Levels within levels

Kzach

Banned
Banned
At the moment this is just a concept which I need some feedback on before I move forward with it.

The basic idea is to give a finer division between power increases by inserting sub-levels within existing levels and basing them off of divisions within the existing XP table.

For example, if you create two increments within each level and started a character at 1st-level, the character would get one at 500xp and the second (resulting in a full level) at 1,000xp.

Without having looked over how such a system would be implemented, I was hoping for feedback on all the obstacles to such a system or if it is even viable. At first glance, hit points are the obvious choice to divide between levels but I was thinking that there are numerous levels where the character either gets very little or gets several things at once. These could instead be parceled out in a more even spread.

Ideally this would fit within the existing infrastructure without tinkering with advancement beyond the concept, but I'm thinking that it might require fundamentally altering the advancement system. By that I mean taking levels that give multiple advancements and repositioning them between levels that give few advancements.

The sentiment behind this is to simply create a smoother advancement system that doesn't jolt characters forward by leaps and bounds. It can also be used for a slower advancement rate. If you, for instance, cut the XP gain of the group in half, players would still have a sense of advancement and fulfillment if they're getting something at every half-level.

What are your thoughts?

Fridayknight

First Post
I think it is DNDception.

First, it requires even more tracking of stuff for player and referee.

Second, your idea will, as you say, require some changing of the original advancement system - perhaps it would be best to scrap this totally, for example:

Require a martial character to go to a trainer - it might cost money (which you can now hand out at any rate that you want to determine how fast you want advancement) or time (so that advancement takes generally about the same time as normal - if you have no problem with this). Higher level powers cost more and take more time to train.

Now that you have separated powers from levels you can make the smoother advancements - say that whenever the party has an encounter it gives them 1 hp, and a boss encounter gives them 1+ to defenses or attack.

Just some quick thoughts.

FK

Camelot

Adventurer
What I've thought of doing is letting the players choose powers, feats, and features that they would get at the next level and have to "practice" them throughout the level before. They'd start off as much weaker and sometimes even useless, but each time they used it, it would get a little better. That way gaining a power or feat wouldn't feel so sudden.

AeroDm

First Post
I do something similar. We ignore XP and just end up leveling every few sessions or so. Sometimes we'll "half-level" depending on if we are in the middle of an adventure or if doing so helps the narrative.

The trick is to identify the buckets that all characters get when they level up and try and balance them. Some obvious ones are hit points, level bonus, feats, ability increases, and class powers. If you want, you could even divide level bonus up into defense, skills, etc. It just depends on how many sub-levels you want to introduce.

Ferdil

First Post
Sorry. Had to be done.

xzibitlevels.jpg

Remove ads