Pathfinder 1E Let's talk Magus!

I haven't played a Magus at high level, sorry. My only real experience with one is playing one in Pathfinder Society and I dropped out of that after a really bad experience at a con. Since a Magus uses a spellbook one thing I would recommend is making sure to check cities that you visit to see if there's anyone willing to sell, or trade spells with you. Granted you have fewer options than a Wizard, but still good preparation can be a life saver. Depending on your ability score spread the Dervish Dance build can really rock an enemy's world once you get it going, it takes a few feats but I think you can get all of them by level three (maybe sooner if you're human I don't remember).

If you're GM allows it you could also work with him, or her, and create a few home brew spells just for spell combat. Maybe alternate energy type spells based on shocking grasp, or setting up another type of spell; maybe a higher level spell that would allow your blade to do force damage (granted this would be a higher level spell but it's just an example).

There's a lot you can do with a Magus, and they're one of my favorite classes. I'd love to play a higher level one sometime, just to see what I can do with it. Have fun and good luck with your character, sounds like you're having a great time now that the slow walk uphill is nearly over.

silverblade56

First Post
Well, the problem isn't your magus. The problem is your DM for doing something as boneheaded as allowing a melee-focused PC to be permanently large at low levels. Maguse are pretty good. They don't start getting great until about 5th level or so,and I agree that arcane mark cheesiness is over the top. Of course, at higherleves, you will be outdone by full casters with higher level spells. I have a 7th level kensai magus in PFS, and I refuse to use it. He still rocks pretty well. I easily did the most damage out of anyone in the last scenario I played him in. If the monk was normal sized, he'd be way behind your magus performance -wise unless you played him poorly. If the monk gets to be large sized, than the rest of the party should get something extra to balance things out. I would recommend you ask the DM to have the guy redo his monk for sake of balance.

Remove ads