• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lich Incredible Legendary Action Economy

Tormyr

Hero
Really? Is there an official place that says that because I was always under the assumption they would stack. Same with a team of wizards casting ray of frost.

As for the rest of it

Yeah, Liches in their lairs are terrifying and (in my humble opinion) are nigh unbeatable if you give them even 100 years to prepare defenses against pesky adventurers coming to kill them.
It's in the spellcasting chapter, near the end, before the lists of spells. "Combining Magical Effects"

It describes that the effects from the same spells or magical effects do not stack. This includes ray of frost, bless, and paladin auras.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Okay, I see where you get your interpretation, but I think that paragraph was more concerned with ongoing effects than... well honestly, I see the -10 speed as a form of damage. Lose 3 health and 10 speed, lose 5 health and 10 speed. Just like you can lose the health repeatedly, you can lose the speed repeatedly.

Tormyr

Hero
Okay, I see where you get your interpretation, but I think that paragraph was more concerned with ongoing effects than... well honestly, I see the -10 speed as a form of damage. Lose 3 health and 10 speed, lose 5 health and 10 speed. Just like you can lose the health repeatedly, you can lose the speed repeatedly.
Except speed does not take damage and is not recovered with healing magic, hit dice, or a long rest. The closest analog is ability score damage, and that is extremely rare and spelled out wherever it pops up. In this case, the damage and effect are separate, and the effect has a fixed duration.

From the SRD:
A frigid beam of blue-­‐‑white light streaks toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, it takes 1d8 cold damage, and its speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

And it closely follows the layout for shocking grasp; the effect of which is more obviously an effect rather than damage:
Lightning springs from your hand to deliver a shock to a creature you try to touch. Make a melee spell attack against the target. You have advantage on the attack roll if the target is wearing armor made of metal. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 lightning damage, and it can’t take reactions until the start of its next turn.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

If the push back effect of eldritch blasts stacks, why wouldn't the speed loss be stackable too? From what I read it should... Maybe I am missing something.

UnknownDyson

Explorer
Really? Is there an official place that says that because I was always under the assumption they would stack. Same with a team of wizards casting ray of frost.

As for the rest of it

Yeah, Liches in their lairs are terrifying and (in my humble opinion) are nigh unbeatable if you give them even 100 years to prepare defenses against pesky adventurers coming to kill them.

You think liches are bad?

962486.png

Tormyr

Hero
If the push back effect of eldritch blasts stacks, why wouldn't the speed loss be stackable too? From what I read it should... Maybe I am missing something.

Because the pushback happens and is done on a per hit basis. Each beam occurs and is evaluated separately. The first beam from eldritch blast with Repelling Blast can push the target out of range of the rest of the beams. While Repelling Blast can also be read as a maximum of 10 feet per creature hit by a casting of eldritch blast, that does not fit with the guidance that the first beam can knock back a creature out of range of the rest of the beams.

In the end, my assessment is that each beam can knock the target back 10 feet because each beam is resolved separately and the effect resolves immediately between beams. There is no ongoing effect to stack. The speed reduction effect from ray of frost continues until the caster's next turn.

seebs

Adventurer

Pushback doesn't "stack". There is no point at which you are "pushed back 30 feet". Each blast pushes you back, separately. We don't accumulate a bunch of pushes, then come up with a single total distance to push you.

The debuff is a persistent effect; it lasts for a period of time, and then it's over.

If Eldritch Blast's effect were "for the next turn, you are treated as ten feet further west than you actually are", then it would be a persistent effect, and wouldn't stack.

Chaosmancer

Legend
You think liches are bad?

View attachment 77861

Oh yeah, I'm aware of how insanely brutal Orcus could be. But, as a named, iconic enemy no one is surprised by that. But the perception of Liches is that high level parties just go and kill a lich and destroy his phylactery. They are kind of like dragons, everyone expects you can take them out easily because they are usually under-played.

But, if I ever wanted to TPK a party, I'd set them at odds with a Lich in his domain, because I straight up don't see how you could survive that with all of the insanity that a Lich could bring to bear upon them, especially if he had been a long-time observer via scrying.

Except speed does not take damage and is not recovered with healing magic, hit dice, or a long rest. The closest analog is ability score damage, and that is extremely rare and spelled out wherever it pops up. In this case, the damage and effect are separate, and the effect has a fixed duration.

Because the pushback happens and is done on a per hit basis. Each beam occurs and is evaluated separately. The first beam from eldritch blast with Repelling Blast can push the target out of range of the rest of the beams. While Repelling Blast can also be read as a maximum of 10 feet per creature hit by a casting of eldritch blast, that does not fit with the guidance that the first beam can knock back a creature out of range of the rest of the beams.

In the end, my assessment is that each beam can knock the target back 10 feet because each beam is resolved separately and the effect resolves immediately between beams. There is no ongoing effect to stack. The speed reduction effect from ray of frost continues until the caster's next turn.

First, by necessity it must have a fixed duration, or a single use of that cantrip would cripple a low-level adventurer for way too long.

Secondly, unlike ability score damage, movement is something you are constantly spending and refilling. To my way of looking at the various pieces, that's why you can't dash after an effect has reduced your speed to zero for the turn. Your pool of movement ability is zero, and dash just lets you refill your pool, which is zero. Otherwise, dashing would let you move after something like Sentinel.

You may completely disagree with it, but that is how I see movement working in 5th edition, so, it is a recoverable resource like regenerating health.

So, each seperate ray resolves seperately, removing 10 ft from the target's movement pool until the casters next turn, which it has to say or after being hit 3 times an adventurer would never be allowed to move every again. The ability to hit someone multiple times with this effect is highly unusual.

Also [MENTION=61529]seebs[/MENTION]... that is a terrible comparison with Eldritch Blast. Part of the reason it isn't worded as an effect with a duration is because that makes no sense as an effect. What would it even mean? "for the next turn, you are treated as ten feet further west than you actually are" So, I act like I got pushed off the cliff, but since I didn't actually get pushed off the cliff I don't act like I got pushed off the cliff and instead have tea with Schrodinger's Cat?

I get what you were trying to say, but it would also be possible (if not as Tormyr points out the ability of Eldritch Blast to push you out of its own range) to read the ability as getting hit 3 times, but only getting pushed 10 ft total, because effects do not stack.

Honestly, this comes down to a playstyle difference, and even then, doesn't truly matter that much because I think we can all agree the Lich has better uses for his Legendary action in most fights, if he's stupid or unlucky enough to be forced into an actual fight.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Secondly, unlike ability score damage, movement is something you are constantly spending and refilling. To my way of looking at the various pieces, that's why you can't dash after an effect has reduced your speed to zero for the turn. Your pool of movement ability is zero, and dash just lets you refill your pool, which is zero. Otherwise, dashing would let you move after something like Sentinel.

You may completely disagree with it, but that is how I see movement working in 5th edition, so, it is a recoverable resource like regenerating health.

So, each seperate ray resolves seperately, removing 10 ft from the target's movement pool until the casters next turn, which it has to say or after being hit 3 times an adventurer would never be allowed to move every again. The ability to hit someone multiple times with this effect is highly unusual.

To my way of thinking, damage is just a total that you put aside and periodically check against your hitpoints. This means that whenever a spell asks if your hitpoints are below a certain number, the answer doesn't vary based on how much damage you have, since you still have all your hitpoints, you just have some amount of damage as well.

Tormyr

Hero
The level 19 party at my table picked a fight with a lich last Wednesday. They probably didn't want to, but the fighter was under the effect of dominate monster from a bard that had been the recipient of the lich's unwanted advances and wanted him killed. The lich could not understand why the lillend did not accept his offer of being reformed into a different kind of creature... The bard lillend instructed the fighter through the song to influence the party to kill the lich.

So after being invited inside his keep, the special hydras kept at bay, the dominated fighter walked up to the lich and said, "Thank you for inviting us in. We have so much to talk about with retrieving the lillend for you, but right now I would like to introduce you to my SWORD!" (player's idea, not mine), and she slashed through the illusion of the lich. The lich sighed, cast cloudkill on the yard while inside his keep, and had the hydras attack those outside the cloudkill. As the fighter fought her way inside, he released a protoplasmic ooze from a forcecage in his lab that turned into an even bigger hydra (double hit points, +16 to hit, extra dice of damage per hit, 50 damage in a turn to lose a head).

First the fighter fell. She was doing well until the lich ducked behind the mega hydra. The party had already had some decent battles that day. The monk and cleric stormed into the lab after defeating the hydras in the courtyard. The monk was already beaten up a bit, and the lich cast power word: kill. The cleric stormed forward and fought the lich toe to toe, but the lich eventually connected with his paralyzing touch. The cleric fell, and the lich finished her off.

At this point, the lich was maddened that he had lost his mega hydra (which was actually going to transported into the lillend via a modified gate spell, turning her into one of his creations) and the fighter, the first of his kills (who had been dimension doored to the courtyard by the wizard. In his maddened state, he fought to the death. The wizard and sorcerer were on fumes, but the managed to finish the lich off. The wizard crushed his transmutation stone over the cleric, and she came back to life and cast revivify on the fighter and monk.

So, yeah, liches, are tough. This was not his main home, but he still had some power to bring to bear, and the lair actions definitely kept him from some damage.

Remove ads