Say what you like, but you see our flag, you're not mixing us up with somebody else.... So it must be effective.

ccs

39th lv DM
The silver fern does not make for a good national flag. It also didn't help that 3 of the 4 chosen were essentially the same flag, they were trying for a brand not a national flag. A 5th option was shoe-horned in at the end as well but we still chose to keep the current flag.
I like your navel flag of 1867-1869. THAT is a clear flag.

Dannyalcatraz

Staff member
How about a flag the same blue & white colors as the Greek flag...but just simply a field of blue with “σπασίκλας” in white?*

* according to some software, that’s “geek” in Greek.

Advertisement