Libram of Arrakis[Heroic tier artifact]

llamatron2000

First Post
Well, since I'm currently running a game, I've been working on heroic-tier artifacts for my PC's to eventually acquire. Here's one. This is fairly rough and I'm looking for feedback/suggestions.

The Libram of Arrakis is a book that has often been mentioned throughout history. Always referenced, never found. Historical records first mention the libram in the hands of a historian and general named Arrakis, leader of an ancient nation. His tactical prowess was renowned, and his knowledge and expertise won him many battles. In the nations he united, he instilled the virtues of knowledge and education in his people, and was known for giving books as gifts.

The Libram is purportedly a book of knowledge, possessed by sages, tacticians, mages, and academics, and seeks to add an ever-growing base of knowledge to its weighty interior.

Libram of Arrakis
Implement +2
Enhancement: Attack rolls, damage rolls, healing rolls, tactical presence
Critical: +1d12 damage per plus
Property: User gains +2 to all knowledge rolls
Property: User gains a +1 to all defenses
Property: The Libram of Arrakis may be used as whatever implement the user is already proficient with, with any specializations usable with it.
Power(encounter)-Crucial Advice (ranger 2)
Class Feature-Tactical presence(warlord)

concordance modifiers
Starting Concordance: 5
level gain:+1d10
user possesses knowledge skills:+1 per skill
distributes/teaches knowledge: +1
successfully uses a knowledge skill:+1
fails at a knowledge skill:-1
destroys/hoards knowledge:-2

Pleased(16-20)
Property: knowledge bonus increases to +5
Power: Use Inspiring Word as a warlord

Satisfied(12-15)
Property: Defenses increase to +2

Normal(5-11)
The book desires the user to gain knowledge and to distribute it.

Unsatisfied(1-4)
The book urges its owner to seek knowledge instead of adventure. If this means it has to gain knowledge of how people get -hurt-, so be it.

Special: You take a -2 penalty to all saves

Angered(0 or lower)
The book is extremely dissatisfied with its owner and will urge the owner to either do something drastic to gain knowledge, or give the book away.

Special: The artifact's enhancement bonus drops to +1
Special: You take a -5 penalty to all saves

Moving On:
When the wielder next gains a level, if the book is at least satisfied, the book's pages change, leaving behind a 128 page ritual book filled with rituals of the player's choice, up to a maximum level of 10. Otherwise the player's left with an empty book.

Last edited:

dragon_eater

First Post
Moving On:
When the wielder next gains a level, the book crumbles, leaving behind a book of all rituals levels 1-10. It appears in a bookshop or library waiting for a new user.

I think that a book of rituals with all level 1-10 rituals is to good. First it would be better if included just the rituals in the Player's Handbook. If another source book comes out with 100 level 1-10 rituals then getting all the rituals is way to good.

Second the ritual book violates the normal limit of 128 levels worth of rituals. If it had all the 1-10 level Player's Handbook rituals it would need 160 pages.

I would recommend changing the Moving On to a full ritual book containing rituals of the Player's Choice (The Libram leaves exactly what the person wants) that must be level 10 or lower. (If you did this it could contain rituals from books other then the Player's Handbook)

Last edited:

generalhenry

First Post
hmm. The moving on should probably be concordance dependent.

rituals if normal or higher. Ordinary book if unsatisfied. and I'm sure we can come up with something amusing for what kind of book gets left behind if it's angry.

cferejohn

First Post
hmm. The moving on should probably be concordance dependent.

rituals if normal or higher. Ordinary book if unsatisfied. and I'm sure we can come up with something amusing for what kind of book gets left behind if it's angry.

Just a piece of paper with the words "goatse.cx"

generalhenry

First Post
You are right. You did follow the DMG.

Only one of the DMG artifacts specifies different moving on effects due to concordance so it's at the very least completely optional.

I was just seeing if any one could come up with a prank book that a book would leave to spite someone.

cferejohn

First Post
You are right. You did follow the DMG.

Only one of the DMG artifacts specifies different moving on effects due to concordance so it's at the very least completely optional.

I was just seeing if any one could come up with a prank book that a book would leave to spite someone.

Maybe some kind of booby trap? Like it appears to be the book of rituals but when you try one it explodes? Or maybe something more subtle, but it's kind of hard to think of something other than damage given that the system has put the kibosh on ability score/experience drain.

Remove ads