Level Up (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document: #18: Combat

This is a big one, folks. If any playtest document needed playing rather than just reading, this is it. What we are giving you here is the entire combat chapter. You can use this chapter in your regular 5E combats (or you can use our previous playtest documents, like Combat Maneuvers); it’s the same game you know and love, the same system you’re familiar with, but with upgrades and tweaks. We can’t wait to find out what you think of it!

Take this and use it on your 5E games. Then come back and tell us how it went. Thank you!

a.jpg

The survey is here!

Please take a moment to fill it out. Thank you!

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe make it so you can only get one level of Fatigue from sprinting by making it so you cannot Sprint while Fatigued?
We're still finalizing the fatigue and strife charts, but not being able to sprint is in there somewhere. Not sure offhand what level it's at. So you'll never be able to run yourself to death.

Horwath

Legend
We're still finalizing the fatigue and strife charts, but not being able to sprint is in there somewhere. Not sure offhand what level it's at. So you'll never be able to run yourself to death.
You should be able to sprint while fatigued. As it can be done. But speed and max duration could be reduced.

Also, you should be able to run yourself to death, or at least into unconsciousness.

maybe adding -5 ft to speed per level of fatigue would be a good description.

merrymayhem

Villager
Dragging An Ally
While adjacent to a willing ally, you can use your reaction to grab them by the hand and pull them along with your movement even if they’ve already expended all of theirs. While doing so, every foot of movement costs you an additional 2 feet of movement, and the ally cannot use their reaction. This movement provokes opportunity attacks as normal.

I am not sure this should be a reaction. I view reactions as actions you take during other teams, not one you use during yours. If it's a reaction, does that mean that before I mob can move up to attack an ally, I could use my reaction to drag them away? Maybe make it a bonus action?

GKEnialb

Explorer
Maybe make it so you can only get one level of Fatigue from sprinting by making it so you cannot Sprint while Fatigued?

I like that solution a lot. Only thing is that the playtest rules state, "The effects of fatigue gained during combat are only felt after the encounter in which they were inflicted has ended", so that would have to be tweaked as well.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I like that solution a lot. Only thing is that the playtest rules state, "The effects of fatigue gained during combat are only felt after the encounter in which they were inflicted has ended", so that would have to be tweaked as well.
Those are "Suffering Fatigue" not "Gaining Fatigue" as a general rule. They're put on you by the pain and trauma you're suffering from taking a Crit or dropping to 0hp. Or taking a crit -while- at 0hp. Those ones only come into play after the fight, once the adrenaline has worn off.

That said, it should definitely be clarified that the Fatigue being referenced is fatigue based in Suffering rather than Fatigue gained from Activities.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't normally do this, as designing in real time isn't our process. But I thought I'd share where the designers are at re. Sprints. This may get rephrased or bullet-pointed out or whatever, but this is where the thinking is right now.

Sprint
When you take the Sprint action, you focus all your effort on moving as fast as possible. You may not take any other actions, bonus actions, or reactions other than your move Speed for the turn. If you are unencumbered, your Speed is quadrupled for one turn; if you are encumbered or wearing heavy armor, your Speed is tripled for one turn. You must Sprint in a straight line each turn, although you can change direction each time you Sprint. You may Sprint for a number of turns equal to your Constitution modifier. Each turn you Sprint after that, you make a Constitution (Athletics) check (DC 10 + 1 per previous check made in the last minute) or you suffer a level of fatigue from either tiredness or a minor sprain or injury. You recover fatigue suffered from sprinting at a rate of one level per minute. You cannot Sprint if you are suffering from one or more levels of fatigue.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases