Let's talk Virtual Tabletops!

JEB

Legend
We tried using Roll20 audio for a session and didn't make it very far before we switched that over to Discord. We kept having problems with 1 seemingly random person not being able to hear everyone. No idea what was going on with that.
That was precisely the problem we had (and I was that random person, in our case). Like I said, went to Roll20 tech support and they basically gave up after some basic troubleshooting. (They claimed they'd look at the issue long-term, but that was months ago.)

That was precisely the problem we had (and I was that random person, in our case). Like I said, went to Roll20 tech support and they basically gave up after some basic troubleshooting. (They claimed they'd look at the issue long-term, but that was months ago.)
So for us it would be one person and they'd log off and log back on, but then a different person would be unable to hear them, and so on. 3 tries later we gave up when someone mentioned they had a discord we could use and we've stuck with that since moving from 5e/Roll20 to PF2e/Foundry. It just makes things easier sticking with the voice solution that we were already familiar with.

JEB

Legend
So for us it would be one person and they'd log off and log back on, but then a different person would be unable to hear them, and so on. 3 tries later we gave up when someone mentioned they had a discord we could use and we've stuck with that since moving from 5e/Roll20 to PF2e/Foundry. It just makes things easier sticking with the voice solution that we were already familiar with.
Interesting, in our case it was either it worked for everyone but me, or it worked for me but not for everyone else. Tried a fair amount of troubleshooting on our own (changing browsers, changing voice settings, etc.) but didn't get anywhere. Then tried getting help from Roll20, which was useless.

In any case, yeah, seems just about any existing option is better than Roll20 audio.

Thomas Shey

Legend
We tried using Roll20 audio for a session and didn't make it very far before we switched that over to Discord. We kept having problems with 1 seemingly random person not being able to hear everyone. No idea what was going on with that.

Well, that can happen with any audio source; I was fighting a lot at times with Discord with one group.

But that's the point; with a separate voice source, if one doesn't work, you can try something else. If its baked into the VTT, you either fix it or go to another VTT that may not serve you in other ways.

How good are the built-in draw tools in Foundry? That's one thing I have to say about Maptool; the drawing tools are--adequate. But I'd hate to try and do anything at all complicated with it; some things I don't think it could do at all.
You can draw squares/rectangles, circles, lines, and freehand elements, and put in text elements too. You can then select an individual element, and customise its colour, whether it has text or not, whether it is filled or not, etc. I think it's pretty nice. Granted, I've only been using it a little bit, but I want to experiment with it more. I think when combined with Tiles to represent more complicated elements such as stairs and stuff, it might really shine then.

Well, that can happen with any audio source; I was fighting a lot at times with Discord with one group.

But that's the point; with a separate voice source, if one doesn't work, you can try something else. If its baked into the VTT, you either fix it or go to another VTT that may not serve you in other ways.
I've seen some issues with discord, but in all those cases the person experiencing an issue just logged off and back on to resolve it. It's entirely possible I've just been lucky with discord. You're right though, it is nice to have a backup.

Thomas Shey

Legend
You can draw squares/rectangles, circles, lines, and freehand elements, and put in text elements too. You can then select an individual element, and customise its colour, whether it has text or not, whether it is filled or not, etc. I think it's pretty nice. Granted, I've only been using it a little bit, but I want to experiment with it more. I think when combined with Tiles to represent more complicated elements such as stairs and stuff, it might really shine then.

How good is it at doing arcs? That's something Maptool, well, just doesn't do.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Can you elaborate on this a little? As far as I knew RPTools was the generic name for the group that does Maptool (and Tokentool) so I assume you're talking about something else with "the RP Tools set".
I've seen RPTools described differently, perhaps I was mistaken, but Map Tools is the VTT I was speaking of, and missing from Morris's list...

How good is it at doing arcs? That's something Maptool, well, just doesn't do.
As far as I can tell, there's no specific tool built in to draw arcs or semi-circles.

I do see some modules that might be useful in helping with that. Note: this is an area that I am not very experienced in, since I've only started using the drawing tools in the last week. The Foundry Discord would know a lot more.

Precise Drawing Tools has a number of tools included to make drawing very small lines easier.

Advanced Drawing Tools has a number of features, including editing of polygon drawings. That might be helpful to you.

Other tools I've discovered as of researching this with you:

Sketch Tiles allows you to draw to create tiles you can then place on your scene or map.

Drawing Area (version 10 only - current version of Foundry is 11) lets you automatically calculate the area of a drawing you have created.

I think I'm going to add all of those modules to my Forge instance now ^^.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I've seen RPTools described differently, perhaps I was mistaken, but Map Tools is the VTT I was speaking of, and missing from Morris's list...

Ah, okay, it sounded like there was some really broad framework (as compared to the specific ones) that worked with Maptool I hadn't heard about.

Remove ads