Blog (A5E) Level Up & Electronic Tools

Nebulous

Legend
OK, now I am all for getting LevelUp official Foundry support (because I don't want to to do the work of importing classes, spells, monsters, magic items, etc.). What can we do to make that happen!
I'm with you. When I run LU I want to do it with Foundry, it looks like the best VTT out there currently.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I used Roll20 for many years, but they seem to have stalled in their development in the last few years. FoundryVTT has many features I have been pining for on Roll20 for a long time. FoundryVTT seems to have more momentum now and I feel more confident about their future. The main feature to me is that it is very easy to add custom content to the game's compendium for players to use. In a close second place is the way FoundryVTT supports community-created add-on modules as an expected part of its use, and it is not gated behind the paywall as it is with Roll20's API.

Keep in mind that while the number of add-on modules can seem overwhelming, you don't need to use everything, nor add them all at once. You can add things gradually, and choose the things you want to use when. It's very easy to add modules; using them is sometimes the tricky part, especially for the more complex modules. There are a number of YouTube videos and blogposts about the top add-ons for FoundryVTT. I review those and find some things I don't care to add, but I also find other functions that would address particular issues for me or my players.

Nebulous

Legend
I didn't get into Roll20 until the start of 2020, and spent a lot of time learning it, and really, I don't have many complaints. I use the API, and I can run games faster in VTT than I did in person, and I have access to infinite maps and tokens and props, so aside from seeing players faces (which we can still do in Discord if needed) I actually like running games better online. I never thought I would say that, but that is what evolved the past year and a half. For a while I was running three Roll20 games a week for different campaigns, all map and miniature heavy, something I couldn't have done in person. I photoshop a lot of monster art for my games, so it still "feels" like I'm playing with monster minis in an odd way. I often like to add the whole critter, not just a circle token of its face that leaves out all the cool artwork.

g3KgCfj.png

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I used Roll20 for many years, but they seem to have stalled in their development in the last few years. FoundryVTT has many features I have been pining for on Roll20 for a long time. FoundryVTT seems to have more momentum now and I feel more confident about their future. The main feature to me is that it is very easy to add custom content to the game's compendium for players to use. In a close second place is the way FoundryVTT supports community-created add-on modules as an expected part of its use, and it is not gated behind the paywall as it is with Roll20's API.

Keep in mind that while the number of add-on modules can seem overwhelming, you don't need to use everything, nor add them all at once. You can add things gradually, and choose the things you want to use when. It's very easy to add modules; using them is sometimes the tricky part, especially for the more complex modules. There are a number of YouTube videos and blogposts about the top add-ons for FoundryVTT. I review those and find some things I don't care to add, but I also find other functions that would address particular issues for me or my players.
Yeah, I've found Roll20 to be pretty clunky overall. It feels...old - like it's built on 10+ year-old ideas of how such a thing could work. On Roll20 I always feel kind of like I'm working with a website built using Frames. ;)

I played with Astral a bit, and it has a much more modern, video game-like UI. I haven't tried Foundry, but it sounds similar.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If you haven't started with a VTT yet, I'd go Astral or Foundry for sure.......If you are on Roll20, both are much more modern options. Both have partnerships with pretty major companies, though Kobold seems to have moved to the new one whose name I can't recall......

There is no reason to install most of the add-ons in Foundry......it really depends on how much you want to automate. I use Beyond20 with both Foundry and Roll20, so I don't need to enter any character or monster data (as I pay for it on DnDBeyond).

All that said, I hope LevelUp is easy to support on one or both of Foundry / Roll20 (can't get my one group to move to Foundry).....and I don't currently have a group on Astral.

Brendanv1

Explorer
I am not sure if this was covered in another thread, but will there be an online character sheet such is found in DND beyond? I think it's the one thing that my players have been hesitant about embracing (yes, they are lazy, and yes I have enabled them.)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am not sure if this was covered in another thread, but will there be an online character sheet such is found in DND beyond? I think it's the one thing that my players have been hesitant about embracing (yes, they are lazy, and yes I have enabled them.)
I don't think it is lazy. The math is boring (for many)......DnDBeyond's best (by far) thing is the ability to make a PC easily.

Nebulous

Legend
I sure hope LU has a robust online character builder that can incorporate with a VTT. I don't think we'll have it out of the gate, but mid 2022 maybe? I'm really hoping for Foundry support and a full adventure I can buy for that VTT.

Remove ads