• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's pronounce "Genasi"

Logan_Bonner

First Post
Didier Monin came to the design pit one day to ask us a question about the genasi, and pronounced it with a French accent.

So my favorite pronunciation is zhe-na-see'. :)

lutecius

Explorer
I am french too but it doesn't sound like a french word so i've always pronounced it (hard)Geh-nah-zee.

erm... now that i think of it, that sounds exactly like "gay nazi" in french. Maybe that's why D.Monin prefers "jenasi".

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
I'm not sure that the pronunciation of genie or the 'g' in arabic fully matters in this situation. It's not an arabic word, it's a created word from a fantasy setting. And the genasi don't necessarily have a monolithic descent from genie-kin either.

Regular elementals, mephits (yeah, there's an image of a honeymoon you want in your head), salamanders, and other non-genie natives of the elemental planes can be the source of a particular genasi's bloodline, assuming that it wasn't just caused by magical mishap, curse, or general exposure to the energies of the elemental planes in-utero. So should we assume "genie" should have that much importance for pronunciation purposes?

Greylock

First Post
Yeah, a hard 'g' like in:

general
genie
generation
gentle
genuflect
gene
genesis

I could go on. I'm having trouble thinking of a 'gen' word that actually does have a hard 'g'.

Yeah, not sure that qualifies as English,

Hey, no moving of the proverbial goalposts! You didn't say it had to be English!

How about Gengou?

Bordet-Gengou - Definition from Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary

Klaus

First Post
Genasi first appeared in the 2e Planewalker's Handbook, which Monte wrote. Elemental planetouched hadn't appeared prior to that point to my knowledge, so I'd say that he created them conceptually if I had to guess. Not a clue unfortunately how he pronounced them.
And a mighty fine book that is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads