• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lich Incredible Legendary Action Economy

Tormyr

Hero
Did you get the lich's phylactry?
No, they did not. The lich had been in this lair for only a couple of decades. The party determined through divination that his phylactery was hundreds of miles away.

What the party does not know is that this lich has fallen in the past. He makes a point to not seek out those that defeat him for revenge, fearing that they would just defeat him again.

No, they did not. The lich had been in this lair for only a couple of decades. The party determined through divination that his phylactery was hundreds of miles away.

What the party does not know is that this lich has fallen in the past. He makes a point to not seek out those that defeat him for revenge, fearing that they would just defeat him again.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. The lich will wait for the players to die by somebody else's hand and will come back to animate their remains.

seebs

Adventurer
I get what you were trying to say, but it would also be possible (if not as Tormyr points out the ability of Eldritch Blast to push you out of its own range) to read the ability as getting hit 3 times, but only getting pushed 10 ft total, because effects do not stack.

No, it wouldn't, not any more than it would be possible to read the ability as getting hit 3 times, but only taking 1d10 total, because effects do not stack.

"Effects" refers only to things that persist over time and then expire.

Chaosmancer

Legend
To my way of thinking, damage is just a total that you put aside and periodically check against your hitpoints. This means that whenever a spell asks if your hitpoints are below a certain number, the answer doesn't vary based on how much damage you have, since you still have all your hitpoints, you just have some amount of damage as well.

Cool

To the speed increases and decreases... does this really matter that much guys? I mean, this is never going to come up in my games against the players, and if it did no one is going to pull out the PHB and quote rules at me, they are going to try and work around it.

If they are fighting a Lich, Lich should be throwing more impressive stuff out. If they are fighting a cabal of mages... well, I can use 3 rays of frost to stop one guy in his tracks or 3 fireballs to hit the party for much more reliable and bigger damage. I know which the mages are going to use if they want the party dead.

I like to have the idea in my toolbox as a cool thematic moment, nothing more nothing less.

Secondly, unlike ability score damage, movement is something you are constantly spending and refilling. To my way of looking at the various pieces, that's why you can't dash after an effect has reduced your speed to zero for the turn. Your pool of movement ability is zero, and dash just lets you refill your pool, which is zero. Otherwise, dashing would let you move after something like Sentinel.

As an aside: you can't Dash after Sentinel hits you, but you can technically ready a move. Since Sentinel lasts only for your current turn, when your trigger occurs ("when anybody else moves" maybe?) you have your regular movement back and can move just fine.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Well, I don't actually do that, because all sorts of things would break if I did. It's an example of how interpreting the rules in a radically different way to how the book seems to describe them lead to odd results.
To the speed increases and decreases... does this really matter that much guys? I mean, this is never going to come up in my games against the players, and if it did no one is going to pull out the PHB and quote rules at me, they are going to try and work around it.
Have you told the players that this is how things work? Because otherwise you've sort of made a ruling that affects only monsters in a highly beneficial way, and the only way the players will find out about it is when you abuse it against them...

Chaosmancer

Legend
Well, I don't actually do that, because all sorts of things would break if I did. It's an example of how interpreting the rules in a radically different way to how the book seems to describe them lead to odd results.

Have you told the players that this is how things work? Because otherwise you've sort of made a ruling that affects only monsters in a highly beneficial way, and the only way the players will find out about it is when you abuse it against them...

I have one player who is a wizard, and she decided to try and play a pacifist.

So... since no one has Ray of Frost, access to Ray of Frost, or interest in Ray of Frost... no I haven't talked about it too them. And, I imagine they interpret the rules relatively close to the way I do, so they would be more shocked to hear it doesn't stack than it does stack.

I've got a few different houserules for Warlocks that have never come up either.

If you are curious about my current line-up, all level 6 going to 7

Changeling Swashbuckler
Mystborn (Shifter) Assassin
Mystborn (Shifter) Beastmaster w/ Hawk (old version as player didn't wish to switch)
Mystborn (Shifter) Sun Soul Monk 3 /Druid 3 (story reasons)
Gnome Enchanter Wizard
Elf Assassin
Human Gunslinger

Remove ads