LGS in Vancouver-Seattle-Portland!

Birmy

Adventurer
I'll be hitting all of the cities in the subject line in a lengthy trip through the Pacific Northwest at the end of June, so I'm officially looking for recommendations on FLGS in those cities (or near enough) to hit. Lemme have it, ENWorlders!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Portland Game Stores

Portland has three I recommend:

Guardian Games
correct address: 315 SE 3rd Ave
Portland, OR.
Phone: 971-285-3223
http://www.myspace.com/guardiangames
Despite the eye-breaking lime green on black site, it's a good store. All the new stuff and lots of used games and rpg stuff as well.
Don't go to the Foster Road address listed in Google maps; that building was condemned after the building next to it fell on it during/after a windstorm. :eek:

Rainy Day Games (technically it's in Aloha, a suburb)
http://www.rainy-day-games.com
Rainy Day Games LLC.
18105 SW Tualatin Valley HWY
Aloha, OR 97006
Phone: 503-642-4100
Extensive collection of new rpg's and boardgames. Many boardgames have samples opened that you can play in the back of the store.

Ancient Wonders (again, in the Suburb of Tualatin).
Most of the new stuff. Large collection of old stuff.
Ancient Wonders
P.O.Box 846
Tualatin, OR 97062
Phone: (503) 692-0753
http://www.ancientwonders.net/index2.ivnu

***Oh yeah, and if you drive through Portland at all, you absolutely MUST visit Powell's Books. http://www.powells.com. The largest bookstore in the USA. :cool:

Yeah, the Strand in New York says they're larger, but 98% of their stock is crappy art books locked up in warehouses. Powells is a whole city block--and it has two other giant all-purpose stores, a seperate technical book store and a seperate cookbook/gardening store. Plus used sci-fi/fantasy and used roleplaying books. The best thing to see in Portland, bar none.

Pramas

Explorer
I agree with TB that Imperial Hobbies in Vancouver is the must-visit. Great store. There's a also a cool new store called Strategies Games & Hobbies (www.strategiesgames.ca).

As for Seattle...

Even after the six WotC stores and three original Games & Gizmos stores went out, the Seattle area still has more game stores to choose from than major cities like Boston, Chicago, and New York. For starters there's:

The Dreaming: Cool comic and game store on the "the Ave" in the University District. It's fairly small but well stocked and run.

Genesis Games & Gizmos: This is in Redmond, near Microsoft. It was one of the original Games & Gizmos stores, then it became the Wizkids store for a couple of years, and now some old G&G staffers brought it and renamed it yet again. Good all around store and great minis tables if you like that kind of game.

American Eagles: This is in the Lake City neighborhood of North Seattle and it's what we call "the game store that time forgot." They used to be a small regional distributor back in the day. These days they concentrate more on model kits, train stuff, and military history books (great Osprey selection). However, they do have a great deal of vintage game stuff. If you wonder what a game store looked like circa 1990, come by and see the racks of shrink-wrapped Traveller 2300, Cyberpunk, and ICE Champions books. Marvel at their ancient Rafm and Ral Partha minis. Thrill to old Avalon Hill and SPI wargames. Worth the trip if you have the time.

Gary's Games and Hobbies: Another North Seattle store, this time in Greenwood. Good selection of most current game stuff.

Golden Age Collectibles: One of the few places you can get RPG stuff downtown, this is right in Pike's Place Market. It's much better for comics than games, but does have at least some RPG stuff.

Oroboro: Another store in Redmond, formerly known as Coyote Games. The former owner went to work for Privateer. It's a bit disorganized and somewhat of a "clubhouse" store, but the staff is enthusiastic and there's good play space for minis.

Uncle's Games: Another Redmond store, this one is a good spot to shop for boardgames. They do carry some RPG and minis stuff though and the staff is pleasant and knowledgeable. They also have puzzles and more mainstream family games.

Games Plus: This is a bit further out, in Woodinville. Very good store, with a broad selection and lots of older games.

Game Wizard: Yet another North Seattle store. I've only been once but it seemed decent.

On top of all that there are three Games Workshop stores and at least three Hobbytown USAs that have some game stuff.

Birmy

Adventurer
Whoa! That's quite the list! Thanks, gents! I knew I could count on the folks on this board to help me out (or at least spare me a few google minutes). I'll see how many I can hit and snobbishly critique while I'm traveling.

Wik

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
In Vancouver

Drexoll Games
2860 West 4th Ave
Vancouver, BC Canada

The Comic Shop
2089 West 4th Ave.
Vancouver,BC Canada

Yeah, 4th avenue is a gamer destination.

Also, not to be missed...

In Richmond (Vancouver suburb)

Imperial Hobbies
5451 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC

Thanks for that one. Last time I was in Vancouver, I kept my eyes open for a games store, but I could only find the Games Workshop in Metrotown mall. I figured they'd be easier to find... we have three in downtown Victoria alone.

I did drive by the one in Richmond, though... didn't have time to get my friends to stop the car and poke around, though.

Erekose13

Explorer
Also in Vancouver (well okay in New West) and easiest to get to on the sky train:
Chaos Books & Games
24 Eighth Street,
New Westminster,
BC V3M 3N8

sniffles

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
In Vancouver

Drexoll Games
2860 West 4th Ave
Vancouver, BC Canada

The Comic Shop
2089 West 4th Ave.
Vancouver,BC Canada

Yeah, 4th avenue is a gamer destination.

Also, not to be missed...

In Richmond (Vancouver suburb)

Imperial Hobbies
5451 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC
I have a sneaking suspicious he was asking about Vancouver, WA. But maybe I'm wrong. :)

Portland:

Bridgetown Hobbies/The Military Corner
3350 NE Sandy Blvd.
503-234-1881
www.bthobbies.com

My favorite LGS. Lots of RPG materials and minis, plus a big selection of RC cars and model kits. Friendly helpful staff, too.

Vancouver, WA:

Z Games
2100 SE 164th Ave
360-567-1684
www.zgamesonline.com

A mom-and-pop store featuring board games as well as RPGs and comics. Their RPG selection is limited and they recently stopped carrying Reaper miniatures in favor of more Rackham and other manufacturers.

Things From Another World
Several stores, located all around the Portland Metro area
4133 NE Sandy Blvd (yes, just up the road from Bridgetown Hobbies)
503-284-4693

They're owned by the people who own Dark Horse comics. In fact there's a store a block away from the Dark Horse offices in Milwaukie (another suburb of Portland). Mostly comics and action figures, but they usually have the latest D&D books and a small selection of minis.

I've visited Ancient Wonders in Tualatin many times - it's usually overcrowded and has a rather cave-like atmosphere. Unless they've upgraded their mini stock since the last time I was there, they tend to have a lot of out-of-print stuff in my experience.

I've never been to Guardian Games, but have been told that their stock is limited, for what that's worth. And the last time I drove by there their sign was gone so I'm not even sure they're still there.

Last edited:

Remove ads