D&D 5E Lets talk about the Forgotten Realms

DM Howard

Explorer
I'm always for advancing the history of the Realms. Part of my love of the Realms is that I'm history buff and the Realms has tons of history and in the fantasy sense seems plausible to me. I like reading about the deposition of some monarch and thinking, "Hmm, I wonder what a biography of that person's life would be like."

I have never gotten the chance to play a lengthy game in the Realms and hopefully that will change soon as I'm almost done with college and will be in a more permanent area for a change. I'll run my games at the present time presented by WotC, that being said, I've never been one to do such world shattering events that I can't fit whatever WotC comes out with into my perception of the Realms. I love high fantasy to death but I've never been one for epic fantasy if that makes sense.

The Spellplague honestly didn't really bother me that much although I'm glad they are going to be restoring many deities. I'm willing to go with the flow and read it as the ongoing history of the Realms and I can't wait to see what's coming next!

variant

Adventurer
They need to take the realms and modernize them, if they're going to exist. The 3E implementation of the Realms is ridiculously antidiluvian in many respects - sexism in presentation is pretty much the norm, the drow are problematic, their expys of various earth cultures are usually incredibly stereotypical, and there's a number of painfully ridiculous things in there. And the number of god level Mary Sues...

Seriously, there's a reason they've been nuking the Realm regularly.

I don't want your 'modernization' in my fantasy world. Salvatore already did some of this 'modernization' when he had the orcs and elves/humans/dwarves hold hands in what seems to be some warped fantasy political correctness.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Erin M. Evans is an author who wrote the Forgotten Realms novels The God Catcher (February 2010) and Brimstone Angels (November 2011) and is currently writing the forthcoming novel The Adversary taking place during The Sundering.

Remove ads