Level Up (A5E) Level Up Class Preview: Adept

The Kickstarter has launched and already has nearly 2000 backers! Over the next month, we have plenty of fun stuff to show you. Let’s start with a class — and we’ll start at the beginning with the Adept. https://www.levelup5e.com/news/class-preview-adept
The Kickstarter has launched and already has nearly 2000 backers! Over the next month, we have plenty of fun stuff to show you. Let’s start with a class — and we’ll start at the beginning with the Adept.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.00.49 AM.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think I can supply the missing piece for you here: "Practiced Techniques" is the class-specific name for "exploration knacks." They all shared that name during playtesting, but as part of the final design pass, they got renamed to something more in-flavor for the class they were attached to.
I know it's probably too late, but I really think they should go back to being called exploration knacks. Judging by other things (the 8 Days to Go Thread and T'lingbet's stats), both fighters and rangers have exploration knacks that are called that. So if some classes have exploration stats but others "don't" (because they're called something else), it's going to be confusing.

niklinna

satisfied?
Now this rewritten monk. I see in this thread numerous people saying they like what they see, and that they would be keen to play this. I think the mismatch here is the most telling. For me, this new Adept class repulses me almost as much as the Monk has always enchanted and captivated me, from when I played my first one in the early 80s. To me, a pit fighter who can exert himself is not a martial artist, not even close, and not even in the same realm as a true monk who can manipulate life force energy. To try to conflate them is abhorrent to me.
FWIW, the O5E Monk class is still there for you to use, if you like it better.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Ohhh ok Knacks being renamed makes sense. My other question is that I love love love the ala carte build type with Invocation-esque Focus Features, is that common among the Classes now or just a particularly deep toybox for the Adept?

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Ohhh ok Knacks being renamed makes sense. My other question is that I love love love the ala carte build type with Invocation-esque Focus Features, is that common among the Classes now or just a particularly deep toybox for the Adept?
All of the classes are significantly more customizable than they once were. One of the core design principle was "meaningful choices at every level." They're not all quite as modular as the adept is, but there is way more flexibility to create different types of character than there once was. That's actually one of the things that has me, personally, excited to play Level Up characters. There are whole different avenues of character creation that you can go down that just weren't there in O5E.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
All of the classes are significantly more customizable than they once were. One of the core design principle was "meaningful choices at every level." They're not all quite as modular as the adept is, but there is way more flexibility to create different types of character than there once was. That's actually one of the things that has me, personally, excited to play Level Up characters. There are whole different avenues of character creation that you can go down that just weren't there in O5E.
Oh yeah no, same hat, I'd meant in comparison to the Playtests. But I dug up the Adept and it had the same structure, it just feels a lot different with the Exploration Knacks being renamed and not shunted to the end of the class. Warlock was the only o5e Class I felt was adequately designed, and Adept being the Martial Equivalent (On top of Blade Pact) is very enticing. Adept definitely is top tier for classes I'm excited to play in LU :D

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Oh yeah no, same hat, I'd meant in comparison to the Playtests. But I dug up the Adept and it had the same structure, it just feels a lot different with the Exploration Knacks being renamed and not shunted to the end of the class. Warlock was the only o5e Class I felt was adequately designed, and Adept being the Martial Equivalent (On top of Blade Pact) is very enticing. Adept definitely is top tier for classes I'm excited to play in LU :D
I'm personally still planning on that herald/bard as my first PC, but I can't fault anyone who wants to go with the adept.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Fighter, Adept, Warlock, and maybe Herald are the top ones for me, gotta get a look at them all before I know which one speaks to me the most.

Remove ads

Remove ads