• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Let's Talk About How to "Fix" D&D

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Problem: BBEG/ solo are push-overs without minions or other elements to help make them tougher.
Fix: Give BBEG or solo creatures max HP and/or have them deal max damage?

Anyway, the problem with ideas of problems and fixes is finding something that is considered a problem my the majority (or 60%) of the people who play. It would be interesting IMO to build a list of potential issues and see if any generate enough votes to warrant a "fix" in general.

No offense, but ... does this board ever talk about anything else?
TONS of stuff. Most of which I rarely read... ;)

And no offense taken (by me anyway shrug).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Anyway, the problem with ideas of problems and fixes is finding something that is considered a problem my the majority (or 60%) of the people who play. It would be interesting IMO to build a list of potential issues and see if any generate enough votes to warrant a "fix" in general.
Well, that's why I said "for our own purposes" in the OP. It doesn't matter if NO ONE ELSE thinks it is a problem. We're not lobbying WotC to issue errata. I think most of us have things that aren't working at our tables and since most of us on this board are veterans (according to @Morrus ) folks will have potential solutions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
and since most of us on this board are veterans (according to @Morrus )
Have I said that? I think the last time I spoke about demographics was here.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, that's why I said "for our own purposes" in the OP. It doesn't matter if NO ONE ELSE thinks it is a problem. We're not lobbying WotC to issue errata. I think most of us have things that aren't working at our tables and since most of us on this board are veterans (according to @Morrus ) folks will have potential solutions.
Oh, I know and understand that--which is why I offered my fix for solo encounters.

I just think it would be interesting to discover if there are any issues consider a problem by most users. Personally, I think the BBEG/ solo monster issue is one a lot of people and a good example.

Another problem for many tables is the stealth/perception rules and the overlap sometimes between investigation/perception, and many other skill issues.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Have I said that? I think the last time I spoke about demographics was here.

I meant specifically the board users, which your data has shown to be significantly older than those who peruse the site for news (unless I am misremembering).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Another problem for many tables is the stealth/perception rules and the overlap sometimes between investigation/perception, and many other skill issues.
I was just talking to a friend about this and we sort of landed on: don't require a check to see the thing, since dealing with the thing is the fun part. Example: when the party starts down the trapped hallway, just tell them they see holes in the walls and ceiling about the size of spears. "What do you do now?"

It's a little different with stealth, since that is effectively making a skill check for (literal) combat advantage. Anyone should be able to do that, and probably with a variety of skills, even if particular character types are better at it than others.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I meant specifically the board users, which your data has shown to be significantly older than those who peruse the site for news (unless I am misremembering).
I’m not aware of that data and don’t recall ever saying that? I mean, it might be true, but if so it’s not a thing that I know.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I believe that was a poll done in the forum, not data collected from website usage.

And yes, I remember that poll indicating 45-54 being the most common age range in the forum.

Remove ads