• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LFR News or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Play a Drow, Genasi, or Swordmage.

wayne62682

First Post
Swordmage looks totally awesome; I so want to play one. Could care less about Drow, and Genasi always seemed cool if underpowered in 3.5

My main hope is that they extract the Swordmage and also put it on D&DI, to avoid having someone disallow it for non-FR games because it's in an FR book and therefore "setting specific" like what happened with a lot of new things in 3.5

Aside from say, the Spellfire Wealder, and the Incanatrix, I didn't see anything inherently broken in FR 3e.

Yeah, that's the thing though. FR doesn't have much broken stuff (though always some), it just pushes very hard at the boundary of "max acceptable power". Genasi aren't broken. They're just as good as you could possibly make a racial ability without irritating people.

I'm more interested to know what they look like these days, myself.

The reasons for playing Drow and Genasi both seem pretty terrible, sadly (like the reasons give). Basically "Play a Drow if you want to be Drizzt" and "Er, we couldn't think of anything that made sense" respectively.

At least we can safely say whoever wrote this isn't a WoW player, given that he accidentally named one of the Genasi abilities after one of the most well-know WoW abilities.

Otoh impressed with the Swordmage mechanically AND conceptually. I particularly like that they give some good and varied origin stories.

Edit - In fact, despite my mockery of the concept some time ago, if I ever play 4E, this will be the class I will play (possibly multiclassed into Warlord), it's just horribly perfect for what I want out of a class. You even get a higher AC if you fight 1h without a shield.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Yeah, that's the thing though. FR doesn't have much broken stuff (though always some), it just pushes very hard at the boundary of "max acceptable power". Genasi aren't broken. They're just as good as you could possibly make a racial ability without irritating people.

This is precisely what I meant by lack of restraint ;). Don't get me wrong, I love the Realms, or at least I love the grey box ;)

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Play a drow if you want...
*To play a hero in search of redemption, or one who struggles to rise above the wickedness of his or her people.

I am now envisioning a party made entirely of Drow and Tieflings, and it is making me laugh hysterically.

Ander00

First Post
Just yesterday I was contemplating a dual-scimitar ranger for a near-epic FR campaign, and then it struck me that there aren't a whole lot of fitting miniatures... but there are two variants of Drizz't. I was tired enough to consider the possibility for a second or two, before going back to working on a glaive-wielding ranger :erm:.

I haven't had a close look at the document yet, but there's something I found amusing on a quick glance. The other day I had started converting the genasi-ish races in my homebrew to 4E, and so far I had given the fiery one an immediate power triggered on being hit, and the stormy one a minor action power that enhances the next attack. Yeah, I'm easily amused.

cheers

LOL. People who want to play Drizzt sure have fun in a bad, wrong way.

loldrow.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads