Let's Write a Bad Module

Insight

Adventurer
Yair said:
The sad thing is, this actually describes precisely the relations between my country and several other "kingdoms"... :confused:

I'm looking forward to seeing the completed adventure :) Good stuff.

What I am essentially doing here is to confuse whether they are at war or not, by stating that they ARE at war, but not FIGHTING. This makes sense in the modern world, since there is the concept of diplomatic war, but I also state that they are not on diplomatic terms. Not good terms or bad terms, but not on "terms" at all, as if they have never met.

In the final analysis, I still think the intro makes too much sense, and actually sort of gives the DM some background. There's only so much I can do!

Yair

Community Supporter
Insight said:
What I am essentially doing here is to confuse whether they are at war or not, by stating that they ARE at war, but not FIGHTING. This makes sense in the modern world, since there is the concept of diplomatic war, but I also state that they are not on diplomatic terms. Not good terms or bad terms, but not on "terms" at all, as if they have never met.
Again, this actually correctly protrayes my country.

There are several countries with which we were once at war, having declared war on each other and sometimes - but not always - actually fought. These proclamations were never recinded. No agreement of cease fire or other kind was ever reached, and no diplomatic or other relations were ever established. The countries are still at war, officially, but in practice haven't fought in half a century, in some cases ever.
Reality sometimes does rise up to the challenge :D
I leave it to you whether to laugh or cry.

Insight

Adventurer
Yair said:
Again, this actually correctly protrayes my country.

There are several countries with which we were once at war, having declared war on each other and sometimes - but not always - actually fought. These proclamations were never recinded. No agreement of cease fire or other kind was ever reached, and no diplomatic or other relations were ever established. The countries are still at war, officially, but in practice haven't fought in half a century, in some cases ever.
Reality sometimes does rise up to the challenge :D
I leave it to you whether to laugh or cry.

This is a tad OT, but I agree with you. The situation over there would be ridiculous if it wasn't so sad.

Any chance these 'other kingdoms' will ever get out of the Crusades-era mentality and get with the modern era? Sheesh...

Yair

Community Supporter
Insight said:
This is a tad OT, but I agree with you. The situation over there would be ridiculous if it wasn't so sad.
Nahh, it's rediculous AND sad... :D
but we are getting political, so I'll stop.

lukelightning said:
Wait! I think we forgot to mention that the DM should put their own favorite characters into the adventure, perhaps to lead the party!
So very, very true; and perhaps the module should feature a fight between Mordenkainen and Elminister so the PCs could watch it. It would be a blast!

Conaill

First Post
Insight said:

In the final analysis, I still think the intro makes too much sense, and actually sort of gives the DM some background. There's only so much I can do!
To further disclarify the situation, you could "accidentally" use the wrong country name every now and then. Plus, the geography and family relations make entirely too much sense. ;)

ssampier

First Post
lukelightning said:
Wait! I think we forgot to mention that the DM should put their own favorite characters into the adventure, perhaps to lead the party!

Good idea. And no matter what happens this character(s) cannot be killed, poisoned, tricked, or anywised harmed in any way. The NPC will always find the out of any situation, even though they could not possibly know about.

I suggest we call him "Tim."

Nomad4life

First Post
Yair said:
So very, very true; and perhaps the module should feature a fight between Mordenkainen and Elminister so the PCs could watch it. It would be a blast!

Wait! It would be better if one hired the PCs to kill the other… Who then offers them a better price to turn on their employer, so forth, and so on. You know, despite the players being low level no-namers who pose absolutely no threat to either.

Somewhere around here, we had a thread with the title of this module ... the title that was itself about 32 pages long. It was something like "Return to the Fane of the Tower of ..."

Anyone have that thread handy? This adventure needs a title!

And I'm still awaiting my PDF copy.

Remove ads