Level Up (A5E) Level Up: An issue of class names

dave2008

Legend
I know Level Up has changed some of the class names (no more monks or paladins). However, will all the class names change?

I was having a discussion with @Morrus and @Mike Myler about compatibility and Legendary Adventures and I had the thought:

To avoid confusion, Level Up should use all new class names. Though compatible with O5e, a Level Up Fighter is not the same as a O5e fighter and calling them the same thing could be a source of confusion. I just didn't know where the design team (or anyone else) stands on this.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
We talked about it at some point and it was decided that to make a D&D game some things can't be changed. Eventually it stops being D&D. So core concepts (fighter, rogue, wizard) are named as they usually are.
There were many noodlings trying to figure out better names for the cleric and druid though.

dave2008

Legend
We talked about it at some point and it was decided that to make a D&D game some things can't be changed. Eventually it stops being D&D. So core concepts (fighter, rogue, wizard) are named as they usually are.
There were many noodlings trying to figure out better names for the cleric and druid though.
I get it. It doesn't really bother me, but I see a pretty good argument for different names. Particularly in the format of online discussion

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I sincerely feel "Herald" is a terrible name for Paladins. When I think of Herald I think of either:

1) Page Boy Haircuts, Tights, and a Trumpet. Generally wearing Silks and smelling of Perfumes.
2) A middle aged man getting yelled at by his wife. "Harold!"

That said, the Paladins of Charlemagne's Court are hardly accurate to the character concept we know and love/loathe (depending on the person).

I would propose "Justicar". It's a word that has very little day to day meaning to most people and it's original definition is a representative and warrior for a Ruler or King. Give their devotion over to a higher power and Justicar makes a significantly better name than Herald in all respects.

The Old Crow

Explorer
Hmm, a Herald/Paladin could multiclass, but a Fighter/Fighter could not (I don't know why they would want to, but it is a weird side effect of some classes having name changes but others not).

Stalker0

Legend
I get the name change for monk to adept, as you can conceptually see how they are shifting the class into a few new directions.

But the Herald is still just a Paladin. Sure there are some changes, but it’s still a divine knight all the same. I don’t see the reason for a change there.

It doesn’t matter where the name got it’s start, If you ask gamers what a Paladin is, they will tell you it’s a holy knight. No one is going to say “oh those are the knights of charlamagne”

Remove ads